Bib shorts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Bib shorts

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m a bit of a Gore Fanboi as most of their stuff is fantastic but .... spendy.

I need some new 3/4 bibs and am looking for some alternatives that are as comfortable as my Gore versions but maybe a little less costly. Altura is not an option as their pads kill my ass (see HT550 video).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Re: Bib shorts

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lusso maybe. Meant to be the bees knees (I ended up buying 3 total after trying out the first set of padded shorts) and get good reviews
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I also like Gore. I've just replaced (well, when I can bear to throw them out) a 10 year old pair of Gore bibknickers with another Gore pair. I reckon that's still VFM.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Which ones Scotroutes? Kind of agree as mine are so old can’t work out what type they are
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If planning to spend on Gore. It might be worth waitig a few days or/and joining the Strava Gore challenge. 24 percent off after riding the set time (24 hours in 24 days). Lotta money is that (24 percent) when it comes to Gorewear. I reckon I might have a code available by subday night so can send it forth... :-bd

Shafiq
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought the C5 model. I'd ordered the C3 but they were quite thin. The C5 has a partial Windstopper panel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075S321ZD/ ... 41_TE_dp_1

As usual - shop around for a good price :wink: I got mine for £100.40
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

DHB are spotty dog imho..
psling

Post by psling »

ScotRoutes wrote:I also like Gore. I've just replaced (well, when I can bear to throw them out) a 10 year old pair of Gore bibknickers with another Gore pair. I reckon that's still VFM.
I'm in a similar situation - I have an old (like yours, very old!) pair of Gore bibknickers, a collaboration with Assos which I just can't throw out even though they're falling apart now!
Have bought replacements from Morvelo which I like. I have a collection of Morvelo bibshorts and knickers now, usually bought when they have a sale on.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Rivelo Honister shorts from SportPursuit. They’re really good. Normally reduced to £50 from £120.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Giordana fcr carbon for me. Much better pad than the good endura ones i had. They are £99.00
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-52144/
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Pearl Izumi. The quality of kit costing way more, small logo's, not shouty, long lasting, comfy.

An added bonus is that noone knows it's a brand owned by shhhhhhh-imano. Well, I didnt till recently. :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've never understood 3/4. Shorts and knee or leg warmers, I do like Gore shorts though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I wear the 3/4 for local shortish rides 2-4 hours. sometimes you know you need them - ie my summer ones are very lightweight but if i am heading out at dusk time i know i will need them soon enough so why not put them on- granted they are the least likely bit of kit for me to put on but smetimes they work well .

Amazed at what some of you will pay for cheap material with a foam pad in it
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Can't disagree with Gore shorts Dave. Get what you know works for your ass.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:20 pm I wear the 3/4 for local shortish rides 2-4 hours. sometimes you know you need them - ie my summer ones are very lightweight but if i am heading out at dusk time i know i will need them soon enough so why not put them on- granted they are the least likely bit of kit for me to put on but smetimes they work well .

Amazed at what some of you will pay for cheap material with a foam pad in it
I'm mostly in 3/4s - often under waterproof/water-resistant shorts.

As for costs, I think the longevity of higher-quality clothing makes it more economical in the long run. I've bought cheaper stuff on occasion and often been very disappointed with it. I'll stick to what I know works.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

GregMay wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 pm Can't disagree with Gore shorts Dave. Get what you know works for your ass.
Came to the very same conclusion
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mate i bought some assos 3/4 of the back of jases recommendations and they are superb on long day stuff. And their quality is spot on also, but they werent cheap
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Not what people want to hear on here no doubt, but for the price (when the discount codes come round) nothing beats Crikey, how much Core bibshorts.

Paid £75 for a second pair last year with a code (they are £85 at the moment by the looks of it), that's DHB money nowadays. Super comfy and last for years. Also nice and long in the leg as I'm tall but slim waist and not a fan of the hot pants look.

Says R-a-p-h-a on the side and arse though, albeit in fairly stealth black on black.

Edit: just spotted the 3/4 requirement...buy your favourite non-pad 3/4s and use a descent pair of shorts underneath, then you get a comfy ride all year round instead of pining for your best summer shorts doing a longer ride in the winter.