Full suspension gravel bike anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Full suspension gravel bike anyone?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Have we done this already? Soz if so. This bike has been in development for a couple of years and its earlier versions have had a bit of coverage here and there.

Can't really make up my mind about it but I hope they sell a million of them because I'd really like to have a go on one.

The flip chart presentation at the top of the article says target weight in the low 20s (presume that's pounds :roll: ) so she's no heifer. Not the prettiest thing in the shed either - they'd get it sub-20 if they stuck a Lauf fork on it, but that would have every gnome in the garden calling Hughie.

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/niner- ... avel-bike/

I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Re: Full suspension gravel bike anyone?

Post by whitestone »

10kg for a FS bike is pretty good going, my carbon road bike is just shy of 8kg and just adding a suspension fork is a kilo. Interesting rear suspension design keeping the shock outside the main triangle.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but it kind of looks like it's had a squashing. If it's not the angle of the picture, maybe it's the angle of the forks, they look fairly steep.

Probably be much comfier if the bars were raised 3" too, maybe you could forego the suspension then? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Is it just my imagination or do those bars look really really skinny?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm a fan. It's about time we saw some good quality, short travel suspension forks.

Moots have a new softail too.

https://moots.com/bike/routt-ybb/
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Dry weather only - look at the shock placement - last about 4 rides in my part of the world.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

NorwayCalling wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm Dry weather only - look at the shock placement - last about 4 rides in my part of the world.
It does appear to have a mudguard in the right place (though that's not a perfect solution either)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

whitestone wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:55 pm 10kg for a FS bike is pretty good going, my carbon road bike is just shy of 8kg and just adding a suspension fork is a kilo. Interesting rear suspension design keeping the shock outside the main triangle.
Dropper post in there too tbf.

A Lauf fork and a set of angled headset bearings on it and you'd have something very tempting for me.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 pm I'm a fan. It's about time we saw some good quality, short travel suspension forks.

At $5000 for the frameset (http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/moots-routt-rsl-ybb/) I think I'll pass :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:48 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 pm I'm a fan. It's about time we saw some good quality, short travel suspension forks.

At $5000 for the frameset (http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/moots-routt-rsl-ybb/) I think I'll pass :oops:
"Pass out" you mean Bob... haha
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

First bike in a long time that has piqued my interest. I'll be aiming to test ride one when it becomes possible.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm Maybe it's the angle of the picture but it kind of looks like it's had a squashing. If it's not the angle of the picture, maybe it's the angle of the forks, they look fairly steep.

Probably be much comfier if the bars were raised 3" too, maybe you could forego the suspension then? :wink:
My initial thought was something similar Stu. I think the combination of the seat tube angle and the new trend for slacker, longer, more more so on has something to do with how I'm viewing it. But, it's still a 71 degree HA, so not exactly slack by gravel bikes either.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think you're right Greg. After taking another look, I reckon it's the relaxed seattube angle that's making the front look overly sharp and leading to the squashed look.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry but I just don't get it. Why not just put bigger volume tyres on it to reduce weight, complexity, cost, and maintenance then call it something like "monster cross"?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Like this Ray?

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ray Young wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am Sorry but I just don't get it. Why not just put bigger volume tyres on it to reduce weight, complexity, cost, and maintenance then call it something like "monster cross"?
Different tools for different jobs. That's why.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm.

Depends on how long your legs are, and how much further down you could get the saddle
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Depends on how long your legs are, and how much further down you could get the saddle
I'm simply talking about the relationship between saddle and bar height.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Isn't this just a gravel bike evolving to be a mountain bike again?
I read a tongue in cheek article about how MTB's started as basically burly road bikes with s few tweets like flat bars and different wheel size. They've evolved over 30 years to be today's vaguely exciting long travel trail bikes. Gravel bikes are just going down the same road (gravel track). Someone will be putting 20inch flat bars and bar ends on them soon... :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't really get it but I'd still like to have a ride on one :grin:

All bikes are fun!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Isn't this just a gravel bike evolving to be a mountain bike again?
Kind of. Perhaps similar to how fixed wheel bikes got used for tricks, evolved into fixed gear freestyle bikes that looked like large, odd BMXs and then faded into a micro-niche bike type that wasn't an elegant track bike or a good street BMX.

Tools for the job though I suppose - if your job is long days of rough but open tracks and/or you don't mind the feel of a sus bike on tarmac sections and find average gravel bikes lacking off-road (who doesn't tbh) then this could work. Arguably it's an ideal Tour Divide bike for some. I'm thinking of how fast it could be along the SDW or Ridgeway double - if fast was my main concern.

Personally, drop bars mean rigid quicker-feeling road biased bikes that ideally handle 30-50% of a ride being on tracks and easy trails w/o issues. If I'm off-road more than that or need bigger tyres and suspension I don't want drop bars. But that could change and bars and riding styles are just personal preferences so why not... Smaller bike brands need points of difference to stand out and if that means a few of us get that ideal micro-niche bike then all the better?
Someone will be putting 20inch flat bars and bar ends on them soon...
Flat bar gravel bikes are a thing already (aka hybrids with cooler presentation)

PS I think what I like most in that pic is the magic carpet bike presentation stand :grin: