What Quilt?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

What Quilt?

Post by Escape Goat »

Had some input already from a good source, but wanted to ask the question out there for more people....

Looking at getting a quilt for the WRT as my winter bag is going to be way too warm...then, my summer bag is a cheap one and the same weight...so that got me looking at the Cumulus Quantum 200 sleeping bag, then I remembered that I didn't have enough money!

Thats when quilts came into question, seen a post on here that lead me to the Cumulus Quilt 150 and I was also pointed in the direction of the Alpkit Could Cover...

Has anyone got any input?

Thanks very much!
dlovett

Re: What Quilt?

Post by dlovett »

Have a look at the UKHammocks quilts. have two of their custom ones. Light and warm and not too expensive.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

dlovett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 pm Have a look at the UKHammocks quilts. have two of their custom ones. Light and warm and not too expensive.

Hey bud, struggling to find them...you got a link?

Thanks!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://rockrun.com/products/cumulus-qu ... R4QAvD_BwE

Was my choice and so far so chuffed
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A big fan of Cumulus quilts with the 250 and the 450.
For me the 150 will not be warm enough in all but the hottest weather.

But today I tried (in the garden) my Alpkit Cloud Cover quilt (which I use as my hammock under quilt) with the press studs fastened in the same mode as the Cumulus and although a bit tighter if you are 5' 8" or shorter it could be the better option.

It's cheaper
It's in stock
It's down is hydrophobic
It packs down into (so as small as) my Cumulus 250 stuff sack
It's from a UK company
Is has an in built stuff sack
It can be opens up completely so can be used under a hammock or opened up if it's hot.
It feels much warmer and thicker than the Cumulus 250
It's only 40 grams more in weight

Buy one.

I'll be taking mine to the WRT and leaving the Cumulus at home
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm
dlovett wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 pm Have a look at the UKHammocks quilts. have two of their custom ones. Light and warm and not too expensive.

Hey bud, struggling to find them...you got a link?

Thanks!
https://www.ukhammocks.co.uk you might have to call them though they don’t list them on their site.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i'll say exactly the opposite to John. IMO the Cumulus 150 is perfect for much more than the height of summer. The construction features proper baffles rather than stitch-through and the down quality is higher than the Cloud Cover. It's also lighter and packs smaller. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do a search on here for "Cumulus" and you'll find a lot of love :wink:

I got a 150 initially to augment my summer bag for UK three/four season use but now use it in summer in preference to the bag (PHD Minimus 200). I'd say the 150 is fine for a good portion of the year, around now to mid-October, if you are a warm sleeper but the 250 is better if you are a cold sleeper. This weekend up in Scotland I was fine with the 150 for example but then the temperatures were somewhat exceptional for the time of year. A lot of ITT riders have the 150.

Cumulus changed the design of their quilts in 2018 mine's the older style, see picture, which is a different shape. I think Phil's (htrider) is the new design.

The new design is more rectangular down to the footbox, which is now zipped so the whole quilt can be fully opened up in the same way that the Alpkit Cloudcover can. The new design is also 10cm wider, I'm a side sleeper and the old design was only just wide enough to drape down to the sides and not leave a gap for a draught. The new design is much more similar to those from Enlightened Equipment in the USA.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

whitestone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 am Do a search on here for "Cumulus" and you'll find a lot of love :wink:

I got a 150 initially to augment my summer bag for UK three/four season use but now use it in summer in preference to the bag (PHD Minimus 200). I'd say the 150 is fine for a good portion of the year, around now to mid-October, if you are a warm sleeper but the 250 is better if you are a cold sleeper. This weekend up in Scotland I was fine with the 150 for example but then the temperatures were somewhat exceptional for the time of year. A lot of ITT riders have the 150.

Cumulus changed the design of their quilts in 2018 mine's the older style, see picture, which is a different shape. I think Phil's (htrider) is the new design.

The new design is more rectangular down to the footbox, which is now zipped so the whole quilt can be fully opened up in the same way that the Alpkit Cloudcover can. The new design is also 10cm wider, I'm a side sleeper and the old design was only just wide enough to drape down to the sides and not leave a gap for a draught. The new design is much more similar to those from Enlightened Equipment in the USA.

Interesting to hear that the ITTers have this as well. Do you sleep with a jacket and insulated hat on too? (Just wondering) last month it was about 4 degrees in Snowdonia and I was in my Panyam all wrapped up with warm layers on and was so toasty...but the weather has changed so much, seams that recently I don't think it's dropped below 6 or 7 around where the WRT is set to take us this year!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:52 am i'll say exactly the opposite to John. IMO the Cumulus 150 is perfect for much more than the height of summer. The construction features proper baffles rather than stitch-through and the down quality is higher than the Cloud Cover. It's also lighter and packs smaller. :wink:
A smaller package is useful sometimes, I am looking for something that will fit in the bar bag (Only got about 2 or 3 litres left....

All about learning really isn't it. I know how to keep warm in winter now, but now It's a new season, I'm back to being lost :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A smaller package is useful sometimes, I am looking for something that will fit in the bar bag (Only got about 2 or 3 litres left....
You could probably compress the 150 down to around 3l.
Do you sleep with a jacket and insulated hat on too?
Never often wear a jacket, I prefer to lay it out flat and sandwich it between me and quilt as an additional layer - I find it much more beneficial. If it's cold enough for a properly insulated hat then I'd likely be under a 350. I do usually wear a thin merino beanie but that's just really to keep my hair out of my eyes :wink:
All about learning really isn't it.
Without doubt. I imagine for some of us that's possibly one of the great pleasures.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:35 am
You could probably compress the 150 down to around 3l.
Do you sleep with a jacket and insulated hat on too?
Never often wear a jacket, I prefer to lay it out flat and sandwich it between me and quilt as an additional layer - I find it much more beneficial. If it's cold enough for a properly insulated hat then I'd likely be under a 350. I do usually wear a thin merino beanie but that's just really to keep my hair out of my eyes :wink:
All about learning really isn't it.
Without doubt. I imagine for some of us that's possibly one of the great pleasures.

Brilliant. Thanks everyone! I don't have to worry about keeping my hair out of my eyes any more, but I may just get a cumulus. Very happy with their quality so far!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Cumulus 250 (old version). There are definitely a few nights per year it's too warm, even up here in the Scottish Highlands, but not enough that I'd also buy a 150. Can't fault anything about the quilt really, though I've played around with the cordage a bit. Having removed all the cords now, I do find the quilt stays in place better using it inside a bivvy bag rather than a tent.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had a 250 for the last year and used it on its own all but once on the winter event, value for money I don't think you can beat it ,if your a cold sleeper I'd say it's good from march through to November ,wasn't sure about quilts till I got one ,now I think they are a brilliant idea if it's too warm leave the quilt unattached to the mat and you can manipulate it too suit ,if it's close to the limit temps then just use the straps round the mat and it makes you all snuggly warm :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The thing with (summer) ITTs is that you aren't necessarily wanting a full night's sleep rather a short kip to recover as much as possible so you are aiming to be comfortable for a couple of hours and hopefully you just start to get cold as it gets light.

Remember that quilts (and bags) are all rated as if you were wearing thin thermals. This also means that you don't have bare skin next to your sleeping pad which can feel clammy when it's warmer, you also prevent/reduce body sweat getting in to the quilt.

Like Colin I've removed the cords on my older version, the new version has a different attachment system.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've also got a Cumulus 150. Used it in summer in Spain, used it in winter in the UK and it was fine at both temperatures.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Loving all the input. It's so dependent on what you've eaten, where you've pitched, maybe even how much physical excursion you've expelled in the day.

I'm tempted to go for the 150. Very tempted. I've got a few things to sell first before I throw caution to the wind and let MBNA pay for it for a month until payday comes.

I'd consider a 250 also, but I can't find them in stock. It would help with my 3 season bag to beef it up to a 4 season as I don't plan on stopping when it snows or ices up.

Thanks again chaps.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:52 am i'll say exactly the opposite to John. IMO the Cumulus 150 is perfect for much more than the height of summer. The construction features proper baffles rather than stitch-through and the down quality is higher than the Cloud Cover. It's also lighter and packs smaller. :wink:
I was comparing my 250 to the Alpkit quilt.
Not against the 150 quilt
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But, but, but you said
:wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 pm But, but, but you said
:wink:

Fight?
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

Ooh, this is all very interesting. I can feel some experimentation in the woods coming on.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

For now, I've gone alpkit due to budget.

Will be interesting to try!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Turn the following words into a well known phrase or saying ... economy, false. :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am
Turn the following words into a well known phrase or saying ... economy, false. :wink:

Well That popped my bubble. Thought I made the right choice....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I made the right choice....
Maybe you have and didn't mean to burst any bubbles but looking back through the post I see one recommendation for the Cloud cover and maybe ten times that for the Cumulus? There is a difference of nearly £50 betwen the two which could well swing any decision.