Garmin Replacement

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Garmin Replacement

Post by dlovett »

My edge 1000 has finally died and Garmin want £200 for an out of warranty repair, four days before I fly to Sweden

Whats the best option out there happy to consider other brands. It just has to be able to display maps, show/navigate a route and be easy to get hold of quickly. I have a tiny garmin 25, but route display is rubbish with way to zoom the line in or out.

I have been using Kommot on my phone lately, but I would rather have two devices that can navigate.

Cheers
PaulB2

Re: Garmin Replacement

Post by PaulB2 »

The Edge 520 plus is 'only' 199 from wiggle (probably because they've just announced the new Edge 530). It's got all the same functionality as the old 520 but with mapping:

DC Rainmaker review
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I'd buy whatever the up-to-date version is. Do you want to be learning a new device while on holiday?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is the Edge 1030 the current version? Halfords have it listed at £419.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyclin ... e-computer

You can check if they have stock and find out where the nearest one is and reserve it. This close to flying I'd not want to be ordering on-line.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Im a huge fan of my Wahoo Bolt, but th enew edge 530 review on DC rainmaker looks amazing
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:22 pm TBH I'd buy whatever the up-to-date version is. Do you want to be learning a new device while on holiday?
Not too worried about figuring it out, I pick these things up pretty quickly. I’m thinking something non Garmin might be nice for a change as the edges haven’t been that reliable for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why not a non-cycling Garmin? They seem much more reliable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

My old etrex 20 is bang on for navigation , has no bells and whistles ,just does exactly what I bought it for,coming up for 6 years of use and has never had a major flip ,froze now and again but sorts itself quickly
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:44 pm Why not a non-cycling Garmin? They seem much more reliable.
I’ve got an old extrex just no way of putting routes into it as it’s sera and not usb. To be honest the 830’s hydration and MTB features look interesting, shame it’s not out till May. Perhaps I need to find a cheap usb extrex 2nd hand to last till may.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Does anybody use a Garmin watch for navigation? If so which model.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I use a wahoo bolt. Very reliable. Can record up to 200 miles (13 hours) before it dies.

I personally wouldn't use my fenix for navigating as looking at my wrist even to see speed is hard.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I should add I was an avid Garmin fan. 800,820 and 1000 all used extensively. Wish I got on the wahoo boat sooner.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm I should add I was an avid Garmin fan. 800,820 and 1000 all used extensively. Wish I got on the wahoo boat sooner.
+1 to this... I discarded (sold for cheap) my 520 and 1000 and 720 and kept the Wahoo. It just works and works well
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I’ve got an old extrex just no way of putting routes into it as it’s sera and not usb
I have the serial to usb adapter and original garmin cable to attach to an old garmin etrex

Free if you want it [ dont have the GPS but figured one day someone would ask for one!]
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 pm
I’ve got an old extrex just no way of putting routes into it as it’s sera and not usb
I have the serial to usb adapter and original garmin cable to attach to an old garmin etrex

Free if you want it [ dont have the GPS but figured one day someone would ask for one!]
Thanks for the offer, I have one, but the software then becomes and issue with modern macs and pcs
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

if you send the Edge 1000 back for repair Garmin will likely send you an Edge 1030 as a replacement.

How about an Garmin Oregon 600?

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/2997 ... tml/983304

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/b ... n-700.html
didn't have the 600

interestingly, proved difficult to find, out of stock in many places
makes one wonder if a replacement is on its way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

To be honest if I am going to spend 200-300 I will most likely wait a few months for the new 830. On the meantime it’s find an heap 2nd etrex or hire one from somewhere if I can. Any ideas on who hires them out?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The new 530 looks like it has potential. I like that it's buttons rather than touchscreen too.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks to the guys that messaged me about lending me a Garmin. My downstairs neighbour kindly has swapped my Edge25 for his 810, so I have a proper mapping solution along with Komoot for Cabin Fever.