What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by ledburner »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:00 pm Not on my bike but its for bike packing so it counts (doesn't it?)

I sussed a way to fix my under quilt to my new hammock.
Just have to wait for Amozon to deliver me a £12 press stud fitting kit tomorrow (remind me why we still need the High Street) and more faffing will ensue tomorrow
Did you get Kamsnap or Pryn resin (plastic) snaps. Rather than Newey metal snaps?
I rate resin snaps, not cold to the touch and don't corrode.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Butcher the Bike (as opposed to a 'butchers bike') coming along nicely. Managed to keep my carbon footprint/plastic-use down too (I think).

Done yesterday but it's still within about 24 hours :smile: Bars, Thomson stem and other stuff straight off of Stan (the poorly Sonder). Cassette which I had lying about for a year or 3.

XTR rear mech from ebay and the first xtr or DA I've met with play. Seller stated that it still shifts fine so am confidebt with it. Jockey wheels were somewhat naffed (but not the bearings) so serviced them with some donor parts from the poorly XT mech. Plucked off the seals, through clean and eash and then some new grease before adding back the bearing seals. Three holes strategically placed (yes I did speak to James (thanks again)... and yes I know it would void a warranty if it had one, which it doesn't) in the DT/ST and dropper from Stan applied.

Wheels went on some time ago and are again recycled with me being 3rd or 4th owner (thanks again Allen et al). Not ready to cut into the bars yet so have just gone with traditional lockons (as opposed to the LockGrip patented by Nukeproof or WTB)...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:44 am
JohnClimber wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:00 pm Not on my bike but its for bike packing so it counts (doesn't it?)

Just have to wait for Amozon to deliver me a £12 press stud fitting kit tomorrow (remind me why we still need the High Street) and more faffing will ensue tomorrow
Did you get Kamsnap or Pryn resin (plastic) snaps. Rather than Newey metal snaps?
The plastic ones, they've worked brilliantly (I hope), They weere the same size and clicked straight in to my Alpkit quilts press studs too luckerly
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 pm
ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:44 am

The plastic ones, they've worked brilliantly (I hope), They weere the same size and clicked straight in to my Alpkit quilts press studs too luckerly
Here starts a new press stud hobby! They're a lot better than the metal ones, and making up them is more reliable. Pay attention to how they mate the back are similar but one type sits better on the head an the others sit better on the 'posts'. Look for a minimumm gap when testing, before setting
🤔👍
redefined_cycles

Reapired the little section of delamination on my Apidura bag. Used Shoe Goo. Pity about not being able to do a clean application :sad:

Am hopeful it'll last ages though...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had a quick return to the mudguards - definitely not an m4 bolt and definitely paint in the threads causing the m5 bolt not to engage with the thread. Time to find a m5 tap or get the lbs to do it, a bit 50/50 about doing it myself with a carbon fork.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Messed around with the front mech for a while, gear changing much smoother now. The mech is on a clamp that has a bit of innertube between it and the seat tube, turns out it had slipped round a little, causing a lot of chain rub and very noisy gear changing.

All in all a ten minute job stretched over a couple of hours due to lack of space, skill and knowledge, but enthusiasm (lack of ability to admit defeat) got me through :grin:
redefined_cycles

Finally managed to manglw the bearings from uaing the road bike as a gravel/mountain bike. A bit scary but it's handled it amazingly. Headset had collapser though, to the point I wondered whether I had some unusual headset standard with a drop in (fully integrated) at the top and a semi integrated-press fit mishmash. Similar to Canyons...

Thankfully it was just the liwer bearing hadn't fared well on the cobbly bits. Thankfully it's steel and an overly engineered 2.2kg affair (frame +700g fork) so the frame seems to bw loving the abuse.

Smacked the bearing out this am and the star nut (well, carbon steerer bung) had glued itself to the topcap bolt. So when ai removed it, everything came apart. Manufacturer must've put a quality piece of star nut* that I managed to fish it all out the steerer and rebuild...

Rebuilt steerer bung

Smacked out bottom bearing (with the proper so I don't mangle it farther :lol: ... sorry).
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Not today, but over the last few weeks...

I bought a Longitude in June and have been riding it round Gower ever since. It’s not been a bad bike but the the front wheel sat a little off centre in the forks and the steerer was a little short.

So I ‘swapped out’ the stock forks for a pair of Surly ECR forks. It now has a nice high set of Jones Bars on the longer steerer, the forks are a tiny bit longer and there is a few mm less offset. The front wheel sits nice and central in the fork. The net result of this is that the bike rides really well. I prefer it to how it was. Whether that is just the higher front end or if the added length helped I can’t say. Interestingly the fork blades are a tad fatter but the ECR forks are slightly lighter than the stock ones. They also have two sets of triple cage mounts.

Next I stuck a Sunrace 46 tooth 10 speed cassette on which works well with my Deore shadow rear mech with goat link. I also put an more inline seat post on to reduce the offset on the slack angled frame.

Anyway, the bike now rides better than before and I am really enjoying it as a do all lockdown Gower exploration machine.

Anyway, the point of my rambling post is...

1. The 29er ECR fork works well on a longitude
2. Small tweaks can make a reasonable bike into a good bike.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The gravel bike mudguard saga is finally complete. Freshly tapped mudguard eyelets did the trick and they're all fitted after 30 minutes of fiddling to get the stays to clear the small side knobs on the tyres. Just in time for winter to end and for us to be unleashed.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Out on the mountain bike last night and noticed that grindy feeling in the steering towards the end of the ride. Thought to myself, I bet that headset is in a right state after a winter of mank.

Stripped it down this morning and sure enough it was in horrible condition. Cleaned it all off (is there a more satisfying job?), but noticed the top bearing was well and truly knackered. Bugger, I hate tracking down bearings on the web and I wanted to go out on the bike at the weekend as well. Popped down to the newish bike shop in the village and he had just what I needed for £6. Plopped in place, reassembled everything and the steering is all fresh and lovely. Small but satisfying job :-bd
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Hamish wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 pm So I ‘swapped out’ the stock forks for a pair of Surly ECR forks. It now has a nice high set of Jones Bars on the longer steerer, the forks are a tiny bit longer and there is a few mm less offset. The front wheel sits nice and central in the fork. The net result of this is that the bike rides really well. I prefer it to how it was. Whether that is just the higher front end or if the added length helped I can’t say. Interestingly the fork blades are a tad fatter but the ECR forks are slightly lighter than the stock ones. They also have two sets of triple cage mounts.

Next I stuck a Sunrace 46 tooth 10 speed cassette on which works well with my Deore shadow rear mech with goat link. I also put an more inline seat post on to reduce the offset on the slack angled frame.
Interesting stuff. Wouldn't mind an ECR fork for mine somewhere down the line, I'd like the extra cage mounts. Definitely a luxury buy for me though. You running the 29er version? Also, what Deore mech have you got running with a 46t?

Similarly over the last few weeks I have overhauled mine. Bought second hand in Dec. Pulled off the stock triple and replaced with a 36/24 double, and swapped the 36t cog in the back for a 42t. Old Deore RD came off in favour of an 11-speed M7000 with a bigger capacity - interestingly, 11 speed mountain mechs work perfectly with 10-speed setups. Big range now and a sub-17 gear inch. Just how I like it. Deore brake levers replaced with Speed Dials to match the BB7s and some Supacaz Siliconez grips to finish off the Geoff bars.

One issue I didn't foresee is that the big cassette gets in the way of the inner pad adjuster on the rear brake. Not a problem for small tweaks as you can just about get a multi-tool torx bit in there, but brake setup/overhaul now requires rear wheel removal before putting it back in for fine caliper adjustment.

Small penalty though. Bike runs like an absolute champ and is ideally specced now for the terrain out here in west Wales.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Re-building my Fargo from the parts I swapped out onto the Transition Rapture back in the summer.
Having to fit around other stuff so yesterday I managed to:
Put a new Royce square taper BB in.
Bolt on Refdshift Kitchen Sink bas and gave a think about how the drop bar grips will work with my Rohloff shifter.
Bigger rotors on both wheels.
Swap out the ancient Rohloff 19t sprocket for a fancy new one with a splined carrier.
Switch the OEM2 for an OEM1 axle plate.
Retakes the front wheel and pressed in the tubeless valve.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

directdrive wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:46 pm
Hamish wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 pm So I ‘swapped out’ the stock forks for a pair of Surly ECR forks. It now has a nice high set of Jones Bars on the longer steerer, the forks are a tiny bit longer and there is a few mm less offset. The front wheel sits nice and central in the fork. The net result of this is that the bike rides really well. I prefer it to how it was. Whether that is just the higher front end or if the added length helped I can’t say. Interestingly the fork blades are a tad fatter but the ECR forks are slightly lighter than the stock ones. They also have two sets of triple cage mounts.

Interesting stuff. Wouldn't mind an ECR fork for mine somewhere down the line, I'd like the extra cage mounts. Definitely a luxury buy for me though. You running the 29er version? Also, what Deore mech have you got running with a 46t?

Similarly over the last few weeks I have overhauled mine. Bought second hand in Dec. Pulled off the stock triple and replaced with a 36/24 double, and swapped the 36t cog in the back for a 42t. Old Deore RD came off in favour of an 11-speed M7000 with a bigger capacity - interestingly, 11 speed mountain mechs work perfectly with 10-speed setups. Big range now and a sub-17 gear inch. Just how I like it. Deore brake levers replaced with Speed Dials to match the BB7s and some Supacaz Siliconez grips to finish off the Geoff bars.

One issue I didn't foresee is that the big cassette gets in the way of the inner pad adjuster on the rear brake. Not a problem for small tweaks as you can just about get a multi-tool torx bit in there, but brake setup/overhaul now requires rear wheel removal before putting it back in for fine caliper adjustment.

Small penalty though. Bike runs like an absolute champ and is ideally specced now for the terrain out here in west Wales.
Yes it’s the original green 29 version that I bought on ebay last June. It was in perfect nick and I pounced on it as it was a 29er. Then I looked at the current longitude geometry and I’m pretty sure the frame is the same!?

I run 2.6 tyres on the back to avoid chain rub and 3.0 up front. It’s a deore shadow rear mech with a clutch. Not sure which exact version but with a goat link it’s rock solid and works well.

I thought about going to a double (it came as 1x) but thought I’d try a bigger cassette first and it’s pretty good to be fair.

I see the problem with the bb7 adjustment. On my Pugsley, once I have freed the inner pad with a torx, I can often adjust it by hand using the big plastic dial.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Hamish wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:41 am
Yes it’s the original green 29 version that I bought on ebay last June. It was in perfect nick and I pounced on it as it was a 29er. Then I looked at the current longitude geometry and I’m pretty sure the frame is the same!?

I run 2.6 tyres on the back to avoid chain rub and 3.0 up front. It’s a deore shadow rear mech with a clutch. Not sure which exact version but with a goat link it’s rock solid and works well.

I thought about going to a double (it came as 1x) but thought I’d try a bigger cassette first and it’s pretty good to be fair.

I see the problem with the bb7 adjustment. On my Pugsley, once I have freed the inner pad with a torx, I can often adjust it by hand using the big plastic dial.
Nice. I've got the same one. I think the 'new' frame is the same too, or at least that any alterations are extremely minor. The current incarnation takes 29 inch wheels anyway. Must say that I really like the 29er setup, it rolls like a monster truck over rocks and stuff.

I looked at getting a Bootzipper in 650b as well but had some serious misgivings about that bike, not least the SX Eagle groupset it's specced with.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

directdrive wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:53 pm
Nice. I've got the same one. I think the 'new' frame is the same too, or at least that any alterations are extremely minor. The current incarnation takes 29 inch wheels anyway. Must say that I really like the 29er setup, it rolls like a monster truck over rocks and stuff.

I looked at getting a Bootzipper in 650b as well but had some serious misgivings about that bike, not least the SX Eagle groupset it's specced with.
Yes, I am getting to really like the bike. It is very comfortable and rolls really well for all day riding.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Put my Trek away at the start of the winter, so got it out, cleaned it up, pumped up the tyres and it’s now ready for the spring and summer :-bd Never put a mountain bike away in the winter before but it feels like a new bike day :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Fargo reboot continues: Both wheels now taped and tyres - Schwalbe G-One Allround 2.25 - are on.
Crankset on.
First fit of controls done.
Front brake calliper fitted.
WSC
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

The bottom bracket on my old hybrid was creaking a bit the last time I was out, so I removed the crank to have a look at it. With the crank off it felt and sounded like it was full of gravel, so I whipped it off and ordered a Shimano U300 to replace it. That BB had only been in for a year and will have only done a couple of thousand miles, so I'm not best pleased.
While the crank was off I removed the big chainring as I never use it, and while the bike's up on the blocks I'm going to do a hub and headset service too.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Cleaned the chain and cassette. Then checked that its worn and swapped it over for a shiny XTR. Cleaned a little more. Popped some normal tires in there (as opposed to gravel tires with little clearance).

Then I packed it and baby (well, he's 6, so a big boy now) made me a rocket with buttons that match the SB straps... I reckon it's gonna make me go faster.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Cleaned the chain ... Then checked that its worn
This strikes me as the wrong way round to be doing such things.
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:14 pm
Cleaned the chain ... Then checked that its worn
This strikes me as the wrong way round to be doing such things.
It was/is :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Fargo build continues:
Both brake callipers on and new inner and outer cables cables fitted.
Rohloff outer cables fitted.
All cable ends have been smoothed off on the bench grinder.
Chain fitted.

Meanwhile... I’ve switched to running the Krampus with a chain tensioner. Last few times I’ve ridden it the Rohloff has slipped in the track ends. I compensated by cranking the Allen key skewer so hard it snapped. It may not be so neat but running the tensioner is much more reliable with Surly dropouts.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Fargo finito.
Finished cabling the Rohloff.
Dynamo lightning/charging wires installed.
Redshift drop grips attached. Remaining bars taped.
Saddle and bar positions tweeted.
Good to go.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm Fargo finito.
Finished cabling the Rohloff.
Dynamo lightning/charging wires installed.
Redshift drop grips attached. Remaining bars taped.
Saddle and bar positions tweeted.
Good to go.
Dare you post a picture? It sounds wonderful, a bike fit for adventure!