First Time for Everything

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

First Time for Everything

Post by Mart »

Broke a saddle rail yesterday, puzzled as to why (Brooks Cambium C17/Thompson post)
Broke at the back where the seatpost clamps. been on there for about a year without being adjusted
I did wonder if it was just too much for it with a seatpack hanging off the back

Anyone else had any issues with saddles and bikepacking?
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Re: First Time for Everything

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you search for Cambium on here...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My copy of San Marco Aspide Superleggera carbon did similar... braided carbon rails and only a measly 120g (should be illegal running 17L loaded saddlepack with such a saddle). Didn't brake as such but where the rails enter the rear end of the saddle it well... broke! :-bd

Will try and send a pic later. But a Brooks at their weights surely they shouldn't be braking... right
psling

Post by psling »

It's surprising (or maybe not!) how many bike components have an advised maximum weight limit and I guess with regard to saddles then the weight of kit hanging off it should be considered along with the rider weight (talking generally, not Cambium specific). There will always be a margin but equally, there will always be a fail point over time.
Also, if something metal is clamped in a particular place and never moved/released/adjusted then stress can cause a weak spot over time and certain metals will eventually fail (I have had this happen with a ti handlebar at the stem clamp).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

assume they have to have a maximum weight, no way i can ever get near these limits, but the down side is always always having to own air forks and shocks.

Never broke any beefy component [ seat. crank pedals bars* even] but i have done frames and wheels.

How many bikepackers have broken seats and what types may be a better question [ with their weight] as I dont know anyone who has ever broken a seat rail

* i have bent a set of bars a long time ago and memory suggests a tree was involved in this but i cannot recall it fully.
Mart

Post by Mart »

First time for me ever, 85kg rider and maybe 5kg max of seatpack (estimate as never weighed it)
so 90kg total weight.
2924 miles per Gallon
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Had a rail snap once (can't remember the saddle), but there wasn't any thing other than me and a normal road saddle bag and I was road riding. A guy helped me bodge it with a headless nail and gaffa tape to get me to the nearest bike shop before closing as I was away from home.

I have the c17 all weather and its been fine (so far) on two 'gravel' packing trips, both 4 days with a full saddle bag.
jameso

Post by jameso »

This is why I don't use Ti railed saddles anymore, I've had 2 shear/break at the edge of the clamp. Not sure what grade Ti was used but I went back to good ol' crmo. I guess the Brooks is steel/crmo though?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jameso wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 pm This is why I don't use Ti railed saddles anymore, I've had 2 shear/break at the edge of the clamp. Not sure what grade Ti was used but I went back to good ol' crmo. I guess the Brooks is steel/crmo though?
Can you remember what make saddles they were... I had been planning on getting a ti railed by Selle Italy or San Marco :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Both were made by Velo, I know that - as far as I'm aware San Marco don't (didn't) get their saddles made there. Not sure about Selle Italia, I don't think so though.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've bent two... I assume in crashes rather than being a lardarse.

Never snapped any though.