What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by pistonbroke »

Well that is a turn up! Currently sat in the camper van just outside Haro, the town hosting the Eroica Hispania. We got here a couple of hours ago and weather's lovely so went for a pootle. MrsPB has borrowed a suitable bike and is doing the short route but the right pedal has just shat it's ball bearings, not an issue as we'll get some tomorrow. Just checked my emails, the organisation has just written to say that at the 11th hour, the Ministry of Traffic has prohibited the event so it's cancelled. Rather sums up my cycling year, I may just ride all or some of the course anyway. SH1T, bugger bollocks!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

upgraded a front chain ring guard. it was a MYOG job out of catering sized pickle bucket, 5l? and some TP from some trimmed care floor mats all mounted on a ISCG 05 mount off the BB. I now has some an Allumininium backing plate riveted to it and now sits square. the original guard developed a twist after trimming it down. this is now eliminated :-bd
the guard now fends off front rear wheel crud.
to finish off in the morning..
to fine tune a rubber trim to fit...

top left Before, Top right After
Below, in the middle of the mad brain stormin session

I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Orange endurance sealant in front & rear tyre. as both were not hokding air. front is good. Rear seated but a leak I fear.. bike chain-guard fitted & finished... but rear tyre, faulty milkit valve,? I can't see sealant weeping.. :-S ~X( .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Liking the chain guard there, I had various goes at something similar many years ago but could never get it mounted firmly enough as the bike didn't have the ISCG mounts.

Anyway, I've just spent a long time washing / scraping / chipping sheep sh*t of the Jones and generally pampering it after performing so well on the BB200. Hopefully said dung will assist with the growing of my new bit of lawn :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Picked up the Spearfish from the local bike mechanic - the BB bearings needed replacing and I don't have the tool to deal with the Hope BB.

Once home I needed to get the front wheel back to being tubeless after somehow ripping the tyre from the rim whilst in Scotland - quite how I managed that at about 2km/h I have no idea. It actually went really easily :-bd hardly even got out of breath. Currently seems to be staying up but I'll check the pressure tomorrow morning before heading out on a ride.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

hardly even got out of breath
I'd have used a pump myself, but HYOH.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:50 pm I don't have the tool to deal with the Hope BB.
I bought one of these to fit mine

https://www.bearingprotools.com/collect ... m-brackets

I also got some adapters for pressing the bearing in. Cheaper than the Hope tool.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:13 pm Liking the chain guard there, I had various goes at something similar many years ago but could never get it mounted firmly enough as the bike didn't have the ISCG mounts.

Anyway, I've just spent a long time washing / scraping / chipping sheep sh*t of the Jones and generally pampering it after performing so well on the BB200. Hopefully said dung will assist with the growing of my new bit of lawn :-bd
we here is it finished. it now parallel to the chainset
that the most important part. the old one skewed when trimming it to fit. a bit more 'research reveled it is an ISCG03 (not ISCG05, different screw positions)

Also Granit Cricket bell fitted.. on 29er as above (not pictured)

PhotoPictureResizer_20211022_232347_copy_4000x3000_99993864368074-01.jpeg
PhotoPictureResizer_20211022_232347_copy_4000x3000_99993864368074-01.jpeg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

Replaced my failed bottom bracket. The left-hand side fell to bits as I hammered the cranks out. Pretty sure there should've been some bearing in there... 🤔

It would appear that I've also worn a groove into the spindle... 🙁

Also checked the indexing of the gears, which were skipping all over the place on the BB200. No adjustment and on the stand, it goes up and down without skipping or other issue. 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey Bob you've done a good job on that one...
The groove on the crank is slightly worrying but I'm sure it will buff out :???:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm Blimey Bob you've done a good job on that one...
The groove on the crank is slightly worrying but I'm sure it will buff out :???:
it looks like it has worn from the edge of the outer bearing race. gulp
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I decided to take my Pace RC627 that i used on Barebones and convert it to single speed for the winter - or till i decide enough is enough.

I am running 30 x 16 using the Gusset Sram XD convertor, it was really easy.

As the cables all run externally with one length of hose, its all come off in a single piece, and i can just plonk it back on if i break my knees.

I have done 2 ride so far and found it very challenging but fun too....i have not had to push up anything yet too which is a big suprise.The nicest part of it is that its so quiet when descending.... the worst part is im limited to around 20-22km/h on the canals which often feature on my rides for at least 5 or so km.

Im sure anyone familier with the Peak will know the Trig for bonus points.....
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Fitted the weekend's birthday presents; Absolute Black direct mount boost oval 30t chainring to the rigid 29er, and some Ritchey Beacon bars to the Arkose X
faustus

Post by faustus »

that BB and crank Boab, Wow! :o
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

L2R24 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:52 pm Fitted the weekend's birthday presents; Absolute Black direct mount boost oval 30t chainring to the rigid 29er, and some Ritchey Beacon bars to the Arkose X
Oval Rings I luv em, no going back :X
the smallest my cranks(4 arm XT triple) was 34T on rohloff & 34 inner on road bike (5 arm FSA Gossamer),
I wish the road bike had a 4 arm crank to make 'not round rings' more oval.. - 5.bolt rings are oval ish.. :roll: .
limited by bolt hole positions..at smaller sizes 34t
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:46 pm I decided to take my Pace RC627 that i used on Barebones and convert it to single speed for the winter - or till i decide enough is enough.

I am running 30 x 16 using the Gusset Sram XD convertor, it was really easy.

As the cables all run externally with one length of hose, its all come off in a single piece, and i can just plonk it back on if i break my knees.

I have done 2 ride so far and found it very challenging but fun too....i have not had to push up anything yet too which is a big suprise.The nicest part of it is that its so quiet when descending.... the worst part is im limited to around 20-22km/h on the canals which often feature on my rides for at least 5 or so km.

Im sure anyone familier with the Peak will know the Trig for bonus points.....
Hello Alex
I keep thinking I should try exploding my knees as well and that xd convertor looks great although out of stock at the moment.
So my question is did you put a new chain ring on as well?
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Hi Tim,

No, im just running a 11 Speed Spire Narrow Wide chainring, on a 9 speed chain. Seems fine - no issues at all.

So all i bought was the convertor - £30 and a 9 Speed chain £20....job done.

Ive done about 5 rides now, all about 35km with 1000m of climbing, and my body is still holding up just fine.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Finishing off the Unit X build, which is fairly easy as it's mostly swapping stuff from another Unit. Just some cable shortening, chain, and bits and bobs to do before a shakeout ride...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fitted a 30T chainring ready for next week. :-bd The 32T felt a little too hard last weekend when the going got soft. So if a 30:46 ratio is too much then I'm off and walking! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

30/46? - Hardcore! Try 26.
For me its a 22 out back to match the humongousness of the duro crux's on for the winter. Its rained all day every day since the weekend here so will be mud-tastic from now on.....
Next 'winter' jobs will be to fit dynamo wheels to the skinny bikes and bud 'n lou to the fatbike. Ahh its winter!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not single speed! :roll: There's an 11-46T cassette out back :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:04 pm Not single speed! :roll: There's an 11-46T cassette out back :grin:
I guessed! fatbike has 26 up front and 11-46 on the back. will get you up most things. Spoiler alert, except yon road climbs, somewhere in mid Wales....
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:08 am Hi Tim,

No, im just running a 11 Speed Spire Narrow Wide chainring, on a 9 speed chain. Seems fine - no issues at all.

So all i bought was the convertor - £30 and a 9 Speed chain £20....job done.

Ive done about 5 rides now, all about 35km with 1000m of climbing, and my body is still holding up just fine.
Great thanks, I will give it a bash. :-bd
What's the worst than can happen?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I finally managed to free a speedhub sprocket. :-bd chain whip & spanner on the dog tooth tool locking freewheel in place wouldn't free it. so I put the dog tooth tool in the vice wheel horizontal, sprocket on bottom.
I thought I was going to turn the work bench round in the shed, pushing sideways, it was that tight. them BAM it freed up a little oil leaked out. then brain in neutral, I unscrewed the sprocket further. I know know why the say don't put the bike down on the sprocket side. :lol:
it not the recommended way to start an oil change. At least it was only 25ml of oil not 100ml or more. :lol:
next a job proper oil change.
ps sprocket re-greased & reversed. :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've finally finished building up my Pipedream Alice.