What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tried to fit my Cube road bike to a turbo trainer.

The (non-standard, XTR) rear mech fouled the trainer as the cage was too long.

That meant removing the 11-34T cassette I'd fitted and the XTR rear mech.

I was going to re-fit the 11-28T cassette I had taken off in the summer, only to find it was actually 11-27T.

Luckily, I had a spare 11-28T Ultegra cassette waiting to be fitted.

Then fitted my old Ultegra mech.

But then the gear inner was too short.

So I had to fit a new inner.

Anyroadup, it's all fitted now, including a new chain.

Zwift has been initiated, though I'm still working through the IT side of things.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've just have fun all evening. TTFS- if it's not broke don't touch it etc.. That's this evennings lesson... Trying to fit, a tubeless tyre. 29.x 2.0 Vittoria Saguaro tyre, (multi conditions) on the rear wheel.
They may have a few slight kinks in side wall, from packaging upon fitting.
I come to the conclusion the WTB Rangers 2.25 are a bit tight for space at the rear end, frame that is :grin:
I unpacked the Saguaro and left it hanging loose all morning to de-stress after packaging.

I fitted them with soapywayer after , they wouldn't seat either side. So I fitted them with an innertube. On the 2 attempt removing the innertube, to keep one Bead, seated. :sad: the fun began.
After several attempts trying to inflate, X_X also tried soap & water or gently manipulating the side walls also did little improve matters.
I decided to fit & leaving the tube in at max pressure 4bar/60psi over night.
Hopefullyseated that will stretch out the distortions.
I have checked them, after deflation, the look like they kink free, (but didn't dare unseat yhe beads). Reinflated again. When I originally fitted (3yrs ago), and recently refitted, I don't have these issues. In I'll Omen? x( :-O
Faff, fiddle & fumble.
*Tubeless Tyre Fitting Saga
Last edited by ledburner on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fitted the redshift Drop grips and Top Grips, as a bonus I managed to reposition the AXS blips and get them under the tape.

They look slightly odd but feel great, hopefully they will help prevent numb hands when we can finally get back out.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 am I've just have fun all evening. TTFS- if it's not broke don't touch it etc.. Thas this evenning lesson... Trying to fit, ane pair of tubeless tyres. 29.x 2.0 Vittoria Saguaro tyre, (multi conditions)......
er night.
Hopefullyseated that will stretch out the distortions.
I have checked them, after deflation, the look like they're kink free, (but didn't dare unseat the beads). Reinflated again. When I originally fitted (3yrs ago), and recently refitted, I don't have these issues. In I'll Omen? x( :-O
Faff, fiddle & fumble.
*Tubeless Tyre Fitting Saga
On Friday morning, posted a bit late, been busy.. I inflated them with the repair edhomebrew tyre blaster (brittle plastic in Freezing conditions damage pressure dump valve). I modified a schraeder adapter. Took out the valve depression pin, the air now dumps faster. Seated properly. Mostly deflated from 50 psi -->15psi, added sealant via Milkit Valves. Reinflated seemed good. The a, spin round the block. F-f-fre-eze-zing. Sealant distributed. Bike putaway. Satisfactory outcome.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I was in the process of reassembling my spare fat bike today (which I lend out to fatty curious friends and which has been languishing in the loft of late) when I noticed a loose spoke. I did think that one spoke on the front wheel being loose was a bit strange but didn't give it too much thought. When I got around to tightening it up however I discovered that it was loose because the nipple had pulled through the eyelet on the carbon rim. Now I've said for a while that I'll never buy carbon rims again as I managed to whack the rear one off a rock causing terminal delamination (hence why the other one is on a loaner bike) but this has just reinforced my opinion. Sure they were Chinese (Nextie) rims but they were still a thousand pound pair of wheels. Hopefully I can bond something into the eyelet to allow the wheel to continue in service. Not over the moon obviously. x(
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I feel your pain, I had a WTB carbon rim fail last year. Scary as I had just hit 45mph down a big hill!
Could you epoxy a spoke washer in place if the crack isn’t too big?
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Washed my fatbike. Yeah, but that's the first time this year and it's the only bike I've been riding. It's just been too cold up until yesterday when it went up to a balmy 5c. While it doesn't actually get all that dirty when things are sub-zero, it was great to get all the salty crud off it. Hell, I even cleaned the chain!

I also had to back off air pressure in the forks again. I'd had to increase it as they'd gone a bit soft in the cold.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:07 am I feel your pain, I had a WTB carbon rim fail last year. Scary as I had just hit 45mph down a big hill!
Could you epoxy a spoke washer in place if the crack isn’t too big?
Yeah that's my plan Steve. Not sure what to use yet, I'll need to get the tyre off and see how much space there is inside the rim.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I,ve 'modded' spring on the rohloff chain tensioner, by extending the spring tail. The only way I Could do this was by unwounding it a, full turn. . I don't think it has affected the chain tension but I now have something grab on to it when releasing the spring or putting it back. Before that it was, a 'gefingersnappen' owner beware poor design. The sprung wire hooks over a post with a locating groove. It seem easier to fit or release. I will find out it this successful on the rough.

The line in blue was the original shape
Attachments
Rohloff tensioner spring mod
Rohloff tensioner spring mod
IMG_20210215_223956.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The saga of fitting my mudguards continues...

Armed with the correct size fork crown bolt at the 3rd attempt the front mudguard goes on easily. Grab the clip-in stays and realise they’re too short. I look askance at the rear stays that are suspiciously too long and realise I’m going to have to swap them over. This requires me to take most of the rear mudguard off but that was easy enough. Get the stays to right length having searched for a 2.5mm Allan key and then realise that the fork needs a m4 screw not the m5 supplied so the front stays are staying off for now.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Repaired a crack in a front mudguard. I used, tiny 1 mm drill to stress relieve the crack. The double sided tape, a beer can & tiny 2mm pop rivets to fix it together.
Also , as noted in postman been the ad. Also done a rohloff oil change.
Also considered a pedal swap fatties to Time Atacs platforms...
Attachments
What I've been up too montage..
What I've been up too montage..
IMG_21022021_050548_(700_x_700_pixel).jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not my bike, but my daughter's. Bought a very beat up Kona Hula in the summer, and have been vaguely doing it up ever since. She's just had a growth spurt so is nearly ready for it which prompted me to pull my finger out and finish the build.

SLX 1*10 gears, 152mm cranks, short reach levers and (my favourite bit) a 36 hole rim laced to an ultegra 24 spoke rear hub. Just need to find a cheap set of RockShox Indy SL or XC forks to machine down for the front, as the suntour ones are a bit crappy...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

She's a lucky girl it looks good.
my daughter (age15) had basic rockshox on her bike . It had fitted 26" wheels. Those basic forks never moved, under her slight weight. They moved once when she hit a large stone, she thought she'd had broken the for bike. So the were practically rigid forks. I think she was, about 7st. The bike was speed for small women. Maybe a, air fork run soft Is possibly like a marzochhi. Food thought!
:-bd Machining threm down, I would know where to start. Chapeau to you! :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 pm She's a lucky girl it looks good.
my daughter (age15) had basic rockshox on her bike . It had fitted 26" wheels. Those basic forks never moved, under her slight weight. They moved once when she hit a large stone, she thought she'd had broken the for bike. So the were practically rigid forks. I think she was, about 7st. The bike was speed for small women. Maybe a, air fork run soft Is possibly like a marzochhi. Food thought!
:-bd Machining threm down, I would know where to start. Chapeau to you! :-bd
Thanks! Looking for RockShox Indy as it's fairly easy to deepen the dropouts by 20mm, thus putting the brakes in the right place for 24" wheels, and then take the springs/elastomers out of one leg. Either that or I could wind a very light spring to go in one leg...
As for knowing where to start, possibly helps that I'm an engineering teacher with access to a workshop or 2!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fixed the spoke in my carbon fat bike wheel that I first thought was a loose spoke, then that the nipple had pulled through the rim but actually turned out to be just a broken alu spoke nipple. I replaced the nipple and used one of the nipple washers that I'd bought (not really needed but I bought them assuming the rim was damaged and thought I may as well use one), anyway it's all fixed now. The only downside is that there's part of the broken nipple rattling around inside the rim (try as I might I couldn't get it out), it's not the end of the world though as the wheel is in use on a loaner bike so it'll not be driving me mad when it rattles! :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fell off it, bending myself and the alternator dropout. So glad I invested in an hanger alignment tool. Without the overload clutch the damage could have included the AXS mech, although expensive I’ve had two potential mech killing instances in 18mths which the clutch has saved.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stripped it (bar the BB which I might do later). Then worked hard to take what could be the last picture of Stan* without it being riddled with classic wallpaper.

Well it's not Stan without the other bits but it still looks rather lovely and gonna be sad to see it gone to the skips. 1 year of saving up for it and another year selecting parts and building it... Such a shame :sad:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

what's wrong with it?
redefined_cycles

benp1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am what's wrong with it?
Had a mech failure Ben (too much mud in jockeys so not the mechs fault). The jerk when the chain/mech broke seemed to have tugged at the bit where the red tape is and the carbon fractured like a christmas cracker)

I'm gonna put it down to being a Sundau frame (where the factory workers had a bit of CBA) but it could easily have been a Monday frame (hungover). Maybe the case is that it's a design failure and this might be the reason why it seems to be discontinued at AK. A 1200g carbon mtb frame was never gonna be as tough as you'd want though I suppose so :sad:

:smile: At least I can donate the parts to finish that pizza bike I suppose :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Is it repairable Shaf? There appear to be plenty of firms doing carbon repairs, and also DIY kits for sale
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Put a rack on it :shock:

Before you call the Bikepacking police I do have a good reason, I need some extra capacity for when my lad comes out with me, and possibly some ‘GlamPacking’ (TM Tim Pie).
Now according to Salsa the only rack which fits is their Alternator rack, costs a Ton and weighs a Tonne.
Now if you look at the spares available for the Salsa rack one item is a rack mount kit, £18 buy you some bolts and spacers which fit into the top Alternator dropout plate.
A quick google and I’ve acquired some suitable spacers for £6 and £24 got me a Tortec ultralight rack which weighs the same as my Porcelain Rocket seat pack. Solid, light and adaptable, could be a keeper. As a recovering Bigdummy owner hopefully I’ll not regress too far into my touring ways.
If you see me with a set of 30 ltr ortliebs on the back arrange an intervention.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Yesterday I put heat shrink a rounf some copy nokon cable outer, so the would chip of make a racket tining against the frame.

**warning Wallace & Grommet tech. solution **

Today I modified pop can for a home made seatpost shim in two. Rub the paint coating off it hopefully it will work.

Background:
It was, To make up for a slightly under size ThudBuster ST seat post (off fleabay) . It going relativitely cheap. I stated it was 27.2 and I had a USE shim for 30.9 - 27.2 - perfect. A few weeks later I discovered the seatpost was really 26.8. So. 0.2mm under DIa. or 0.4mm to make up. I think the seller made, a genuine mistake.
So the shim was 2 wraps from the ally can. (0.1mm walls) made up the gap. Unfortuately
Every bump made it slip A teeny tiny bit, so every so often. I noticed the difference whilst climbing , as my legs faded when the post had slipped down more than 25mm. It required frequent adjustment x( . I deducted the print & plastic lining were making the post slip, as was the double wrapped shim.
today I tried a different tack.
I) rub off the paint on outside and plastic coated inner. So it wasn't slick.
ii) cut the shim in to 2 pieces, align the gap on shims with notch in seat post, so it all nips up when seatpost is tightened.
This seems to have solved it. Time will tell, sovfor a test tomorrow...

Thin shims x2( silver) , USE thermo plastic, conical top (black,)
Attachments
Temporary seatpost shims, Pilsner can
Temporary seatpost shims, Pilsner can
IMG_25022021_235915_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Changed a front mech cable and adjusted the mech (or tried). First front mech work for several years I realise.
Also realised that I've been using a bottom pull mech as a top pull, which is why it's never been quite right.
Anyone have a spare band on, top pull, double XT/XTR front mech? Can swap for my (slightly scarred) XTR.
Also swapped the 40*26 rings for 38*24. It's a rigid HT used as a winter bike/bikepacking mule and I thought higher gearing would suit it (11*40 cassette). I've rethunk that. Anyone after some XT rings for a gravelmonsterw#nker build?
EDIT: all above is 10 speed
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not on my bike but its for bike packing so it counts (doesn't it?)

I sussed a way to fix my under quilt to my new hammock.
Just have to wait for Amozon to deliver me a £12 press stud fitting kit tomorrow (remind me why we still need the High Street) and more faffing will ensue tomorrow
redefined_cycles

PaulE wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm Is it repairable Shaf? There appear to be plenty of firms doing carbon repairs, and also DIY kits for sale
Yes... good point Paul. It has the 5 year warranty (and their strongest frame as per emails when I bought it) so will most likely get it sorted that route. If they say no then it'll just get smashed for market research purposes...

The crack is between the seat and chainstays (a funny bridge) and knowing that most reputable repair places dont repair stays (too much risk), I'm gonna confidently say they'll most certainly say this is a 'lost cause'. Lesson learnt (for thinking a 1200g carbon frame could be tought enough for mtb-ing)... :smile: