Lakeland 200 attempt this weekend (13/14th of April)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Lakeland 200 attempt this weekend (13/14th of April)

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm going to attempt the Lakeland 200 this weekend. It'll be my first ITT and while I'm not going to be anywhere near the fastest completions, I am aiming to do it as fast as reasonably possible for me.

I'm starting and finishing at Matterdale End so I can stay with a friend Friday night and start nice an early Saturday morning without even getting in the car. Not sure if that will qualify me for an official completion, but I'm not really bothered as it's a personal challenge. I think it'll work out well this way as if I can get over Walna Scar before I stop to rest Saturday night, then I'll have at least got that monster out the way, and the south-western quarter is probably a good area to bivvy.

The forecast is looking alright - dry which is the main thing. Looks like it'll be a bit cold overnight. I don't mind the cold as such, but it's going to mean carrying more warm kit than I would like.

There's no real purpose to this post other than maybe putting it out there so I don't bail at the last minute. I'm looking forward to it anyway. It'll be the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike, and while many on here have done much more impressive things, in the grand scheme of things, I've done some quite hard things on a bike. The way I see it, it's two days (hopefully not more) in my favourite playground :-bd
middleagedmadness

Re: Lakeland 200 attempt this weekend (13/14th of April)

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same thing for me with the bigbear in a couple of weeks ,not really a itt although will do it in that vein it's more of a personal challenge to see what I am capable of doing ,I've got 7 days but really want it done in 5 as WRT is the weekend after I finish it ( or try to)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Staveley start is just because it's the closest point to the motorway for most people. Ian Barrington started his ride at Keswick.

We did our March BaM up by Burnmoor Tarn so there's that area. It was quite cold in the valley bottoms but warmer when you got a bit higher.

Good luck :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

on a ebike? ............................. :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good stuff MaM. Big Bear is another kettle of fish!

Thanks Bob. Yeah, I probably would have started in the north anyway - doesn't make sense to drive to Staveley for me, ITT or no ITT.

I'd eyed up Burnmoor Tarn area. I'll be pretty happy if I can get that far before resting (I hesitate to say sleeping!).

Wash your mouth out Ton :grin: (seriously, if ebikes make this sort of ride do-able for people who wouldn't otherwise be able to, I'm all for them.)
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Good luck. The lakes route I did last summer had a lot of hike a bike up the rocky hills so hope it's a nice route.
Walna Scar before I stop to rest Saturday nigh
If you manage that theres a nice pub pretty near the bottom in Torver for dinner (if that's allowed?) and a church hall you can bivi behind.
middleagedmadness

Cheers NW ,another kettle of fish maybe if you were racing it but I look at as all I've got To do is pedal/push/carry a bike for 12-13 hrs a day ,sleep in a ditch and eat,I'd rather be doing that than stuck under some truck on the side of the motorway ,there's worse ways to spend 5 days :lol: good luck the weekend :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Code: Select all

If you manage that theres a nice pub pretty near the bottom in Torver for dinner (if that's allowed?) and a church hall you can bivi behind.
Cheers - we used one of the pubs in Torver en masse on Jennride last year. I was tempted by a second dinner having burnt off the fish and chips I had in Coniston with a loop over Walna Scar and back. Pubs are allowed on ITTs since they're available to anyone, though it doesn't really fit with the truest definition of self-supported. I'm not even sure I'll taking cooking kit.

Hoping to refuel in Coniston again (fish and chips are quicker :wink: ) and that 1800 foot climb out the way, rather than wake up to it first thing in the morning (though it would warm me up!) but we'll see. Thanks for tip anyway.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Good luck! I’m jealous
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am

Code: Select all

Cheers - we used one of the pubs in Torver en masse on Jennride last year. I was tempted by a second dinner having burnt off the fish and chips I had in Coniston with a loop over Walna Scar and back. Pubs are allowed on ITTs since they're available to anyone, though it doesn't really fit with the truest definition of self-supported. I'm not even sure I'll taking cooking kit.

Hoping to refuel in Coniston again (fish and chips are quicker :wink: ) and that 1800 foot climb out the way, rather than wake up to it first thing in the morning (though it would warm me up!) but we'll see. Thanks for tip anyway.
Torver isn't on the LL200 route & would require a pretty meaty detour..

After Walna there's a good pub where you come out onto the road at Seathwaite on the left called the Newfield Inn, they used to, & may still do a really good hot chocolate!

In the eve if you make it past here & onto Birks Bridge, head up through the wood, when you reach the gate with a field and Birks on the other side, over the wall in the wood on the left is a lovely place to overnight :wink:
If you make it to Boot then the Boot Inn does excelllent food & there's also some flat ground by some derelict buildings on the left as you start on the bridleway, you can't miss it..

The Woolpack Inn usually does pizza till 10pm..

There's a couple of places for breckie in Eskdale, or if you carry on over Burnmoor (vague path) to Wasdale there's a shop there. You can get a cooked breckie at the Wasdale Head Inn, but it's not an all-day jobbie & worth checking what time they finish if that figures in your plans..

If no-one is in at Black Sail then there's an honesty box in the kitchen for hot drinks, etc..

The pies, sausage rolls & coffee at Honister Slate mine are surprisingly good!..

Watch out for ticks, seen a few reports of them this week. A spray of insect repellant on the legs might not go amiss..

Getting jealous typing this out myself! Hope you have a great time :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
FLV

Post by FLV »

best of luck to you, as an ex resident of the lakes I can say that the rewards will be superb.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Torver isn't on the LL200 route & would require a pretty meaty detour..
Oh yeah :oops:

Thanks for all those tips Wotsits, really useful. Some I'd clocked - will add the others to my route card.

Hadn't thought about insects, I was still in winter mode. I'm unlikely to bare much skin! :lol:

Cheers all.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well that was fun :grin:

Got round in under 36 hours so happy with that.

Slept the sleep of the dead last night.

I'll put up some words and pictures when I'm able to form proper sentences.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Good work. How much was hike-a-bike?
middleagedmadness

Goodman yerself :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers! A lot of hike-a-bike, particularly in the north eastern section (Boredale Hause and the Knott) and the south western section (Walna Scar, Black Sail, Scarth Gap). The most disappointing bit was having to walk DOWN large parts of Black Sail and Scarth Gap - I'd like to think having a loaded bike, little sleep, and 20 hours of riding behind me had something to do with it, but honestly in not sure I'd have ridden it unloaded with fresh legs. Then I had to push up Honister on the road into a bastard headwind. That was a lie point (not literally). Borrowdale cheered me up though!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice one.

I have this lined up end of August, I have to get it ridden in less than 36 hours, otherwise there will be an 8 year old on the loose whilst the missus is swimming in a Lake :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

So to try and keep this brief and avoid navel-gazing about the thorny question of "why?"...

The positive bits:
- I bloody love riding my bike (particularly my "proper" bike).
- I bloody love the Lakes.
- It was largely sunny, particularly on Saturday, and I didn't see a drop of rain. Some of the bits that should have been bogs were solid (bit scary actually). This may have influenced the first point.
- With a bit of a push on Sunday afternoon, I got round in under 36 hours, which wasn't really a target, but a number that had popped into my head and seemed fairly sensible.
- Most people I crossed paths with seemed happy to be out and returned my hellos.
- I'm alive, and so is my bike.
- I got to eat lots of chips.

The not-so-positive bits:
- There was nasty biting wind which appeared when I least expected/wanted it and made life difficult and uncomfortable at times.
- Having to walk down most of Black Sail and Scarth Gap was pretty dispiriting.
- So was pushing up Honister. I can't remember the last time I pushed a bike up the road. Well, apart from Walna Scar Road out of Coniston on Saturday, but it was a funny weekend. I'm not even sure how the tarmac doesn't slide off that.
- I can just about feel my arse again now.
- I think I did myself out of an official completion doing something stupid*
- I ate way too much stuff out of disposable plastic.

*As I was coming down into Troutbeck on from High Street, I realised I would be back in the same place a couple of hours later, so I could stash my bivvy kit in a bush and avoid carrying it over Garburn. I wondered if was bending ITT rules, but reasoned that I'd carried it there, would carry it afterwards, and anyone who wouldn't do it was foolish, averse to the risk of having their stuff nicked, or decided it wasn't worth it.
It was only when I came back that I realised that if you started in Staveley you wouldn't have this opportunity, so I'd probably gained an unfair advantage. I don't think it even saved me any time, once I'd clambered into the trees, hidden it, sorted my bar harness straps out, then reversed the whole procedure. It was a stupid thing to do if I wanted an official completion and I should have thought better of it, but ah well. Would be interested to hear people's opinion on it, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with it.
The annoying thing is, while my bivvy kit was waiting patiently under a tree, I did a lap round Staveley to do the bit of bridleway I missed off coming into the village, much to the confusion of an old couple walking.

Some pics:
Delivery from BB Towers just in time on Friday:

Dawn in Matterdale End, 5.30:

Down on Ullswater:

Sunrise near The Cockpit above Pooley Bridge:

Heading up to Boredale Hause:

Back up on High Street after the long drag (literally) up from Hartsop:

Looking back down to Hayeswater:

Above Troutbeck:

The offending stash:

Breakfast (sort of):

Balancing out my macro-nutrients in Chapel Stile:

Coniston at last:

Pre-booking my slot:

(possibly for a heart attack):

Trying to capture the steepness of Walna Scar Road:

Chasing the sun over Walna Scar:

...and losing that race:

... but still glad to see over into Dunnerdale (and have some light to negotiate the bog):

I wanted to push on further, but the wind was vicious and unpredictable - it seemed sheltered here and was a decent spot to bivvy so I called it a day about 9.30. Pretty happy with that choice - the next few sections were longer and harder than I thought and often more exposed.

And I wouldn't have got views like this in the morning. Coming down into Seathwaite:

The sun finally rose over the Old Man about 7 (three quarters of an hour after "sunrise") as I headed up Harter Fell:

Into Eskdale. This descent really perked me up:

Burnmoor, looking towards Wasdale:

Wasdale Head and the bottom of the inescapable-looking Mosedale:

The long HaB up Black Sail:

Wotsits woz right (at least about the coffee. No sausage rolls so settled for a cheese and onion pasty.):

Missioned on to the finish after that, with no stops other than to guzzle a couple of quick cans of sugar-water having drained my hydration bladder. Flew down Borrowdale, winched up Spooney Green Lane, as fast as I dared up Lonscale Crags, then blasted down through Threlkeld with the Old Coach Road staring at me since Keswick. I'd found myself an hour and 45 minutes to make 36 hours. Even with a headwind that only got worse the further up and round the shoulder I went, that was plenty and I ground it out running on Apple Tango fumes and the last few Haribo rolling round the bottom of my top tube bag, covered in patina of grease.

Symmetry innit:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm - I can just about feel my arse again now.
Shouldn't this be a positive?

Nice pics, well done, and I'm completely the wrong person to ask about ITT rules (I'd just be happy to cover the distance and make it to the pub before last orders).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Epic effort, good job

How was the bike choice for this route?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done TNW... the write up was spot on there and I'm amazed at how light it seems you managwd to travel... pics were spit on too

Would it be poasible whenever you got a chance to give a little tribute/synopsis of what kit you took (on back and bike as well as food and water management). I'm hoping to give this a little attempt once I think I'm prepd enough (gonna start off small.. maybe an 88 miler around MTL territory).
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Enjoyed that, and a great effort on the ride. :-bd

Balls to the rules I say. Who gives a fig?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm - I can just about feel my arse again now.
Shouldn't this be a positive?
Not the way my arse feels!

Cheers all!
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 pm Would it be poasible whenever you got a chance to give a little tribute/synopsis of what kit you took (on back and bike as well as food and water management).
Sure. I was actually quite surprised at how light it looked (if not felt) given I'm prone to TMS. Weights from my spreadsheet :ugeek:

Bars: MYOG harness with 13L Alpkit drybag containing:
Alpkit Hunka XL bivvy bag (489g)
Sleeping mat (750g)
3 season down bag (814g)

Saddle: Alpkit tapered drybag containing:
Spare tube
Merino long johns for sleeping
Decathlon light synthetic jacket
Gas stove, small gas cylinder, and ti mug with some porridge, hot chocolate coffee (and the stove and lighter) inside
Emergency rations (nuts and fruit)

18l rucksack containing:
2l hydration bladder
Synthetic mid-layer (when I wasn't wearing it)
Tools and spares
Spare battery, battery pack, and cable
Main light (on my helmet) battery
Headtorch
A couple of sporks
Cable lock

I normally have tools and spares in the top tube bag, but moved them to my rucksack to make room for snacks.

I weighed the bike packed at 19.5kg before I set off, and now weighed it at 15.1kg unladen, so 4.4kg of gear on the bike - sounds about right.

It being so cold meant I was wearing most of my clothes most of the time, and so not carrying them!

I packed my bivvy bag into the seatpack in the morning to save wrestling it into the bar bag (it's quite tight - considered taking the 20l bag for this reason but couldn't be bothered to repack).
benp1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 pm How was the bike choice for this route?
Definitely right for me. Personally, I wouldn't take anything other than a full-sus (or maybe a very lairy hardtail) on this route - no point compromising the enjoyment of these trails for a bit of extra speed up the hills if you ask me.

I did muse a bit about the perfect bike for this tough, and now I'm dreaming of something with similar geometry and travel, but a carbon frame and carbon 29er wheels. I reckon that would be perfect, but sadly I don't have 3 grand to burn.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

re the rules.

I cannot help you on what they are officially but i dont mind that you did [ and would have done the same]

Good effort nice write up and still on my to do list - a great amount of hike a bike though
Trying to capture the steepness of Walna Scar Road
One peugeot 206 + 4 people + bikes = Lets stop about 1/3 of the way up and unload in the middle of the road eh guys as she aint getting up this,
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice write up. I'll be starting in Hawkshead, so hope the Staveley loop doesn't do me in mentally!

TBH, your gear stash...I think it's small fry really.... I'd only say it was dodgy ground if you were trying to claim the record - you've been entirely open about it too.

Edit:
Actually - i think the gear drop is fine. Everyone has the opportunity to start anywhere on the route and do the same, and it's no pre-arranged. If someone were to just drop their water bottle down before a small loop, up and over somewhere you return to, then no-one would bat an eyelid.

If the route had a set start place for an ITT, that would be different, but the Lakeland 200 doesn't, so I think it's fair game.