Budget jacket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

38thfoot

Budget jacket

Post by 38thfoot »

After some nominations for a budget jacket for MTB. I’ve been using my decathlon running jacket which is shower proof/wind resistant and I also have a berghaus eVent walking jacket which is waterproof but not ideal for cycling.

I’ve mostly looked decathlon rockrider ST500
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st500-water ... 29741.html

And the decathlon st900

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st900-water ... 46224.html

Anyone got any experience of either? I’m not going to be competing at a high (or any ) level but will be doing mostly day rides with hopefully a couple of over nighters.

Cheers

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Budget jacket

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I personally tend to find waterproof cycling jackets somewhat crap over prolonged periods of heavy rain and seem to have much better results with non-cycling waterproofs.

Current favourite is the Columbia Outdry which can be had for less than £50 on SportPursuit. However, if you're more bothered about looks than staying dry, it might not be for you :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Only size small at £50
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

Small, medium and large for £50 here: https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... Jwb3MiOjV9
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it all depends on what you want it for and i have a number
shower and windproof - mainly used as a layer when its windy in summer tbh- or carried with me in case it gets cold - i would never take it s my actual waterproof

waterproof softshell - varies weight for the season - none have ever leaked on me- aldi ones are fine - couple of mine are over 5 years old and still perform [ not sure i would trust any of them for 14 hours of rain mind /multi day trips but never got wet in them

outdry [as above and recommended from here] light enough for bike packing - not too expensive and its going to keep you dry whatever happens - its not a looker though

it also depends on how much you mind getting wet [ me a lot] and sometimes you are just too hot IME. Its worth spending some money if you want to stay dry.

endura stealth waterproofs[trousers * - can get cold on long days [ the outside is covered with cold wet water but you dont get wet - worth wearing something underneath [ the thermal version are too warm unless its proper winter*]

* the jacket is too warm for most of the weather i get but would be brilliant in 0 degrees and below
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Any great difference betwen the Outdry and the Outdry titanium?
Other than £30?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No real idea but mine's the EX Gold and I can't fault it. I recall Scott had the 'light' version and wasn't quite so keen.

EDIT: I see the EX Gold is only available in small (noted above) but this one looks the nearest to it. The additional liner / inner might be a good thing - same money.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... 9zIjo0fQ==
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 am
No real idea but mine's the EX Gold and I can't fault it. I recall Scott had the 'light' version and wasn't quite so keen.

EDIT: I see the EX Gold is only available in small (noted above) but this one looks the nearest to it. The additional liner / inner might be a good thing - same money.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... 9zIjo0fQ==
From the looks of it and the blurb in tgat jacket description. Its not an additional liner but the reverse side when reveresed.. I think
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From the looks of it and the blurb in tgat jacket description. Its not an additional liner but the reverse side when reveresed.. I think
I didn't think it was, although perhaps I should have said 'lining' rather than 'liner'. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Looks like you've finally started talking American... :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The day I walk into a shop and greet the assistant with "can I get" anyone and everyone is welcome to punch me in the face ... unless I've transformed into an American teenage girl overnight.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I bought a Regatta waterproof (Yeah, I know. I was surprised too!) from Go Outdoors that has surpassed all my expectations for it's price. Price matched it instore on Regatta's website and got another 10% off. Decent length sleeves, decent hood, doesn't rustle and so on. It's not slinky bike cut, nor is it like a sail!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:52 pm
The day I walk into a shop and greet the assistant with "can I get" anyone and everyone is welcome to punch me in the face ... unless I've transformed into an American teenage girl overnight.
I get unduly annoyed by this as well, if I wanted to ‘get’ a coffee myself I’d not be paying. Arrrrrrrgh!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:52 pm
You mean a British teenage girl. Trust me I know
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

think the best ones out of decathlon were the forclaz 500 hiking jacket ,long enough for cycling in ,after how impressed I've been with Madison dte trousers I think this winter coming in gonna get me the dte jacket ,nothing has got through the trousers apart from when I've stood in a bog and it's gone up the leg holes
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Alpkit Squalline jacket I bought just after xmas has been great, went on a night ride in the lashing rain and was very impressed with its performance albeit only for 2hrs. Quick shake and it was ready to go again, comfortable and packable in its own rear pocket.
Fits like a glove :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams