What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by ledburner »

FLV wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:43 pm
Might bleed the brakes before I ride it though, as they're don't work currently :grin:
That'll kill all the excitement.. :grin:
... And the chance to be a contender or Injury of the month in a UK MTB mag. Sporsortd by Anadin... :shock:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 am
Might bleed the brakes before I ride it though, as they're don't work currently :grin:
... And the chance to be a contender or Injury of the month in a UK MTB mag. Sporsortd by Anadin... :shock:
:lol: :lol: can't believe you're my cycling buddy. :lol: :lol: sooo funny.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ledburner wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 am
Well, bars were / are lovely. Brakes weren't as I did another bleeding and just went for the 5 pumps of the lever before you mean in method :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Replaced SRAM gears with Shimano on the Epic, and the SRAM level guide crappy brakes with Hope X2 race brakes, shortened the hoses, bled the brakes and took it out this morning for a play in the snow. Everything works, and bike feels great, just need to get used to riding in the mud again!!
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Finished the last touches to my krampus build and then went for a ride in the snow

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Serviced the lowers on the SIDs on the Spearfish, see Bikepacking Bouncers thread for how overdue this was.

I bought the oil and SRAM butter late last year ready but didn't get round to doing it. I remembered last night that I was also going to buy a seal pick for removing the foam rings. Whilst doing the weekly shop (I go on a Friday night as it's empty) I kept an eye out for something that could be used as or modified to become said seal pick. Picked up a small flat-head screwdriver for £1

When at the checkout I mentioned to the server my plans for the screwdriver (I see so few people these days I'll start a conversation with anyone whether they want to or not) and he promptly produced a Snap-On seal pick "This is what you need he says", i know I replied, but ASDA don't sell them. He used to be a copier and office equipment service engineer. What are the chances that the man working the checkout would have the Rolls Royce of seal picks with him? He didn't offer to loan it to me though.

The small screwdriver had any sharp edges removed with a file and some wet and dry. I then had to bend it to a more useful shape. I heated it up over the gas stove until cherry red and bent it in the vice :-bd Try doing that with a meths stove :wink: This is also a good way to finish off those gas canisters which are effectively empty but some gas will still come out. It only took seconds to heat to the required temperature which is either an indication of how hot the stove is or the quality of the metal.

The fork service went well. Part of the reason I have been putting it off is I've never done it before and I was intimidated by it, but actually it's pretty easy. Getting the foam rings back in is the hardest bit followed by sliding the lowers back on. They should make one of the legs of the uppers slightly longer so you only have to engage it in one seal at a time. The oil in my forks (what little there is) was still clean, the foam rings were pretty clean and there was not a mark on the uppers so the factory service interval is about 25%of what's actually required. Now I've done it once I'll probably do it more often, maybe every 150 hours :grin: I use Fork Juice on them whenever they are washed and I wonder of that helps with the life of them? It lubricate the seals and also stops the dirt sticking to the stanchions.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Great. Job,
You've reminded must look at the Magura. D150 forks. Monday jobs my day off...
But whilst the bike is in the steady rack, all the weight is mainly on thd front tyre, as its uppermost. Why do both tyre deflate? From 30 psi - 15 psi in less than a week?
Time to renew the sealant (Caffè latte). It may be a leaking Milkit valve. As the inner tube extension is not firmly fixed to the brass on of them... I'll have to ask Madison...
Yes I know I'll also have to pump them up..
Attachments
IMG_31012021_003748_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
(101.57 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Riding home from another mudfest yesterday I noticed my rear brake was getting a bit noisy and figured the pistons might be getting sticky so I had a look when I got home. The noise was the springs scraping on the rotors and the pads were almost down to the metal so I stuck some new ones in after a quick clean up. Thought I'd better check the front as well and it was almost as bad. The bike's now ready for more slop surfing in the morning (once I've negotiated the icy forest roads to access the boggy Single-track). :-bd
redefined_cycles

Mind the wallpaper please. Just strapped the 17L pack after squishing the work PPE in there. Never thought it'd fit previously and it's a faff anyway.

Then attached the rear light to it which was a bit wonky. So squished a car in there to align it a little. Hope the handbrake doesn't brake (or break... hmmm... brake or break) whilst riding to work.

Not ridden in a while and yesterday was supposed to be a 30 miler but got tired with baby on the 2 mile preceding it so chucked in the towel...

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The car brilliant, but it not carbon! .

You do know, that is the start of the slippery slope to car commuting..? :lol:
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:45 pm The car brilliant, but it not carbon! .

You do know, that is the start of the slippery slope to car commuting..? :lol:
Good point. He needs a carbon car to align my light. All that weight he's costing me. The little s n so... :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have taken both tyres off the 29er cube Frankenbike. (WTB Ranger 2.25, seem ok)

The Caffèlatex sealant had dried out. Most of pull off. 2 dose had lasted 3 year! :-bd
-How do I soften the rest to remove.?
(Soaking in hot water helps.)
I Found 1 thorn so I now have trust in the Caffè latex.
I may try OrangeSeal next.
-Has any one experience of the sealants that claim not to dry out.?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Fiddled again. Ive not had this bike long but so far its been like this

1, Rigid 29er. 2.6 rear 3.0 front
2, 100mm forks, 2.25 rear 2.4 front

Last night (after a little ride) it changed again

3, 120mm forks, 2.4 rear, 2.6 front

See how it rides next time out (needs a stem swap first for a low stack height i have due to steerer length on the older forks)

I do like to monkeying about with bikes :grin:

Also, So far I find these new fangled steeper seat tubes (75) a bit wierd. Needs time before i can say if I like it and im surprised how much i can feel it, but it doesn't feel great out of the box.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went to change the fubarred BB on the fat bike and ...

The cranks wouldn't come off :???: Upon further investigation (i.e. search YouTube for videos on how to remove that particular crank) it looked like there was a stopper nut missing that the extractor nut pulled against. A search of the bags we'd used to ship the bikes back from Norway last year turned up nothing. AAAAAGH!

Put everything back together and ring local bike mechanic who wasn't in.

Hmm.

Then I noticed I'd a set of crank pullers and remembered - when I'd built up the bike I'd got the BB spacers wrong and needed to buy the pullers to get the cranks off! (One of those jobs that takes a hundred times longer to get the tool than do the job itself) Doh!

Bikestand back out, and the cranks come off easy peasy :-bd The BB on the other hand :shock: I thought the drive side was rough but the NDS basically fell to bits once I got it off the spindle.

Turns out that there's at least two different fixing/extracting methods for that particular named system - Raceface Cinch - the videos all refer to setups not on the fat bike.

So all fixed and there's snow outside :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:46 pm Then I noticed I'd a set of crank pullers
I once arrived at my workshop and my mate was just putting his cranks back on. He asked "How do you normally get these apart? I took me a half hour of hammering and bashing to get the arm off" Umm, I usually use the crank puller but whatever works for you I guess :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As the saying goes: "If all you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail."

What's annoying (apart from me forgetting) is that Raceface use the same name without "version 1" or similar for all variants of the fastening mechanism.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:44 pm I have taken both tyres off the 29er cube Frankenbike. (WTB Ranger 2.25, seem ok)

The Caffèlatex sealant had dried out. Most of pull off. 2 dose had lasted 3 year! :-bd
-How do I soften the rest to remove.?
(Soaking in hot water helps.)
I Found 1 thorn so I now have trust in the Caffè latex.
I may try OrangeSeal next.
-Has any one experience of the sealants that claim not to dry out.?
Refitted 29 tubes tyres. Surplus latex removed (ex ballast). Fixed separated Milkit valve core. The black deflation tube had come away. (That pierces the self closing valve at the bottom of the valve stem.) . Henkel extreme glue seems to hold it on. Reseated tyre on 2nd attenpt, with soapy water this time. Home made tye blaster, repurposed, up cycle or pimped a old lidl Garden spayer. The tyre beads were not on the rim seats. Added Caffèlatex.. All seems good. Milkit syringe works filling no fuss. just remember to halve low air pressure <1 bar 15psi so the plunger and latex don't fire back at you. I also made sure the valve was at 4 o'clock so the sealent would run down.
IMG_02022021_160440_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
Home made tyre blaster large vol. Handles 50psi
(87 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

FLV wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:45 am Fiddled again. Ive not had this bike long but so far its been like this

1, Rigid 29er. 2.6 rear 3.0 front
2, 100mm forks, 2.25 rear 2.4 front

Last night (after a little ride) it changed again

3, 120mm forks, 2.4 rear, 2.6 front

See how it rides next time out (needs a stem swap first for a low stack height i have due to steerer length on the older forks)

I do like to monkeying about with bikes :grin:

Also, So far I find these new fangled steeper seat tubes (75) a bit wierd. Needs time before i can say if I like it and im surprised how much i can feel it, but it doesn't feel great out of the box.
I assumed you moved the saddle back..
Then get a old LT tusbuster edit Thud buster it's of layback
redefined_cycles

29er wheels went on with the 3.0 tires. Knew it wss a long shot and the rear probably only has spacing for a 2.5 tops. Filthy/worn drivetrain came off :grin: and ready to be posted to its new owner. New cranks on which just need a ring and xt mech/shifter off ready to be cleaned and sold on.

Before that I rearranged my gear into the saddlepack to be used until the beautiful carradice gets here. If that doesn't work then I may opt for another saddlepack but bigger. Maybe if I can get an 18 or 20L I'll be sorted. Hey, ho...

A bit upside down but the notes from post end anti clockwise, are: batt; main body; BB tool wallet; chin end(of); visor; tubing... lets hope it doesn't sag about but might add some of that stretchy green strap I got off Stu...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fitted a new pair of Mudhugger mudguards to my fat bike after the old ones had been repaired multiple times using hot glue and chopped up milk cartons. Also I finally tubelessed the fat wheels successfully (at the third attempt, previous two attempts aborted due to losing the will to live after recharging my Airshot thousands of times) and finally fitted a Wolftooth dropper remote which was ridiculously expensive but is just a nice thing to have on my bars.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Carbon handlebars for a bit of comfort
Same shape as current
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Mart wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:43 pm Carbon handlebars for a bit of comfort
Same shape as current
what'd you get please Mart? Cheap(er)?... Got a link?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Not cheap Shaf..... I wanted one with loads of sweep so that limits options

https://hayesbicycle.com/products/prota ... 9589320749
2924 miles per Gallon
jobro

Post by jobro »

Readjusted the position of my bell for maximum ding :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

jobro wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:21 pm Readjusted the position of my bell for maximum ding :grin:
Dang what I ringa-ding ding foxy upgrade.