Water Filtration Advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Water Filtration Advice

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've purchased an MSR Trailshot and was impressed how easy it looks to filter water. I am now reading it doesn't remove viruses. Am I supposed to use chlorine tablets as well? Seems like a lot of jargon and contradictory advice when I've Googled it. Any advice would be appreciated.
sean_iow

Re: Water Filtration Advice

Post by sean_iow »

My understanding is that in the uk virus's are not an issue. Quite a few of us have Trailshot's and were all still ok.

Where abouts are you planning on using it?

Also, remember that MSR are from the USA so the literature is also covering them against legal action. I use Surly cogs on my singlespeed and the instructions warn that it may contain substances known to cause birth defects in the state of California, presumably only an issue of you eat it rather than fit it to your bike :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I brought up the not filtering viruses thing and I was mostly being pedantic about a comment on here about filtering water with turds in :-bd
Water borne viral disease is very uncommon in the UK (Europe or anywhere outside the tropics)
I can't quote any numbers but the chance of getting a virus from water not grossly contaminated with human excrement is super low.
I have used a TS filter for a few years and have no worries about using it in the UK. If I went outside the temperate climatic zone I would use my Katadyn for full cover.
Whilst working in the military medical services I saw quite a few blokes get nasty illnesses from water they didn't treat but never a virus in the UK, only bacterial/Protozoa stuff like giardia, leptospirosis and most often common or garden 'the sh1ts' from cryptosporidium and other animal gut bacteria.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I'll be using it in the North York Moors and Durham Dales areas but there's a lot of farmland about so was concerned that the water could get contaminated from sheep etc. Would the Trailshot be able to filter this?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would the Trailshot be able to filter this?
Yes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Personally, I have contracted a few water born virus's in the UK....

from surfing in the sea, raw sewage... yum.
Last edited by NorwayCalling on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Trail Shot = perfect for the UK
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

NorwayCalling wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:25 pm Personally, I have contracted a few water born virus in the UK....

Virus's?
WSC
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:27 pm
NorwayCalling wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:25 pm Personally, I have contracted a few water born virus in the UK....

Virus's?
Yep. It very common.

https://www.sas.org.uk/the-risks-of-mixing-with-sewage/
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Well human cr&p isn't exactly stuff to go bathing in.
Point is in an upland stream you don't (often) get human sewerage in any sort of volume.
Most of the stuff in the article about surfing is bacterial in origin with the exception of Hepatitis A, but to get that you need to be unlucky enough to suck up some water infected by a sh1t from someone who already has Hepatitis A. Not so common up on t' Moors.
WSC