HONC on Sunday?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

HONC on Sunday?

Post by slarge »

Anyone doing the Hell of the North Cotswolds on Sunday? Not a bikepacking route, but a cracking day out with cake.
In Reverse

Re: HONC on Sunday?

Post by In Reverse »

slarge wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:47 pm Anyone doing the Hell of the North Cotswolds on Sunday? Not a bikepacking route, but a cracking day out with cake.
Sounds terribly middle class. What actually constitutes "hell" in the North Cotwolds? No parking spaces at the garden centre at Batsford Arboretum? Ocado missed the crème fraîche off the delivery, going to have to drive to Waitrose in Evesham? Got a 40th tomorrow at Chipping Campden Cricket Club but it's forecast rain and I was going to walk.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Its now in its 35th year. It was concieved by Winchcombe cycling club as their answer to Paris - Roubaix or "The Hell of the North", except they dont have cobbles, so tongue very much in cheek use bridleway sections. It was originally a road ride, so quite challenging on the off road sections, but then along came mountain bikes and tamed it. There also used to be a much greater chance of bad weather at this time if year, and then the Cotswolds can be pretty grim. If its wet the cotswold clay is gruesome, and the event earns its name. Not had a really wet one in 5 years or so.

Its a great event, very friendly chatting to the marshals (usually with their old steel road bikes) and other riders. Also a cake stop half way round. 1250 riders this year so raises a lot for local charities. I am going to bimble round the 100km. Hopefully stop for a pint along the way. Its only my 10th time so I am a relative newcomer to the event :-bd
Javi

Post by Javi »

I've just been offered an entry for it but it's a PITA to get there so I'll stick to the original plan of Surrey Hills.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I am driving from Reading, if you can get out here Javi
psling

Post by psling »

Good old school Reliability Trial :cool:
Used to ride it regularly as a 'season opener' but haven't done it for a few years now.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
paramart

Post by paramart »

great event stopped going because they shut the caravan cl site just up from the registration point, on my 1st go I had multiple cramp in the legs, soon learned from it though, used to make a nice w/end.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’m photographing it, as I have for the last 12 ish years.
Quite a record of how riders have changed (aged) and bike fashion changed over the years.
Strangely odd being back in Cheltenham, haven’t lived here in years though doesn’t like I’ve been away.
Off to recci the course shortly, but so far looks very dry out there.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

yep , will be there on the gravel bike with 42mm tyres, not done it for the last 2 years but always a great turnout and ride, Im looking forward to it but dont think my legs are as havent ridden in 2 weeks , so its gonna hurt :grin:
Javi

Post by Javi »

wriggles wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 am I am driving from Reading, if you can get out here Javi
Thanks wriggles.
I've found a lift from Harrow but I have to leave home at 4:30am to get there

Riding on 38mm tyres. Hope to see you guys there.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Walking up syreford climb
Bone dry
This year’s course seems quite tame; a gravel bike would be ideal
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Javi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm
wriggles wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 am I am driving from Reading, if you can get out here Javi
Thanks wriggles.
I've found a lift from Harrow but I have to leave home at 4:30am to get there

Riding on 38mm tyres. Hope to see you guys there.
I will try and say hi before you disappear off into the distance :lol:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Asposium say hi if you see an old guy on a Ti Camino wheeze past - where are you setting up? Cheers Andy
Javi

Post by Javi »

Well, the Hell of the North is over.
Very bumpy, dry route, better for higher volume tyres (but then it wouldn't be that hell) but could have done with less pressure.

Good day out riding. Met Steve at the start, mid point feed station and we finished within 3 minutes of each other. Didn't look like we were 1200 riders except at the feed station :lol: