Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: bikepackglamping

Post by FLV »

I think thats my favourite panda :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As said, I have no problem with the ride, the organiser or the participants, but unnecessarily carrying some overnight gear can only be for show.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm can only be for show.
Or introduction to riding with a bit of gear. Only just enough so you can sense what it could feel like.
FLV wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 pm I think we should all relax a little bit and allow the bikepacking word to go free, we all do things differently, some in tents, some in bivys some in ditches, some in bothy's. To me, bikepacking is travelling by bike carrying what you need to survive / enjoy your overnight in your chosen style, be it a credit card or a bin bag.
You forgot to mention the maggots that ride road! How can they call themselves bikepackers?!

But mummy! They don't even ride mountain bikes!

Yeah... been there, done that
:roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's about time to let it go.
Well STFU then :wink:
You forgot to mention the maggots that ride road! How can they call themselves bikepackers?!

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

'favourite panda' - yep a good one. Looks like (s)he's smoking a verrrrry relaxed cigar to me!

'STFU then' - :lol: . This raises a point though. Chat is fair game. We're not being nasty to a specific person, if anything we're indulging in a bit of self-mockery - I am a smelly bikepacker honest. And if we can't have the basic discussion, robustly or otherwise, about what a bikepacker IS or MAY be, or air our own views about it, or gently take the piss out of each other's way of doing BP (and gawd knows, 'Reg's Way' is hugely ripe for that and good luck to you), this would be a very boring Place indeed - so, about those gear ratios I was on about then....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Totally agree Reg but you can't call for a close to proceedings and then continue to lay bait. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I was agreeing with u Stu :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Err, before we need a whole posse of pandas can we get back on track please?

Is the article on-line? I can't find it at the mo ... Therefore apologies in advance if some things aren't relevant to it.

Hmm, we complain about folk taking too much kit and having mugs and axes (for the campfire you know) dangling on the outside of their bags. Next thing we are complaining about people not taking enough. I'm sure we've all had too much kit when we first headed off bikepacking and have only got to our current nirvana through trial and lots of error. Not everyone can afford or justify a sub 400g down sleeping bag or quilt for an introduction to an activity.

A lot of folk go climbing. When you ask they only ever go to indoor climbing walls and never on "proper" crags in the outdoors. Are they still climbers? Some might consider anyone that doesn't participate in the seven games enumerated by Lito Tejada-Flores isn't a proper climber.

Give someone a bike with a couple of small (in their eyes) bags attached and ask them to pack the essentials for a day's riding and a night's camping and take the rest of the stuff they'll actually need to the campsite. Might not be bikepacking as we know it but it gets folk out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Doesn't seem to be online. The title of the piece is 'Too Posh To Pitch' so they're up for a bit of self-mockery too so good for them!

I don't think anyone's saying (well I'm not) 'BP has to be this', we're using all these articles and bits of info as bases for a discussion. If someone doesn't want to talk bollocks in the pub threads then they're at liberty to depart for the genteel atmosphere of the wine/juice bar threads and chat there instead. And the landlord Here usually happens to be curiously good IMO at spotting and gently redirecting any 'hey did you spill my pint' moments anyway :smile: .

psling

Post by psling »

Ref. the carry your sleeping bag thing - as far as I can see the package includes hire of bike and tentage/food/entertainment at a given location but does not include portage of riders cloths/bedding/etc.. So, you carry your own bedding and clothing. Nothing unusual about that; I can remember having to do the same Youth Hostelling :cool:

Now, the whole 'bikepacking' thing - I like to think I pre-date the term so I'll just happily carry on doing what I do without identifying to a label; after all, none of us identify with a niche after it becomes mainstream, do we!?! We either invent a new niche-within-a-niche or claim to have done it / been a fan before it became mainstream :wink: Oops! Looks like I've self-identified :o
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 am
It's about time to let it go.
Well STFU then :wink:

Context please.
Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:07 am Yeah... been there, done that
Thank you...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

psling wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am We either invent a new niche-within-a-niche or claim to have done it / been a fan before it became mainstream Oops! Looks like I've self-identified
Spot on :-bd
I'm pretty much trapped in both :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I don't differentiate between road and off-road, whatever you want to call it :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good to see a level of tongue in cheek there and a healthy dose of taking the piss out of ones self :-bd

I was thinking about this post yesterday and concluded that the attitude of some of us (myself included at times) is simply human nature as you tend to try and protect those things you love :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There's always going to be a hint of existential angst when a niche hobby gains popularity and big(ger) business starts paying attention. A worry that things won't be quite the same, even after the majority have lost interest. The best thing I've found about bikepacking is that it's an umbrella of activities revolving around strapping stuff to a bike and going for a ride and it doesn't really matter if my definition doesn't exactly match someone else's.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

such a trip could make a good introduction to a partner who is a little hesitant about bikepacking
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

agreed but you may be setting the bar too high, What happens when on the next trip, when you make them sleep in a ditch,cemetery or toilet :wink:

Its not for us but i can see why someone would do it
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am agreed but you may be setting the bar too high, What happens when on the next trip, when you make them sleep in a ditch,cemetery or toilet :wink:
:lol:
break them in slowly
posh tent with the wood burning stove
"normal" tent
Bivi bag
ditch
toilet
:-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

STW found it..