Dark art advice.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Oli.vert

Dark art advice.....

Post by Oli.vert »

I mean tubeless of course.

I had a major bead seal killing burp while riding down to the Wayfarer monument the other weekend and had to fit a tube as there was no way I was getting a good seal. The quandary I have now is do I just leave it in for the Dirty Riever this weekend or take the tube out and reseal?

What would you do?
benp1

Re: Dark art advice.....

Post by benp1 »

Tube out and reseal. Otherwise you'll just get a puncture!

Maybe a bit more air in the tyre too?
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Thanks for that. I'm being an idiot and slipping back into the old mindset.

Note to self: the point of tubeless is there's no tube!
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Cleaning the gunk off the bead is fun - now to try and get a seal again. Dark art.....

How about that? I got rid of most of the dried goo, teased the bead into place, refilled and up it went, easy.
It's witchcraft I tell you.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

correct decision

Faff in the house is always preferable to faff on the trail
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you don’t have access to a compressor you can make a great tubeless inflator from a fire extinguisher. Most have a built in car type valve to attack your floor pump, remove squirty hose and attach something more valve sized, no need for a chuck even, I just push the rubber hose over the tyre valve, pump the extinguisher up to 80psi and hit the squirt lever. Results in a satisfying pop as the bead seats and inflates to around 35psi.
Easy and cheap. If the beads are weeping I find just riding them works even with X-Kings ~X( ~X( ~X(
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Fire-extinguisher tip is a good one for work. Must remember to keep one when they go out of test and we buy more. Mad that buying new can be cheaper than testing. At home I have scuba cylinders I could use, but I'm always doing this stuff at work.

Now you've got me thinking....I do have some redundant 1L suit inflation cylinders I could use, get onecharged to 150 bar and feed air through an old regulator.....what's the worst that could happen?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Any chance of any pics on the fire extinguisher solution. Always handy to have a backup pressure system for them days that the tubeless doesnt inflate easily.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Definitely tubeless for Dirty Reiver, the first few descents were littered with riders that had punctures the first couple of times i did it
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 am Any chance of any pics on the fire extinguisher solution. Always handy to have a backup pressure system for them days that the tubeless doesnt inflate easily.
https://flic.kr/p/2fqeqzs

Floor pump attached to pre-existing car valve and rubber hose out, bingo :YMPARTY:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark