What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by redefined_cycles »

Aha... thanks for the info. I used to have that issue (once on my cranks and once a mates... Hence I also bought my allen key set to enauee it contained an 8mm) years ago. Moved over to Shimano (and also started accumulating my own tools and trying to do my own work as well as a bit of building and repairs for others) and thankfully never had to experience that issue again...

Another thing I noticed (this was almost 10 years ago) was that when I started doing my own (OCD self as opposed to professional shop work) work, suddenly my bottom brackets also started lasting considerably longer. Maybe my shop mechanics theory of his torque-calibrated arm wasn't actually as good as my (borrowed from dad but never quite gone back) cheap Draper torque wrench :-bd

Anyway... hope you dont have to experience that 4 mile walk again :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fitted some Tannus Armour under the rear tyre. Hopefully this will reduce the number of rear wheel punctures. If it goes well, I might consider one for the front too.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Replaced the rear brake cable and outer on the fat bike. Had got a bit stiff so the lever wouldn't return and the cable-lever interface had taken a bit of a knock so the outer was damaged. Main problem was that the frame uses bolt on cable guides rather than cradles and zip-ties so it's a bit fiddly getting things back together.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not today but tuther day... noticed my old chain was just about (if I pushed in the measuring tool) hitting the 0.75 percent of wear. So swapped it out for my other used chain which hopefully will give me some more miles without affe ting the rings ans sprockets too adversely :-bd

Looking forward to tomorrows ride now :grin:
hanuman

Post by hanuman »

Gregsie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 pm Supernova rear light fitted to the Longitude today.

Came with a seatpost clamp which would be fine and dandy if I was not using a seatpack. Hidden by the back guard if placed at the bottom of the post.

Moved it to one of the seatstays and used an alternative shorter o'ring to fasten it on along with a couple of zip ties for good luck.

Also fitted a front Mudhugger. Had to drill a couple of extra holes so it fitted the rigid forks. A bit tight with 29 x 2.6"s on but we'll see how much it gets clagged up.

Also got a couple of Lomo dry bags - a lot cheaper off their site than on their eBay store.
Keen to see this. Trying to figure out where to put a rear light on my longitude. I've got a B&M Secula but its too big to go on the seatpost with a Koala as well. Ideally I want a smaller rear light but not enough to spend 60 quid on a son one.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

hanuman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm
Gregsie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 pm Supernova rear light fitted to the Longitude today.

Came with a seatpost clamp which would be fine and dandy if I was not using a seatpack. Hidden by the back guard if placed at the bottom of the post.

Moved it to one of the seatstays and used an alternative shorter o'ring to fasten it on along with a couple of zip ties for good luck.

Also fitted a front Mudhugger. Had to drill a couple of extra holes so it fitted the rigid forks. A bit tight with 29 x 2.6"s on but we'll see how much it gets clagged up.

Also got a couple of Lomo dry bags - a lot cheaper off their site than on their eBay store.
Keen to see this. Trying to figure out where to put a rear light on my longitude. I've got a B&M Secula but its too big to go on the seatpost with a Koala as well. Ideally I want a smaller rear light but not enough to spend 60 quid on a son one.
I'll take a photo in the morning of it and post it up. Done 300k with it attached and it's as solid as. FWIW the o'ring was from a Garmin Edge mount.
Powered by crumpets.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

if you are after a budget option a "Smart 7 LED Rear Light" comes with fittings for both seatpost and seatstay. Use it seatstay mounted on both the Longitude and the Sutra. Maybe not the best rear light in the world but does the job(for me) and iirc was under £10 when I bought it a few year ago. Claimed visible at 1 mile. Quick search seems to be discontinued now
This one looks similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Polaris- ... B002Q4TZEK
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Gregsie wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 am

I'll take a photo in the morning of it and post it up. Done 300k with it attached and it's as solid as. FWIW the o'ring was from a Garmin Edge mount.
Here you go. Image
Powered by crumpets.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looking at the above photo it looks like you could remove the bracket and bolt it straight to the rack mount? I have the son rack mount rear, it’s zip tied to my alternator dropout, due to the shape and holes in the dropout plate it fits perfectly, could do with being a little higher though.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
hanuman

Post by hanuman »

Using the rack mount looks like a great idea. There are so few seat stay mounted dynamo lights and the angles of the stays on the longitude put the light at an odd angle. I'll keep tinkering
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 am Looking at the above photo it looks like you could remove the bracket and bolt it straight to the rack mount? I have the son rack mount rear, it’s zip tied to my alternator dropout, due to the shape and holes in the dropout plate it fits perfectly, could do with being a little higher though.
Problem is the light bolt is a different thread to the rack mount. (Think it's M2 at a guess). Did think about getting a M4 bolt with an M2 thread inside it or making a bracket and tapping an M2 thread at one end and an M4 size hole at the other to provide a neater solution, but time and other things got in the way so it's on my to do list.