Prescription cycling glasses for the older and very short sighted

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Prescription cycling glasses for the older and very short sighted

Post by fatbikerbill »

I've used lenses for year but now doing more multi day stuff, occasionally get sub standard in, dirty everything at the end of a long day, and struggling to read phones especially when tired.

So I am thinking of trying some prescription specs. The addidas look good.

Any experience of strong prescription cycling glasses out there.
NorwayCalling

Re: Prescription cycling glasses for the older and very short sighted

Post by NorwayCalling »

hello

Yes I went down the prescription route - you cant get "wrap around" style cycling glasses (normal or "sun") with anything over around -2 (IIRC) which, obviously rules us out. But you end up with wraparound style cycling glasses, with flat-ish lenses behind the outer wraparound lens...like the old "clip on sunglasses style" - but all in one. Not a great compromise IMHO.

So you are limited to "sports" glasses - plenty of them about - squash ones are good - but you don't half look ummmm... special in them. Also they tend to be a bit "misty up" in the winter, when cycling and you stop (say at traffic lights)

So I went to "normal glasses" with different lenses.

My current ones are RayBan jobbies with "the-most-expensive-lens-in-the world" and they weigh next to nothing and have really thin lens's with all sorts of coatings on them. Only problem - yes because they are not "wrap around" the wind gets in your eyes - commuting in the Norwegian winter was not fun - so streaming eyes are a issue.

So to sum it up - tough - you are too short sighted to have "nice" cycling glasses as curved lenses only go up to -2 or -3 , either way, you (and me) cant have them. Other compromises will have to be made.

There is this option - put in you details: https://www.julbo.com/en_us/prescription-sunglasses/
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I use a clip in system by Rudy Project. A number of RP glasses (I use Rydon) have the facility to sit a separate frame for holding prescription lenses behind the main lenses. The system is far from ideal but has enough advantages that I've stuck with it for what is probably 13or 14 years.
Advantages are firstly the RP keep supplying spares for older models which is rare and welcome these days.
Secondly the prescription lens is separate from the sun lens. I have multiple sun/low light lenses to use in different conditions all of which work with my prescription.
Thirdly, I can use the same glasses with contacts instead.
And finally any lens making optitian can grind a lens to fit the separate frame.
The disadvantage is that the 'double glazing' affect fogs easily in cold/humid conditions. I find one good clean in these circumstances keep them fog free for a while. They also fog pretty badly in any that more than very light rain. This is a bummer and means I need to compromise between foggy corrected vision or crappy un corrected vision.
Wearing pretty much any glasses in the rain is sh1t though isn't it do I don't let it bother me too much.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Cheers guys.

Assuming I survive the DD and don't go blind from sub standard in my eyes this weekend I think I'll get some ordered.
PJG

Post by PJG »

Have you considered laser surgery?
Had mine done over 10 years ago.
I didn't end up with 100% correction - but good enough for driving, so easily good enough for riding/climbing/walking/etc.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It's better being long-sighted tbf. Have you given that a try Bill?