TDR Info

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

TDR Info

Post by GregMay »

Short version,

Some of you have commented that my TDR posts were of value. You may notice if you were looking for them, they are gone. Website host was going nuts with charges and I've just cancelled it.

I have all the words. I have the photos. I'm going to put them all together, edit them a bit better, then pop them into a PDF, probably with a post script 3 years on.

No idea where it will live yet, but it will be available if anyone wants it.
redefined_cycles

Re: TDR Info

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes please Greg
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Will do.

It may take a while though.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I remember there being a lot of words and only read a few of them*, so that would be fantastic :-bd

If you’re going into the trouble of pdf, how about a magazine format thingy?

*this reads really badly...! I don’t mean it that way :oops:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Greg, I run a small WordPress site, you're more than welcome to paste it all on there, if that would help ?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:49 pm I remember there being a lot of words and only read a few of them*, so that would be fantastic :-bd

If you’re going into the trouble of pdf, how about a magazine format thingy?

*this reads really badly...! I don’t mean it that way :oops:

No offence taken :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ootini wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm Greg, I run a small WordPress site, you're more than welcome to paste it all on there, if that would help ?
Currently trying to sort something out. But I may take you up on that.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Every now and again I need to remind myself that people are inherently good. Or rather, something reminds me that they are.

Website went nuts, well over 350GB of excess traffic, massive charge emerged in my mailbox, panic cancel subscription to stop any more happening, panic search for new host, etc etc. Lots of calm, directed responses from host, they figure it's random bots, reset everything, remove all charges, restore all my deleted data.

10 years of posts didn't go down the drain. Yes I had a backup, yes I could have started again, but there are a good few people a month who visit and I wanted to keep a lot of the posts that people do read alive. Relieved and once again impressed at humanity.

But, it has prompted me to do what I'd planned but couldn't face up to.

I'm going to revisit the TDR posts - tidy them up - then present them in a published form.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 pm Every now and again I need to remind myself that people are inherently good. Or rather, something reminds me that they are.

[...]

Relieved and once again impressed at humanity.

[...]
Good stuff :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm going to revisit the TDR posts - tidy them up - then present them in a published form.
I'm looking forward to re-reading them :smile: I read the posts at the time and they read as a much more raw and realistic account of what racing the TD is really like. So many of peoples accounts have them enjoying themselves for the whole race, albeit with a moan about being tired or having a sore backside.

But even my experience of shorter events means I know it's not all roses and your account really captures the highs and the lows of the race.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Yes, I'm glad you got it sorted - I've been one of you regular readers since your Tour Divide account. As Sean said, it was a very honest and original account - you managed to get across the thoughts that go through your mind when at a low ebb, rather than try to dress it up. I've been waiting for you to go back and do it again though! :wink:
faustus

Post by faustus »

Glad it got sorted, as i've read it a few times and recommended it to others. As others have said, the rawness and honesty is what makes it work. And the length really works too, it gives a good sense of the huge scale of travel. I really don't think you need to do much editing to it really. I've read a few TD accounts now, and yours is one of my favourites.

Hope you do get it published somehow, i'd pick up a copy or pdf. Also been looking out to see if you'd try it again...i'm guessing a young child and the thought of more nerve damage in your wrists/hands probably doesn't make it an easy decision!
giryan

Post by giryan »

https://medium.com/ is a pretty good place to post things, and use as a blog. I think it's essentially free. If it's for a set of posts that you don't want the trouble of running a full blog for it might be worth looking at.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Also wondering if you're going back for another shot Greg? I know at the time that had been your plan, but I guess times change!