anyone still running v brakes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

anyone still running v brakes?

Post by ton »

i have a very nice cross check that i want to make into a road tourer.

and i was a late comer to discs, never had a problem with vee ar cantis . both on and offroad.
Charliecres

Re: anyone still running v brakes?

Post by Charliecres »

No. I have cantis on my commuter cross bike and they’re OK-ish but I would never choose them over a nice hydraulic disc brake. Why would you?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just stopped using a CX/commuter that had vee's.
The braking was perfectly adequate unless it was cold and wet but I was going through a set of rims per year.
One of the things I love about disks is that wheels last a long, long time if they don't get crashed.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Yep, on the 2000-era commuter MTB skip bike. Vee's work fine, easy to maintain and cheap if you treat wheels as "consumable items" and spend accordingly (i.e. not much). :-bd

However: performance when the rims are coated with ice can be "unexpectedly exciting" :shock:
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I tried to stick with vees for as long as possible (or so I had thought until seeing this) and gave up on them finally at least 3 or more years ago. Its just not exciting having rim caked in mud or ice working against pads that have become orrible. Used to think them Avid Single Digit 7 were vaguely exciting but then when going back to them (or similar) after a short period of disc braking it... It just wasn't nice.

Give em up and send em to the bike meusem is what I say :-bd