voodoo_simon

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by voodoo_simon »

2 pints :grin:

Got to love those Germans :-bd
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

New gear cable on the road bike. Took it out of the car, put wheels back on and change gear then ping, cable snapped. Luckily local halfords was open and managed to get out for a spin. Note to self carry spare cable on big trips.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Attempted to set up my front Nano tubeless again after holeing it on the way home from work this morning and having to put a tube in. I think the tyre's gubbed for tubeless use but it does seem to be holding pressure now after initially spraying me with Stan's but I'm not confident that it'll hold up in actual use. Gravelkings are ordered from LBS as a precaution anyway.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Missus has just told me "move that bike away" from the living roim. She's referring to Stan (no respect for bikes some people). So am gonna go put Stan in shed and bring out the steel bike (sorry, I meant Frieda)... :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Pedal - Paddle - only 2 letters are changed

Urban pack rafting in the heart of Liverpool's normally rammed tourist area of the Royal Albert Dock on my MRS Nomad this morning
https://youtu.be/Z4QrUkxCEO8
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fitted the new Panaracer Gravelking SKs supplied by LBS. I decided on the 43mm "Plus" version in the end as I figured that any small reduction in speed that the tougher and larger carcass entails would be offset (hopefully) by more puncture resistance.
Interestingly when I went to pay for the tyres LBS owner said they had a government grant (fixed sum) that was for providing servicing and maintenance parts for key workers who use their bike to ride to work and so I got a substantial discount which was an unexpected bonus. It may be worth asking at your LBS if you fall into that category and need something for your bike. I'm not sure if this is just a Scottish thing or UK wide.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Tried to fit my new Panaracer Gravelking SK TLC that arrived yesterday. They wont pop onto the bead with my track pump and I don't have any presta to shrader adapters to stick them on the compressor... 🤬

Edit: Even really soapy water didn't help. They currently have tubes in. It will not end well, if I go for anything other than a gentle pootle with the kids...
Last edited by Boab on Fri May 29, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

On the theme of g***** tyres, today on my ride I wrecked a vee tyre whatever the fu*k it was (well actually it self destructed), bodged it with every patch and other bit of tyre repair stuff I had with me, wobbled 40 miles home with 30 psi in it. Took it and the (so far) ok front one off, threw them over the back fence and fitted my Conti AT rides back on. With inner tubes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 pm With inner tubes.
Burn the heretic!!!

(I'm on your side Phil, "it's quicker and easier by tube". And a lot less messy :grin: )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fitted the bars

ImageDSC_1162 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Cables and hoses might be shortened at some point, just got to play around with position for a while.
Bish

Post by Bish »

Transformed it from a pile of boxes into this
First bike with any form of suspension for about 4 years, first ride will have to wait until tomorrow I've been out in the sun for too long getting angry at internal cable routing.
redefined_cycles

Bish wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:38 pm Transformed it from a pile of boxes into this
First bike with any form of suspension for about 4 years, first ride will have to wait until tomorrow I've been out in the sun for too long getting angry at internal cable routing.
You've just built an Orange from an OnOne. Well done. Looks rather gorgeous
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Flat bars fitted and old new grips fitted to the El Mariachi :-bd

Giving the bars an extra 40mm has transformed the ride of the bike, will need another set now for the fat bike :roll:
Attachments
099DEF79-18E7-4296-A54F-388DCEA273E0.jpeg
(98.95 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

Had another go at fitting my new Panaracer Gravelking SK TLC tyres, this time with a compressor. Then fitted my old Conti Terra Trails with a track pump and went for a ride with my daughter. Guess I need one of those tubeless inflater bottle thingies... 🤷‍♂️
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

K1100T wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:12 pm Had another go at fitting my new Panaracer Gravelking SK TLC tyres, this time with a compressor. Then fitted my old Conti Terra Trails with a track pump and went for a ride with my daughter. Guess I need one of those tubeless inflater bottle thingies... 🤷‍♂️
I managed my new Gravelking SKs with an Airshot (inflater bottle thing) the other day. Even with that it took a few blasts to seat the beads though (that was 43s on Hunt 4 Season Gravel rims).
Boab

Post by Boab »

Jurassic wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 pm I managed my new Gravelking SKs with an Airshot (inflater bottle thing) the other day. Even with that it took a few blasts to seat the beads though (that was 43s on Hunt 4 Season Gravel rims).
Started looking at bottles last night, as I don't fancy a DIY solution for something like this. So that's another unplanned £50 spend, that means something else will have to give... *sigh*
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

K1100T wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:01 am
Jurassic wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 pm I managed my new Gravelking SKs with an Airshot (inflater bottle thing) the other day. Even with that it took a few blasts to seat the beads though (that was 43s on Hunt 4 Season Gravel rims).
Started looking at bottles last night, as I don't fancy a DIY solution for something like this. So that's another unplanned £50 spend, that means something else will have to give... *sigh*
There's loads of info on YouTube about DIY fizzy drinks bottle inflaters, I kind of wish I'd gone down that route rather than buying the airshot tbh.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Jurassic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:18 am
There's loads of info on YouTube about DIY fizzy drinks bottle inflaters, I kind of wish I'd gone down that route rather than buying the airshot tbh.
Ive been using one for years.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Get yourself an old fire extinguisher, they have a car type valve, install a bit of rubber hose to push over the tyre valve, pump up to 80-100 psi and hit the squirty handle. Dirt cheap and very effective.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I use a garden sprayer. It’s done a few years’ service now and has never failed me (including 4.8 Jumbo Jims. Dead easy to set it up
redefined_cycles

Meant to be taking the thorn out of rear tyre then retubelessing it, swapping BB (its at 1100 miles, the funny shimano ones but no play, just feels gritty which is probably what I introduced when I last had the cranks off and squeezed some greased around the gaps that lead to the bearings), swapping out the headset for the shiny one the nice man from Spain sent on over... Really could do with a clean aswell. Oh well :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Broken it
Rear mech snapped and took the hanger with it

thankfully local so was able to find a middle gear that worked and grind [ as in sound not effort] home.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Lubed the chain with my fave Squirt lube, new disc brake pads fitted to both ends - going and stopping attended too!
@philg1971 Instagram
redefined_cycles

The tubeless stuff i mentioned last night. Well, just removed one of (theres about 3 more up back and at least one up front) bigger ones that were probably the cause of the v v slow leak over days.

Had about 30ml of Conti Revo sealant ready (,better than Stans IMO and doesn't seem to corrode everything), a tubeless valve core remover, a JoeBlow pump and lots of stupid confidence...

The thorn was 1.4cm long and 3 to 4mm thick at its thickest end with a continuous minimal thickness of about 2mm at least. No Samurai tubeless repair stuff at the ready and nor did i remove the tyre to pop a patch on the inside. Never guess what happened next...