Tubeless repair on ITTs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Tubeless repair on ITTs

Post by In Reverse »

Anyone bother taking CO2/anchovies and all the associated bits, or do you chuck a tube (or tubes) and pump in the bag?

I always take the full tubeless shebang when out on the FS but never bother for an ITT. Weight reasons I suppose, although thinking about it I've never actually checked which is lighter. :geek:
sean_iow

Re: Tubeless repair on ITTs

Post by sean_iow »

I have a pump and tubeless repair plugs (lezyne) but my tyres will go up with just the the hand pump even if they've come off the bead. I also carry a tube(s) in case of damage that can't be fixed on the trail.

I had to fit a plug to my rear tyre on last years HT550, I stopped as soon as I heard the hiss, plugged and pumped it back up and the tyre was still seated.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I can never get away from the belt and braces approach to bike and puncture repair whenever I ride.
A short ride can turn into a long walk.
I spend an overly long time obsessing about and achieving the most reliable bikes I can. Then I equip myself to repair a disaster in the field.
I go with full tubeless repair shebang and a spare tube. My first line is to fix the tubeless and go for tube if that fails. I have to admit to carrying a few patches for the emergency tube as well :oops:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Tube, pump, anchovies, and patches.

I'm pretty belt and braces too. The tube's the only heavy bit, and not having one just seems a bit risky. I'll sometimes carry a narrower, lighter weight tube than strictly recommended on a tubeless bike though (e.g. 27.5 x 2.4 on my 27.5 x 3 bike).

Sticky patches weigh, what, 10g? Not worth taking out of my kit.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Belt and braces here too :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Do people take a small bottle of sealant too or not bother?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

'Tubilito S' for those just in case moments. At 46g (ish) its rude not to...
Still opt for worms etc first though
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:47 pm Do people take a small bottle of sealant too or not bother?

Not for a 24hr effort ITT but yes if I'm riding for more than one night.
I have 50ml of sealant in a dinky bottle.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I always carry a tube, a few patches and usually a basic tubeless repair kit (plus a tyre boot, needle and thread on a long trip). Never taken extra sealant. I’ve only ever had two occasions when tubeless has failed completely and more sealant wouldn’t have helped in either.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty much the full shebang.

Spare tube - ideally the right diameter unlike on last year's HT550 :roll:
Patches - weigh nowt and don't take up much room.
Plugs - got one of those Sahmurai kits that fit in the bar ends, have a plug pre-threaded.
Needle and thread - this is part of a little sewing kit that I've had years.
Spare sealant - got a 50ml bottle
Pump - decent sized for MTB tyres.

Will check the sealant and whether the valve core (will take a spare one of these as well for longer ITTs) is bunged up as part of the general check-up before heading off.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Tubilito S' for those just in case moments. At 46g (ish) its rude not to
if you read the thread i started on those it seems highly unlikely it will work in that just in case moment.

Yes two tubes - never really see the point of one - though i have never punctured more than one wheel on a ride for years [ since tubeless] but I dont get the point in not having one for each wheel. [150 g weight penalty for a lightweight actual tube ]
Repair kits for tube and tubeless including anchovy, patches, tyre boot , thread and glue. A knackered tyre really ruins a ride
Dont take sealant as i have never managed to successfully mount or remount a tubeless trye with a track pump so my pocket rocket is not going to do it so I dont bother with sealant [ though i have topped up before leaving so know its fresh and enough.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

whitestone wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm one of those Sahmurai kits that fit in the bar ends,
Nice one - I must have missed the existence of those. They look smart.

I currently have a weldtite kit, and bulk bought 100's of plugs! I have a reasonable amount of practice with it now, I've done pinch flats on the mtb (i.e. out the side by the rim and out the top), and it's actually a bit trickys using them on 700x35 tyres sometimes.

With regards CO2 - I'd probably only bother carrying it if I had a tyre/rim combo I know pops off the rim when deflated, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've given up on anchovies. They never seem to work in sidewall punctures, so I end up being left with slow punctures that I keep having to stop to top up.

These are pretty damn pricey, but they do definitely work: https://www.mtbriders.co.uk/accessories ... racer.html
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am I've given up on anchovies. They never seem to work in sidewall punctures, so I end up being left with slow punctures that I keep having to stop to top up.
Which ones have you used? The bigger ones have shown success for me (and I know a certain moutain bike coach who gets through loads of them, and he's done a fair few sidewall punctures).

You have to remember they're not really a permanent fix (although I have left some in indefinitely!)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've never tried the bigger ones. Might pack some just for the hell of it.

Which ones do you get?

Edit - I believe mine (small) are the Weldtite ones.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 am Which ones do you get?
Something like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100x-Tubeles ... 3637673589
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Funnily I was thinking about how to deal with the tyre bead coming off the rim the other day. I know for a 1 off, carrying a gas cannister will reseat the tyre but this is a single shot option. (unless you carry multiple) I was wondering if something could be rigged up that uses the other, presumably intact, tyre as a sort of airshot. If you added about 20psi before screwing on an adapter that attaches to the unseated tyre, you'd be unlikely to have 2 unseated tyres to sort. The adapter would have to have a way of opening the core on presta valves but stopping all the air coming out before you were ready. Bit like a fork pump but presta. I realise some rim/tyre combos work with a mini pump but a lot don't, particularly tubeless ready tyres and what works when the tyre is brand new and unstretched can be a pain in the middle of nowhere. Maybe one for a man in a welsh barn to look at?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:41 pm Funnily I was thinking about how to deal with the tyre bead coming off the rim the other day.
TBH, if it comes to that happening (on the MTB, so far mine stay beaded if they're totally flat - providing I don't push the side of the tyre), then I'll throw a tube in. Then I suppose if I really wanted to put it back to tubeless - I'd go find a garage with compressed air (but tbh would probs wait till I get home as I like to put a blob of sealant round the valve when I put them in).
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I had the tyre burp in quite a big way recently, losing all the air in the process. I was carrying a compressed air cannister and this did the trick of blasting it back onto the rim. I'm sure a pump would have been useless. Fair comment re a tube but as for finding a garage here, on the C2C ride in 1,000km we probably passed 10 garages in total and those were at the beginning and the end, you can be a very long way from civilisation around here.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just a note, CO2 does bad things to most tubeless sealants... unless you're putting it in slowly enough to avoid the issues of cold shock (which you probably wont be if you're trying to reseat a tyre).

You'll get your tyre seated most likely, but it'll be far less likely to seal any punctures from that point onward.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Good point Richard, is it that it's CO2 or does any compressed gas cause this when it's released quickly?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

To my knowledge it's any. Just physics innit. :-bd

That said, an air compressor will probably heat up enough (via the process of creating compressed air) that it's not as big an issue.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

which is why i always seat the tyre then add the sealant then pump up as normal- also saves on waste if it wont seat