Lower back pain - alt solution?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Lower back pain - alt solution?

Post by jameso »

Since this topic comes up now and then I thought I'd post some recent experience re the possible causes and solutions, with apologies in advance for a lack of physiological knowledge - if anyone can add to that aspect it'd be good to know more. It's a new fix for me, interested to open up the discussion as a sample of 1 isn't science.

(TLDR - saddle side-profile shape, not just position, may be quite influential in causing or reducing lower back pain, I'm suggesting flatter saddles may be better for some of us, in a way that's not been widely discussed that I'm aware of)

I do get back pain on longer hilly rides, depends on the bike though. I'm more of a gear pusher than a spinner and until fairly recently I couldn't quite touch my toes (I can now but it took a period of regular stretching after a lifetime of not bothering). That combo of low cadence and/or climbing strength with low-ish flexibility seems to be a prime cause of lower back pain - the common description is of hip flexors and hamstring tension pulling/rotating the hips out of natural position and the tension in the lower back comes from resisting that. Add a lower drop-bar bike position and lower back tension can be a common problem.

First phase of this causing me problems was ~8-9 years ago, doing 'hilly 100' type sportives. A chat with a triathlete about bike position suggested that maybe a closed thigh/hip/upper body angle might be the cause. I swapped to an inline post (on a 73.5 STA) and found it did delay or eliminate the problem. First step in realising how important saddle position is.

A while later and I'm not riding a fast road bike and I'm not a fan of sitting too far fwd over the BB as it just shifts weight onto my hands. I'm riding project frames with adjusted geometries and wondering how much of what feels right is based on muscle memory and adaptation and how far I could adapt myself to be comfortable on a less 'normal' bike layout. Cue a period of all kinds of aches and stretching plans... The stretching worked though, backs up that point about hip flexors. Mid-ride I can get back tension pain, get off and stretch for a moment and then carry on. But it's a PITA (PITB?) to break a ride like this. And it was showing up in a stiff back during sleep or in the mornings which worried me.

Looked at things from the start. Saddle position is the base point for long-distance bike fits, that has to be right for anything else to work out. My saddle is a comfy old fave, no problem there. But I move around a fair bit on the bike I'm currently riding. 50-50 time in the drops or the hoods, perhaps >60% in the drops some rides. On and off-road. That affects my hip angle... as (probably) does the shape of my saddle? It's the WTB/Spoon type of shape with a pronounced flat S-curve when seen from the side. That curve does affect comfort, so would it affect position? Seems natural that it would.

Popped a long, flat Arione-copy shape saddle on the bike 3 weeks ago. I seem to settle onto the saddle slightly differently based on using hoods or drops, before I tended to settle onto the same comfy spot on the saddle. I don't know if I'm actually any more efficient but I either had a few good days or I feel as if I may be getting a more effective pedal action in the drops now. Best bit - no more back pain since then. No stiff back when getting up. It stopped almost there and then.

Conclusion?
Any angle or 'scoop' to the saddle can bias our seating position to a particular area of the saddle but different positions (ie drop bars or anything with fore-aft grip range) may need different sit bone / hip angle positions ie the ability to make small adjustments naturally. A scooped design may bias that position to a sweet spot on the saddle. That saddle shape may work to encourage the right hip angle in some riders / on some bikes, for others it may be creating tension as the body tries to compensate for being a few degrees out of ideal alignment. A flat saddle may reduce or eliminate that effect. It allows me to sit fore-aft +/- 1" or so as needed and the saddle itself isn't encouraging any hip rotation since the surface is pretty much all at the same angle to the seat post and BB.
While this may suggest that my saddle wasn't in the right place to start with, I've ridden enough set ups and tinkered with them all enough to know it wasn't far off and the general range of position I've used hasn't made any difference in this respect (aside from knee pain when it was too far back). It's certainly got my interest in bike fitting up again though - I can't assume the set up I have is optimum, just self-selected through experience.

Will report back to see what effect it has on the proper all-day distance rides (did a local 13-15hr mix-terrain route on this bike recently, was off and stretching a fair bit over the last 4hrs so will aim to do that again soon to see). Hopefully it works longer-term and isn't just muscle-memory jolt that's created a change. I hadn't really considered saddle influence in this way and anything that helps keep us comfy for longer helps us go further :-bd
Richard G

Re: Lower back pain - alt solution?

Post by Richard G »

Not particularly related to your post, but I used to suffer from this horrifically, but the reason for mine was very different...

...I basically had no control over / strength in my glutes so the wrong muscles were activating at certain parts of my pedal stroke to compensate. Have done a ton of single leg strength work, a bunch of core work and a boatload of yoga and I can't remember the last time I had significant problems with it (I think it may have been 3 years ago now).

I can still feel it start to happen, but it just takes a bit of concentration to engage the right muscles. When I'm really pushing hard now it almost feels like I'm pedalling with my butt muscles, which is quite odd.

Edit - I'd wager the yoga also helps me deal with being slightly out of alignment, as my body is now happy in a wider range of positions rather than locked into one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, glutes have being the cause of both back and knee pain for me in the past.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

As well as flexibility in the hips it's important to work on the strength of your lower back and core. Yoga sorted me right out, but you can probably distill the important bit down to just sun salutations and planks. 15 minutes every day on those will make a huge difference.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:05 pm Aye, glutes have being the cause of both back and knee pain for me in the past.
Charlotte gets terrible knee pain because of a non-firing glute. I can only imagine how bad it would be if she cycled.
jameso

Post by jameso »

So, possible that glute muscle engagement is linked to saddle shape or freedom to sit correctly with less contact with the saddle? IANAP..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, definitely. That and hip angle for sure.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Do a Pilates class (or Yoga)as well as helping to manage a dodgy back (and knees) it builds good core strength and flexibility which is good for bike riding, particularly when it gets a bit nadgery :mrgreen:
jameso

Post by jameso »

The odd thing is the lower back pain was worst when road riding a number of years back, at a time when I was climbing fairly regularly - my core strength was pretty good. Then, my bike had a curved/scooped saddle. Later, in all the miles I did on road training for the TD I didn't have this issue as the winter roadie had a flat Arione copy saddle.
Not suggesting saddle over yoga and stretching etc, just that there may be a link for me (and if so, others)?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It makes sense though, anything that can affect muscle engagement would change things. It's easy enough to test by sitting too far back on the saddle for most people. It'll feel like you can't pedal properly.

Same goes for a significant modification in tilt.