Italy Divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Italy Divide

Post by jameso »

Anyone been watching this? Pretty interesting race. Off-route errors, mechanicals and now snow on the big pass near the end. Jay P out of the lead 3 with a mechanical after keeping pace with James Hayden (who's F-A-F on road), now James is holed up in a hotel to sit out the snow it seems - a time when you expect Jay P may have carried on. The snow on a webcan doesn't look too deep (ha.. he says, rather them than me!) but it's been a wet, cold race by the look of it.

In the lead now is Sofiane Sehili, a French rider with a 16-day TD 3rd spot under his belt. He's going up into the snow...

Was rooting for James, he's been riding well, on a drop-bar Fairlight where clearly something a bit more off-road biased would have helped in many sections. Have to say though, hat off to the boldness of Sofiane right now. I hope it's a move that wins it for him rather than costs him too much energy. From his riding history I'm inclined to think he's of the Jay P mentality and knows what he's doing. A great way to win a race, if that's how it turns out.

http://trackleaders.com/italydivide19
Last edited by jameso on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Re: Italy Divde

Post by sean_iow »

I've been following it on trackleaders, mainly to see how Stu Taylor is doing and the other brits but also following the battle at the front of the race.

I've only been looking at the distances to go and so had no idea about the weather or conditions. With less than 100k left to go I was thinking that it might be won by lunchtime and that it would be a sprint for the line....but if there's a snow covered mountain pass to get over that might not be the case. I seem to make the same mistake when estimating the time left on my own rides and fail to take into account the conditions/profile :lol:

I'm always amazed how close it can be at the finish, after 1130km there is only 6km between 1st and 2nd.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

UK riders Matt Falconer, Scott Cornish, Ed Wolstenholme and Stu Tayor all look to be going well. Matt's been pushing the leaders but seems to have dropped back a bit since yesterday.

Fascinating how it's unfolding up front right now, perhaps based on rider background? JH on twitter saying it "would be stupid" to go to 1800m in the snow. He's "in cycling kit not mountain gear". SS has gone up, though is going off route a little. He may not see that as daft and may be better equipped (an event going up to 1800m in April in N Italy?). Would be interesting if carrying a good jacket all that way enabled a move that decided the race - speculation though, no idea what SS is carrying.

Interesting to me how rider's backgrounds influence this. James (strong TTer) has won the TCR and in doing so one year took busy roads that others avoided (inc the leader up to that point, though unsure if it was a decisive difference based on traffic/road type or simply navigation/tactic planning differences). Here another rider with perhaps different experience has made a similarly different call? Perhaps James is right - he may have won by letting Sofiane go ahead and make a more serious routing error under pressure. Both have gone off-route a little now but nothing major.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Been watching a mate, Jason Woodhouse and Team JMC mate, going well at the moment, but some of the hike-a-bike, he is 670km in, conditions do look tough though
gairym

Post by gairym »

It's been interesting following things this year.

My Chamonix buddy Scott was riding really well but he's had a few routing issues (didn't get the updated route the day before the start) and saddle issues and so is now just planning to get to the finish as opposed to flogging himself for position.

Shame about JPs mechanicals but that's how it goes I suppose.

I knew a guy who did it on a standard CX/gravel bike a couple of years ago and he suffered when the going got wet/snowy.

Perfect for the first 3/4s of the route but then you're in the mountains in April and so anything could happen. It's a gamble either way.

Some impressive mileages being put in by a lot of riders.

I fancy moseying the route at some point but too serious for me to consider the mass start anytime soon.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Raced it last year and some of the old snow pack was seven foot above the trail/road but the route was clear.
Looking at the speeds of the leaders it is far from clear this year, they are just about to drop back into the valley then back up to 1500m on a road climb and just when you think it is all downhill to the finish you have a narrow trail with a huge bit of exposure which when you're tired is a worry to ride, in these conditions it will definitely be a push and possibly dark :roll:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sounds / looks like a tough route to race at this time of year.
the updated route the day before the start
Was that preplanned/expected? If not, that's a bit poor on the organisers part. That may be the basis of JH's minor off-route then, he said his GPS showed the right route taken there.

Scott was well up there early on. Despite him taking that drop-bar bike to places like this, Israel etc :grin:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

jameso wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:52 pm Sounds / looks like a tough route to race at this time of year.
the updated route the day before the start
Was that preplanned/expected? If not, that's a bit poor on the organisers part. That may be the basis of JH's minor off-route then, he said his GPS showed the right route taken there.

Scott was well up there early on. Despite him taking that drop-bar bike to places like this, Israel etc :grin:
All I will say is that last years GPX's could have been better :roll:

I rode a hardtail with front suspension and although it was over the top for a lot of the route I would do the same again.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Javi

Post by Javi »

Following the race, too. Also there is Mike Sheldrake, whom I rode bits together in North Cape to Tarifa. Then he did Silk Mountain race on a gravel bike and he's going to do HT550. Really nice bloke.

Sofiane Sehili's bike is more capable than James Hayden's, adding more comfort. I expected James fitness to win this but it's proving a very spicy finish. It was sold as very sunny weather this year. Sofiane rode 10000km from France to Eastern China unsupported in 88 days. He also rode bits in US, another 10000km.

But now...it looks like they are both riding together, sprint finish? Rooting for Sofiane.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

There's a Boner in amongst them - Brenin Beener (Ian) and his other half are 600 and odd km in. Ruth's been posting pics on Strava. Looks like they've had a bit of a mix of weather.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

James Hayden just posted on Instagram that he and Sofiane will finish together out of respect for each other. Amazing race to follow. :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Unpredictable but great finish. Quite an event to follow :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:34 pm There's a Boner in amongst them - Brenin Beener (Ian) and his other half are 600 and odd km in. Ruth's been posting pics on Strava. Looks like they've had a bit of a mix of weather.

Is Ian's Strava public? If so do you have the link?

Loved this last day of following it. Wish I remembered and followed it from the start!
In Reverse

Re: Italy Divide

Post by In Reverse »

I'm not sure if it's public or not, but if you search for "Brenin Beener" on Strava I'd imagine he's the only one on there.