Lakeland 200 attempt this weekend (13/14th of April)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Lakeland 200 attempt this weekend (13/14th of April)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am re the rules.

I cannot help you on what they are officially but i dont mind that you did [ and would have done the same]

Good effort nice write up and still on my to do list - a great amount of hike a bike though
Trying to capture the steepness of Walna Scar Road
One peugeot 206 + 4 people + bikes = Lets stop about 1/3 of the way up and unload in the middle of the road eh guys as she aint getting up this,
Let me know when... I'll come wiv ya 😊
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

how kind of you to carry my kit - I shall check to see if that is within the rules :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lol... oh, I forgot... ITT. Ok then. I'll race ya (or try my best):-bd ... It makes for a far more rideable 100 miler or so...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Zippy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 am Nice write up. I'll be starting in Hawkshead, so hope the Staveley loop doesn't do me in mentally!

TBH, your gear stash...I think it's small fry really.... I'd only say it was dodgy ground if you were trying to claim the record - you've been entirely open about it too.

Edit:
Actually - i think the gear drop is fine. Everyone has the opportunity to start anywhere on the route and do the same, and it's no pre-arranged. If someone were to just drop their water bottle down before a small loop, up and over somewhere you return to, then no-one would bat an eyelid.

If the route had a set start place for an ITT, that would be different, but the Lakeland 200 doesn't, so I think it's fair game.
I've emailed Alan Goldsmith so I'll see what he says. No big deal really.

You're right, the Staveley loop might be quite mentally difficult at that stage. I would have found it easier if I'd known the chip shop would be open before 12!

Be aware of the little extra climb coming "down" the valley out of Kentmere - it's the only bit of the route I didn't have straight in my head, thinking that once at the bottom of Garburn, it was easy rolling to Staveley: always a kicker.

Also, don't miss the BW into Staveley in your eagerness to get there - I did and had to go repeat it. Only an extra mile but frustrating.

Good luck!
Lazarus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am
Trying to capture the steepness of Walna Scar Road
One peugeot 206 + 4 people + bikes = Lets stop about 1/3 of the way up and unload in the middle of the road eh guys as she aint getting up this,
:lol:
postierich

Post by postierich »

Nice one it was Baltic on the Sunday :-)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Be aware of the little extra climb coming "down" the valley out of Kentmere - it's the only bit of the route I didn't have straight in my head, thinking that once at the bottom of Garburn, it was easy rolling to Staveley: always a kicker.
When I did it on the Jennride, I rode through the night with Stu Taylor, reaching the bottom of Garburn at around 23 hrs - he was convinced it was just over Garburn and a downhill roll to the finish. There were some strange new words around when GPS showed the right turn to the climb. Then we missed the last little bit of singletrack before Staveley and had to go back :cry:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

That's a "no" from Alan for the official finish. I think that's fair on me, and other riders who've done it strictly by the rules. I got to ride it, which is the main thing, and there's a lesson learnt if I want an official completion on something else.