What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Mike »

Tested my repair work out on yeti and gave it a thrashing to test it out....its still alive after all.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

To Llandegla and back from home

Goosed now
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Decided that Frieda needed building up and cos cost is proving an issue also decided to removed the gearing off Earnie and straight over to Frieda...

But who runs a Halfrauds stem (Boardman actually) on a handmade custom fitted (not for me) posh Italian frame. Bertoletti would be so offended (he doesn't seem to smile in his pics)...

Imageot very posh stem

Some - wet/dry sandpaper, a Sharpie permanent marker wielding 8 year old, a crying 4 year old (needed to use said Sharpie to grafitti his own bike cos thats obviously what we were doing), a barbers bib (over the headset) - time later...

:-bd posh looking swanky stem made by Sir Chris
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had a busy evening in the shed. I've taken the rigid carbon forks off and fitted the brand new RS SIDs :smile: I had to cut the steerer to length which I hate doing as there's no going back if it's wrong.

Hopefully the picture is visible as photobucket have finally realised I don't pay anything but it was still working, so now using an image direct from google photos.

The slightly longer fork meant I had to make a new front brake hose, luckily I already had a length of Hope 5mm hose and new olives to make it easier. I've also swapped the dyno wheel for a normal wheel for the summer now the nights are shorter and my commute is all in the light.

The postman should hopefully bring me some nice carbon jones loops today so with them fitted the bike will only be 100g heavier then it was in the ridid/dyno/ally bar setup. Then all that's left is to fit the new pedals I have (Look Xtrack Race to try instead of my normal Shimano XT) and change the gearing for the B150 next weekend as that's a touch hillier than the Dales :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Cursed it !😡
Fancy it just getting a puncture somewhere riding home from work last night ,
no consideration !
Anyway , new tube in and rolling !
😃
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

A whole lot of faffing with the Fargo.
On went the 27+ wheels. Off they came. On went the 29x2.1’s. Off came the aero bars. Back went the aero bars. All the bags and bottle positions were changed this way and that. Stuff was weighed - physically and philosophically. Final B150 mode now reached although Sean is making me wish I’d sourced some suitable suss forks - never mind. Final setup is influenced by riding to the start/finish from home so gone for fast over comfy (with the caveat that I’m riding it so fast is relative).
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm Sean is making me wish I’d sourced some suitable suss forks
Mine are going on for the HT550 mainly but as they are new I thought they should get a test first. You'll be fine on the rigid, although I had suss forks on the 2017 B150 as I was on my genesis then so I've never ridden it rigid but I rode a fair chunk with Rob Macintyre and he was on a rigid bike and I couldn't keep up with him on the descents :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Did a bit of drilling (or artwork as I like to think of it)... On a bike that the maker called Legend (eugh)...

Is it a Legend. Dunno. Will see. Bought it from a rude snobby seeming guy who couldn't tell any truths and I just realised why he wanted to sell such a sterling (I hope) bike... The sleeve for the front mech seems to be distorted so he was probs not getting good shifting!!...

Anyway.. Here's the hole

Used my trusty Milwaukee with standard 4 or 5mm steel bit and then made bigger with my blue special Bosch bit (8mm I hear you ask)... Some special grade of steel Columbus tubing, didn't disappoint and took a fair bit of patience to finally push through on the bigger hole...

Then finishing touches by daughter with her nail varnish which hopefully protect a bit from the elements... Pnce Di2 wires are all in and running fine I'll go round it with some Sugru (plastic clay type thing)

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Postie delivered a package containing a shiny and light Sram xx1 10-42 cassette and another hope RX4 caliper :-bd

The cassette fitting turned out to be rather more involved than planned, had to pull the free hub and clean/re-grease the pawls and bearings. Obviously I dislodged a pawl and dropped it down the plug hole :-bd

Next job fitting the hope caliper, the front one has been great, I’d never been happy with the sram brakes. The extra power and progressive feel had allowed me to drop down to 160mm rotors, happy days :-bd
Opened the box and got ready, chopped the hose with a Stanley fitted the hope only to realise that it didn’t fit due to hitting the alternator dropout plate :roll:
I briefly considered getting medieval with it but reconsidered and delved into the bits box and found a 180mm disk and adapter, ok this fits but disk is horribly warped and obviously I can’t have a bigger rear disk than front, it would just grate.
Sigh....another order placed for 180mm disks and fittings.
All I wanted was proper brakes on a dropbar bike :((
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
FLV

Post by FLV »

Made mine heavier.

Swapped from 2.3 rear 2.6 front to 2.6 rear 3.0 front.
Its a little heavier. 370g some in the tyre, some in more sealant.

Probaly never feel the mass but wonder if itll ride better
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've been having some trouble with gear changes on the road bike. Rear mech didn't want to play properly. New hanger, checked cables, adjusted screws but still not happy with down-changes once up-changes were dialled in. Eventually narrowed it down to a sticky jockey wheel. I salvaged one out of an old mech, cleaned it, lubed it and fitted it. Suddenly it's all perfect so I rode up the ski access road to test it out.
redefined_cycles

Colin: well done... Trial and Error/high level investigation at its finest

FLV: I reckon it'll definitely ride better. Mine did with a tyre that was 500g heavier.... felt more bulldozerish

I've been working on my lovely Legend road bile today. Used daughters nail varnish and daughter to edit put the LE and D from LEGEND and left with GEN... Bit more of a humble bike name now methinks...

Messed about with di2 and even though its all a bit cramped in there, managed to use some string and a weight (5mm drillbit I hear you ask) to get the di2 wire through the frame (bit of angling) and all joined inside the bottom bracket then pushed further north so the junction box sit closer to the seattube tops maming easier for seatpost swaps (when the shiny used Ritchey WCS drops through the door)...

Then messed about with brake calipers which were dropping enough and ordered (after taking a friendly loan from a mate for a week) some of the TRP Long Drop calipers from ProBikeKit who were offering a 12 percent 48hour discount...

Did alot of looking at both bikes too (Earnie and Frieda)... by eck.. they're gorgeous. Even the missus noticed and mentioned it (about how I randomly just get up and seem to go and touch the bike for some reason or another :grin: )
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 pm I've been having some trouble with gear changes on the road bike. Rear mech didn't want to play properly. New hanger, checked cables, adjusted screws but still not happy with down-changes once up-changes were dialled in. Eventually narrowed it down to a sticky jockey wheel. I salvaged one out of an old mech, cleaned it, lubed it and fitted it. Suddenly it's all perfect so I rode up the ski access road to test it out.
Just had a similar thing with the Fargo, in my case the top jockey had developed lots of side play. Not obvious with the chain on but made a big difference to the shift speed and accuracy.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This started yesterday when I thought I'd swap the handlebars on the Solaris back from the Velo Orange Crazy bars to the "standard" MTB riser bars. Fairly easy to do since each set of bars have the stem attached (different clamp sizes) so just a matter of removing the Hope brakes, swapping bars over and putting brakes back on (the shifter is I-Spec so no separate mount).

All went great until putting the front brake back on when one of the clamp bolts snapped leaving the whole of the stub inside the body of the brake :sad: Decided to leave it until this morning.

Get the Dremel out with the idea of drilling a small line of holes across the top of the stub so that I can get a flat bladed screwdriver in there and simply unscrew it out. It didn't work out like that. The rotational force of the drill bit began to screw the stub further in to the body, fortunately the bolt that had broken was the one that is in the open threaded hole rather than the blind one . So with a bit of care not to catch the threads I keep "drilling" until enough stub has appeared at the other side that I can grab it with a pair of pliers and carry on the process. Once that was done it was a simple matter to fit the brake back on.

Another ten minute job that wasn't :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another job (or jobs) spread over two days ...

When we were up in Scotland at easter I thought Cath's drivetrain sounded a bit "off", she seemed to have a problem selecting one or two gears, particularly going to smaller cogs. Time for a fettle.

Off with rear wheel and hmm. I think those jockey wheels need a clean. I've promised her that I won't post the incriminating photos but let's just say that at the other end she had a wide/very wide chainring :wink: Also curious was a clean area at the top of the jockey arm. With everything cleaned up and back on the bike I set about indexing the gears - there's a definite racket when in the next to bottom gear. A look round the other side and the reason for the clean area at the top of the jockey arm and the racket becomes clear - the b-tension screw has loosened so the largest cog is catching the jockey arm :shock: She's one of the 11-46T Shimano cassettes so there's a massive jump between the two bottom gears. Wind in the b-tension screw a turn or two until it clears. Finally all's OK.

While I was at it I did a quick overhaul of the gears on the Solaris and corrected a bit of rubbing on one of the brakes.

Yesterday evening: "Did you do my brakes?" "Err, no" so this morning it's back out with the bike stand and bleed the brakes. Surprisingly this went pretty well and was relatively painless. Also changed the pads as they were almost at the point where the spring would be contacting the rotor and cleaned and lightly oiled the sides of the pistons. They are now quite a bit sharper and don't need the levers pulling to the bar to slow down. Just hope she doesn't go OTB!

Last job was to set up my new rear wheel for the Spearfish. Got a new tyre in town this morning for it. Gorilla Taped the rim, tyre on, inflated, sealant in, reinflate, do the Stans shake. Swap rotor and cassette over and it's done. Except the cassette rattles so I need the spacer ring that comes with the wheel, cassette off, spacer on, cassette on, done.

Phew!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Built it (over past few days)... My new (to me) bikepacking/commuting iron horse

Steel Columbus tubed handmade by someone that used to make Passonis and the pro's apparently used to pay privately for him to make theirs (Bertoletti).

Called Legend but that had to go. So daughter and nail varnish changed name to Gen and LeEnd (to do) other side.

My other brake calipers didnt have enough drop so had to order and add the TRP (957 I think) and duely added.

Di2 internally routed and battery added to seatpost. Seatpost seemed a bit tight (31.6mm precisely: Good old Tom Ritchey) so either the Italian got his measurements wrong or theres corrosion in seattube or its the worl of that stuff they apply to inhibit corrosion inside seatube.. or, its actually a 31.4mm (shoddy Italians... always want to be different!)...

Anyway... So lovely Ritchey post duely reamed and sanded to 31.5mm and it slides in (not too nicely but at least its not an interference fit and with the copper ease shouldn't get stuck)...

At some point di2 comes undone inside frame so had to remove cranks again and reattach everything (good old Gutterman string and a drillbit to help drive the cable to where we wants em)...

Shifters added... outer cables measured. Didnt have enoigh length of xtr/DA outer brake wire so had to make do with some jagwire (that side the brake lever feels slightly notchy (overstatement but you know whats meant).

Didnt wanna use the cheap metal end crimps for out brake cable so had to shave outer a little and black jagwire ones added for where they enter the caliper body... at the frame end, standard cheapo Halfords outer crimp used (that'll show him for calling it Legend :-bd )...

Brakes toed in... bottle cages added... chain from Earnie wasn't long enough (this more a long wheel base) by 2 links so luckily halfrauds was open and new 105 chain bought, cut, attached, indexed...

Saddle on...

Weighed in with pump attached but ko lights or other softstuff (at 8.9kg with a starting frame only weight of 2.1kg so not too bad a job)... Felt happy..

Asked 12 year old to bring bikebag in and attach... Appripriately brought Almpamayo in from shed but everything else ignored so had to do by self/daughter...

Open BB forum and write the above and smile :smile:

*not in any particular order except last bit...
redefined_cycles

Bought him (Stan... the Sonder :grin: ) in from being unloved in the shed...

hung him up and once get back from Friday Prayers (Juma) will hopefully fatten up the front end (currently maxxis minion 27.5/2.5" DHF) to a 2.8 inch, 1.1kg, Specialized Butcher GRID.... Also needs the m7000 brakes cutting and adding. Hopefully todays the day :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I just took a moment to fix a puncture on the front tyre of my OO Fatty to discover that pretty much every spoke at that end was loose and the wheel a saggy mess. I don't know how it was still standing. Anyhoo, 15 mins with the spoke key and she's back to as roundish as I can be bothered to make it and nice and taught.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

So. Managed to swap the front tyre without much fuss and it pumped up instantly. 2.6 inch actual measured and an extra 150g over the Maxxid Minion but that should bring more peace of mind....

Chopped rront hydraulic brake hose and managed to get it on without bleeding. At the end the lever felt a bit stiff. Opened the bleed port slightly at the lever end and squeezed the pistons back again and took some teeny bubbles out and now feeling nice and braky...

Just the rear brake to add (hopefully without needings to bleed) and I'll have a bike again... :smile:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Prepared the bike ready for the train to Thurso and starting JOGLE
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Fitted a new teeny tiny stem, and tried to get rid of all the scratches caused by my crash earlier.

Anyone know where you can buy a marker pen that actually comes out black instead of purple? Or some sort of touch up paint?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Richard G wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:57 pm Fitted a new teeny tiny stem, and tried to get rid of all the scratches caused by my crash earlier.

Anyone know where you can buy a marker pen that actually comes out black instead of purple? Or some sort of touch up paint?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-up-Pai ... ctupt=true
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sparkly black no less! Fancy. :D

Cheers.
redefined_cycles

Managed to get bike on the road (or roadworthy) again.

Rear hydraulic brake hose cut and threaded through frame. Again managed to get away without bleeding (just make sure the lever/cut end stays higher than caliper and allow pistons to sit proud by 2mm each side and then at end of hose/barb being attached just push pisyons back in and apparently it lets any drops of air into the master cyclinder.... All according to epic bleed solutions. I had to open the bleed port screw and push the pistons back in again at end to allow a couple bubbles out) thanks to God (and obviously EpicBleedSolutions :-bd)...

One of the pedals regreased and both pedals added. Garmin mount attached for the Wahoo.

Jobs a goodun and Maqbools yer uncle (well he is mine)

:-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fitted new (lime green) pedals to the Pact and did a bit of swapping over on the other bikes.

Also fitted a 180mm rotor (and caliper adapter) to the Pact. My front brakes always look a bit weedy compared to a few others on here and I'd managed to bend the 160 rotor in any case.

New saddle on the Orbea. The old Specialized saddle is now well past it so replaced by a new one.

Eventually got around to removing the spiky winter tyres off one wheelset and replacing them with some Marathons for a ride next weekend (that, it turns out, isn't actually happening until July) :oops: