purple extreme - chain oil - any users

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

purple extreme - chain oil - any users

Post by fatbikerbill »

a work colleague mentioned this to me the other day.

http://www.purpleextreme.com/pe.html

Do any of the BB collective use it & how does it compare with the likes of either a pure dry wax like squirt or a more 'normal' chain oil.

does it live up to it's hype ?
Mart

Re: purple extreme - chain oil - any users

Post by Mart »

I’ve just started using it - my LBS really rated it so thought i would give it a go

I’m looking forward to a much cleaner drivechain after a mucky winter. Time will tell
2924 miles per Gallon
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Been using it (on and off) for years. And I mean years, its been around quite a while now (just look at website and packaging).

I have used almost all the different chain lubes on the bike-shop-sold market and TBH, I still return to this stuff when "the emperors-new-clothes-lube" - that I was hoping would be perfect....wasn't.

Purple Extreme is a "dry" lube that goes on very wet (like Finish line dry et. al.)and NEEDS TO DRY OVERNIGHT before it is as effective as it can be. Sometime you feel its not working in the wet (sounds like it has washed off)but I have had this with most "dry lubes" - its still on the chain working. Reviews always say it washes off i the rain, I say, you didn't let it evaporate long enough...

I like it for the road & gravel bike all year round, i like it on the MTB in winter (as it does not attract mud and cling onto it like a "wet lube" does) BUT the winter MTB will be having its chain cleaned after, what... a 4 hour ride?

For multi-day rides in the wet, you will struggle with this stuff - but then I have not found a lube that doesn't, except a wet lube, and wet lubes attract all the crud and turn your chain into a grinding paste holder....

Which lube will I be using on the WRT... Purple Extreme - but i will also have a rag & sushi fish to "top up" at the end of the day.

PS: smells nice too....
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Thx. I'll give it a go.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

BUT the winter MTB will be having its chain cleaned after, what... a 4 hour ride?
Erm never in my case its my winter bike and the last thing i want to do in the wet and cold is start cleaning my chain or a bike - it is a SS mind so less damage to do but no chain i own gets cleaned every 4 hours.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:26 pm
BUT the winter MTB will be having its chain cleaned after, what... a 4 hour ride?
Erm never in my case its my winter bike and the last thing i want to do in the wet and cold is start cleaning my chain or a bike - it is a SS mind so less damage to do but no chain i own gets cleaned every 4 hours.
Nor mine and I'm not SS. My main bike over the winter is my fatbike and that is unlikely to be cleaned unless I'm off riding in a different area. And I wouldn't be cleaning the chain.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm
Lazarus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:26 pm
Nor mine and I'm not SS. My main bike over the winter is my fatbike and that is unlikely to be cleaned unless I'm off riding in a different area. And I wouldn't be cleaning the chain.
Maybe.... but i don't find spending 5 minutes to wash the bike a chore and gain 1000's of km more life out of my drive/chain/cassette etc than most folks as a result.

Each to their own and all that. :-bd