Bike Packers cafe breakfast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Bike Packers cafe breakfast

Post by JohnClimber »

With the news today that bacon is bad for you and if you eat 3 strip's a day you have a 5 in 1000 chance of bowel cancer.
I can live that that risk

What the hell are bike Packers going to live on at morning cafe stops?

I agree with this new item https://newsthump.com/2015/10/26/joy-of ... -everyone/
fatbikephil

Re: Bike Packers cafe breakfast

Post by fatbikephil »

I must admit, I'm not likely to change my eating habits due to this announcement. Most of the causation factors of many cancers seem to be down to random (bad) luck i.e if your numbers up, your numbers up. The mental health benefits of a bacon roll of a morning outweigh other health risks in my reckoning

Plus doing lots of exercise substantially trumps any health dis-benefits of bad diet.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Most of the causation factors of many cancers seem to be down to random (bad) luck i.e if your numbers up, your numbers up
that is not what the research found.

A five-year study of half a million men and women who have signed up to the UK Biobank research project found those who were more or less keeping to the guidelines, eating on average 76g of red or processed meat per day, had a 20% increased risk of bowel cancer compared with those who averaged 21g a day.

The risk increased by 20% with each extra slice of ham or rasher of bacon (roughly 25g) the study participants ate, and by 19% with each thick slice of roast beef or the edible part of a lamb cutlet (about 50g).

The study also found heavier drinkers of alcohol had an increased risk – up by 24% among those who drank the most alcohol compared with those who drank the least. Eating fibre in the form of breakfast cereals and bread had a protective effect, however. In January, a study commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO) reported fibre also protects against heart disease.
its your diet and your life and your choice just make sure you are informed about it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You may not live forever if you give up bacon , but it'll sure seem like it :|
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Did the study account for other lifestyle factors like social group, work types, exercise, sleeping amounts etc? I've seen some really poorly designed studies for this sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, the evidence is reasonably compelling on processed meat and colorectal cancers, but the numbers are often exaggerated because they haven't properly taken into consideration socio-economic factors.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Richard G wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 pm Did the study account for other lifestyle factors like social group, work types, exercise, sleeping amounts etc? I've seen some really poorly designed studies for this sort of thing.
Over half a million subjects with 10,000 researchers analysing different aspects of the data, so it's pretty comprehensive. The "meat" element isn't the only thing they're looking at tbf.

The WHO have had processed meat as a Class 1 carcingen for a few years now - that means they're as certain of it causing cancer as things like smoking, alcohol, asbestos and UV radiation - so this isn't really news as such, it is quantifying the risk in more detail though. :ugeek:

To answer John's question - beans and 2 fried eggs on brown toast, plus a bowl of muesli and 8 cups of coffee please.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:12 pm You may not live forever if you give up bacon , but it'll sure seem like it :|
I once read that a famous writer ( can't remember who, Evelyn Waugh, maybe), said that there isn't a single pleasure that's worth giving up just to get an extra couple of years in an old peoples home.

Having said that, I find the older I get, the nearer the long dark tunnel gets, the more I think about eating healthily :lol:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
jameso

Post by jameso »

What does count as processed meat in this context? Sausages and salami yes but (I thought) bacon is just sliced and cured. ie what is it that we're avoiding, an excess of a food type, the preservatives, both?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 am What does count as processed meat in this context? Sausages and salami yes but (I thought) bacon is just sliced and cured. ie what is it that we're avoiding, an excess of a food type, the preservatives, both?
It's the chemicals in the curing that are the problem, usually sodium nitrite and potassium nitrate which when heated in the presence of protein in red meat becomes carcinogenic. The chemicals aren't needed for curing, they are mainly food colouring to give the meat a red-pink colour.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I just make sure i take big enough risks during my outdoor pursuits in order to decrease the chance to die from bacon.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm I must admit, I'm not likely to change my eating habits due to this announcement. Most of the causation factors of many cancers seem to be down to random (bad) luck i.e if your numbers up, your numbers up. The mental health benefits of a bacon roll of a morning outweigh other health risks in my reckoning

Plus doing lots of exercise substantially trumps any health dis-benefits of bad diet.
Are you familiar with cognitive dissonance at all :wink:

On topic -
Avocado on toast makes a nice breakfast and available in some places
I like scrambled tofu sometimes with spinach and mushrooms and spices (first had it in a café in Moab)
Tattie scone and beans
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

On the bright side, you can get nitrite free bacon now, and it's delicious. On the other hand... nitrite free bacon actually does contain nitrite, it's just that it comes from natural sources (so basically, from a scientific viewpoint, it makes no difference!)

Edit - I believe there's one brand that has ACTUAL nitrite free though. Finnebrogue. It's expensive though, and doesn't last as long in the fridge. But I guess that's what you pay for it being healthier!

Vaguely related, if you want to know more foods that'll kill you...
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2019/04 ... ow-do.html
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I like scrambled tofu
I've just wet my pants. =)) =)) =))
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve opted for a veggie breakfast occasionally, it’s much less heavy on the stomach although I did miss the evil bacon. That said near our Birmingham depot in Aston you can buy a breakfast wrap with chopped bacon,sausage, egg and lots of crispy black pudding :X its heaven.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anything i can get my hands on if im honest :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 pm Anything i can get my hands on if im honest :lol:
And what about for breakfast?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:YMSICK:
Mike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:54 pm Anything i can get my hands on if im honest :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:00 pm
And what about for breakfast?
:lol: . Mike's easily on a par with me at enjoying the favours of random nice ladies on his travels according to his reports :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 pm I’ve opted for a veggie breakfast occasionally, it’s much less heavy on the stomach although I did miss the evil bacon. That said near our Birmingham depot in Aston you can buy a breakfast wrap with chopped bacon,sausage, egg and lots of crispy black pudding :X its heaven.
Hope that's the black country kitchen your using Steve they used to do a boiled bacon and cabbage cob for us of a certain Celtic decent :lol: