Frame bag faffing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Frame bag faffing

Post by FLV »

Due to it being proper soaking today, I went for a very short ride then retired to the garage to faff about a bit with my frame bag 'collection' and new frame.

First check, my custom frame bag made for a kona raijin by wildcat.

Conclusion = doesnt fit.

Next up, custom made bag made for a large salsa el mariachi with 2x bottles (wildcat again)

Conclusion = kind of works, but sub optimal fit

Third, my last and oldest bag. Revelate tangle medium. This one looks the best fit to me and will be the one I'll use for now.

Next bit of faffing involves the internet and looking at bigger than the revelate tangle. The only things I can find that are bigger and look like they would fit are the Large Tangle from revelate or the Large Apidura.

Each offer about 1.5 to 2L extra space and each would eliminate the bottle cage. Not an issue mostly but I am considering bottles for the Tuscany Trail to keep the heat of a pack off my back.

Anyone got any sage advice, I have to say I'm a bit out of touch with the amount of options there are. I think custom bags will always offer the best fit if well measured and made, but with Wildcat gone I am not sure who would be the next choice.

Cheers fellow faffers :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Frame bag faffing

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My first batch of Acepac stuff should be here very shortly Dave. They may have something that'll work.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience of Apidura is that although they are well made they come up small compared to claimed capacity. They are noticeably thinner than my other bags eg. Alpkit and Wildcat. Best that in mind when choosing
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:51 pm My first batch of Acepac stuff should be here very shortly Dave. They may have something that'll work.
Acepac?
Ive completely missed any info around this :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Polish outfit Dave. They make some very nice stuff which includes some really thoughtful touches. Have you got your frame dimensions and I'll take some measurements if you like.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ah. Yeah I'll go measure in a few mins
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I got this after selling my Tangle. Fitting into same frame the Almpamayo gave me some extra room (or is it in my head... pretty sure its not :roll: )... If you wanna try on for size you more than welcome Dave...

https://backcountry.scot/product/alpama ... frame-bag/
FLV

Post by FLV »

roughly ignoring angles and a slight curve in the seat tube, inside frame measurements

FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks Shafiq, what size did you get? The large look like what a lont of manufacturers do and remove the slope at the front lower area. Tends to make the bigger bags better for tourers etc. Be interesting to know what size you have
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll have a measure Dave. I've got M and L roll top frame bags here.
redefined_cycles

Mine is a large (no2) I believe Dave...

Them Acepac things seem to be some well priced good kit and if they fit will really increase your capacity nicely...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A large roll-top bag is 510mm across the TT and 140mm high ... I'm now thinking after seeing your drawing, that you want a full frame bag though.

FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks stu. Interesting design that acepac. Does the roll top bulk out the sides at all?

I think you might be right about a full frame bag. Im just starting to try out using a hydration pack again as ive noticed im really not drinking very much out of bottles. Not sure why but ill give it a try.

For riding in hot weather i'd always preferred to bot use a backpack but then carrying 3L of water elsewhere is a lot of bottles bolted on all over the place.

Not sure where to get a full pack without going custom.
Might all be too late for 1st june too.
redefined_cycles

I reckon Alpkit would be able to fast track you on one of their stingrays... especially since the factory is so local(ish) to you...
psling

Post by psling »

I'd use the Wildcat (for Salsa) but move it forwards and strap a spare tube between it and the seat tube. Better access for 2 bottles and the spare tube will visually fill the 'gap' (and uses that bit of space). :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

psling wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:54 am I'd use the Wildcat (for Salsa) but move it forwards and strap a spare tube between it and the seat tube. Better access for 2 bottles and the spare tube will visually fill the 'gap' (and uses that bit of space). :-bd
This is exactly what I've done with the Revelate bag on my Amazon.

P1050610 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
redefined_cycles

Now I understand what you meant (noticed it mentioned somewhere before) "Amazon"... Lovely bike that there Van Nich :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm
This is exactly what I've done with the Revelate bag on my Amazon.
Scary! But yes, exactly what I was thinking. Certainly appears to work well on that bike/bag combo.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.