Bubbler GPS tracker

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Bubbler GPS tracker

Post by JohnClimber »

What is the collectives views on Bubbler GPS tracker
Is it a one off payment or a monthly subscription please?
middleagedmadness

Re: Bubbler GPS tracker

Post by middleagedmadness »

Don't know about the cost John but if it's for your phone and you loose cell coverage fo you not loose your GPS as well ? Also would you not be as well using Garmin live track or Strava beacon, if it just a app for the phone ( which is how it read to me) then these two do the same thing ,when you have coverage
JoseMcTavish

Re: Bubbler GPS tracker

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I've been trying out a similar app for the same purpose called GibbyTrip on the iPhone. The advantage over using this instead of Garmin Live Track or Strava Beacon is that it uses much less battery on the phone and GPS unit, probably due to the polling frequency and no need to have the Bluetooth connected all day.

Unfortunately, I've never really had satisfactory results so far. If you start off somewhere with no reception, then there is a good chance you will get absolutely no tracking data for the entire ride unless you restart the process later on when you do have reception. I've also had rides where it has started out well and then lost the plot as I get into the mountains proper and have a long period of no data reception. It's supposed to cache the positions until reception returns, but I've never seen this work successfully. On road rides closer to civilisation, it works faultlessly however!

It could be that Bubbler deals with these issues better and I may give it a shot at some point, though it 's more expensive (Am pretty sure it's just a one-off cost). The issues I've had with GibbyTrip have also applied to both Strava Beacon and Garmin LiveTrack at times, both of which I've been forced to restart during a ride to get the position updates coming through. The Spot Tracker I rented for the HT550 worked perfectly however - shame about the costs!