What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by The Cumbrian »

Changed the chainring from a 32 to a 28 (which necessitated removing a chain link), fitted some disgustingly green riser bars and fixed an inspirational BBB sticker to them (cheers Stu). I tried it all out on a spin up Latrigg in the snow yesterday, seemed to work well. It turns out that I can't pedal all the way up the bridleway from Keswick like I could 30 years ago though.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sprayed over the bare metal where it welded up in an entirely carefree manner.
It will enjoy a brief spell as a single speed before being converted to a pub / uni bike for my eldest
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 pm
Shewie wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:42 pm Bled my brakes this morning, first time doing it so watched about twenty youtube vids first, went okay in the end and my levers are much less squishy now.

Happy Days :-bd
Well done Shewie... dont forget that dot (i think you're ok if its mineral oil) fluid is corrosive. Both to hands and the steel parts it touches. Easy fix is to just pour some water over where it touches as it denatures it apparently... seems to work well
Thanks Shaf, I didn’t know if was nasty stuff.

Luckily for me it was Shimano mineral oil
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Got it (Earnie) ready for a few days cycling. Am hoping 2 ling sarnies will squish into that Acepac bag and it wont be too much a faff removing botttle for a swig. Bit tight in that frame triangle for some reason!
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I’ve been fitting new components to Lapierre , 11-50 t Sunrace , XT deraileur and shifter , I needed to put an extender to keep the jockey wheel off the cassette, I’m just having a bit of a mare fettling the indexing though , I’ll have another look at it tomorrow, also some Ritchey bar ends to go on ,
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Fitted the cheap specialized 2.6” tyres (purgatory & hillbilly) on my new wheels (pro4/xm481s) with new slx rotors and XT 46 cassette.

Then swapped the black Hope stem for an orange one and finally swapped out the vaults for some burgtec penthouse in silver.

I must say, it’s looking nice :lol:

ImagePimped up a little...

Need to get and test how 29er plus rides...
Give the dirt a little room.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Looks great fun that metalheart.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Lush. Nice one.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

It’ll be getting ‘tested’ in its new guise shortly this am (a bimble out Aviemore way with Scotroutes). :-bd

I’ve had tendinitis issues in my left foot so this will be my first just out for a ride in knocking on 6 months. I’m looking forward to it on several levels...

Really interested to see if 29+ makes any noticeable difference...
Give the dirt a little room.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I bought this Marin Eldridge grade for £30 and have stripped it, given it a thorough clean and got it going again. The rear shifter wasn’t working but was just gunged up, freewheel was stuck and all the cables needed renewing. Had to get the LBS to true rear wheel as the spoke threads were seized and they ended up renewing 2 of them. When I bought it, the previous owner had upgraded to XT v brakes with ‘travel agents’, which I sold for £30 and replaced with some new Tektro CR 720 cantis. Finally, fitted some new 2 inch Schwalbe land cruisers, some old guards and a seat from the parts box.

I did a 20 mile Christmas card run just before Christmas and it goes like a dream...the frame is very light (triple butted cromo with double butted stays. ) Overall cost including sale of the brakes, was £ 94.00, so dead chuffed with that. The tyres are great for the rough lanes around here and should be fine for forestry roads, towpaths and the like.
Attachments
97117843-2AA0-4942-A943-90F23771616C.jpeg
(174.97 KiB) Downloaded 1954 times
Last edited by hoppy58 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Put my old Look Keo pedals onto the gravel bike, so I could use the Lake CX 237 shoes I've had sitting in a cupboard for two years. Ask me after tomorrows ride if this was a good idea or not, as I'm pretty sure the pedals are pretty much worn out.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The wife is out all day so the bike came in from the cold into the kitchen for a few small jobs I’ve not managed to do since the summer. Fitted a frame bag, bell I got 18 months ago, a b-rad to lower the bottle cage and a long ass saver in lieu of proper mudguards. Not sure if the mudguard will stay since it’s not the best fit through the seat stays and over the seat stay bridge. It also blocks the rear light so might need to work out how to mount my light on the seat stay
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I made my son's Schrader valve wheels tubeless, and replaced his mechanical disc brakes with hydraulic. I had to change his gear levers too because his old brake and gear levers were integrated, but this had the happy coincidence that I was able to move the dropper post lever from the top of the bars (it wouldn't fit with the old levers) to the normal and much better position underneath. Unfortunately, while I was working on his bike I noticed that his suspension forks are really, really crap, so I'm trying to put that to the back of my mind.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd lent an old bike of mine out a couple of years ago and finally got it back last month.. Undecided what to do with it, I've since set it up as singlespeed (my first) and today was its maiden voyage.

Needs flat bars and rigid forks but will otherwise be handy for some local pootling and will take some 26" spike tyres for when it gets icy.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

New Boots

Had a pair of G-One Allround 700x38C sat around for a while to replace some BigApple II 29x2.35 that were sold with my previous bike. I was concerned that the G-One may be too narrow for my 30mm internal width rims so fitted them today out of curiosity.
They are huge. :-bd
At overnight pressure the Vernier is giving just over 63 mm or 2.4 inches in old money. My knobbly tyre set up is 2.4 front and 2.2 rear so now I am concerned that the rear won’t fit in the frame and as the frame hasn’t arrived I can’t tell. :roll:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fiddled with my GRX dual control lever for a bit, then took the bike to a LBS. Should find out in a few days if it's fixed or 🤬... Can probably kiss good buy to the winter jacket I was going to buy, as I imagine this might get expensive.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

K1100T wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:38 pm Fiddled with my GRX dual control lever for a bit, then took the bike to a LBS. Should find out in a few days if it's fixed or 🤬... Can probably kiss good buy to the winter jacket I was going to buy, as I imagine this might get expensive.
If it's not impact damage, get em to warranty it. Shimano are great for warranty.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Eventually found and fitted, after trying several different stems, a high rise medium reach stem that copes with my combination of neck/lower back problems/Jones loops/sus forks so the tyre doesn't hit the bar bag under compression and I don't suffer pain over long distance. Taken a while but got there in the end, :-bd . Oh, it looks ok too.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Big list of jobs completed on the Fargo this weekend :-bd

First job was fit the Curve Walmer bars, at 55cm on the drops they are considerably wider than the woodchipers they have replaced,
While it was off i took the opportunity to fit some SON coax connectors to my sinewave beacon light/charger, I've fitted them to both the dynamo input and rear light output, the unit can now be removed from the bars in seconds leaving the wiring in place, should make dropping the bars off for flying much less likely to damage anything.

Next job was to fit the Sram red AXS brakes, id previously fitted some Hope RX4 callipers after ongoing issues with the Force brakes fitted as standard and didn't expect the red callipers to be any better on a MTB. The rear was a simple job, chopped the red brake off, fitted the hope olive and nut, job done :-bd The front needed a longer hose due to the wider bars and suspension fork. With the Force levers the hose terminates inside the reservoir necessitating a messy strip down, also ypou have to use Sram's premade hoses as aftermarket ones are not slim enough to fit beneath the cover. I found this out just before the WRT and had to bodge a fix, thankfully the red brakes have a little fly hose under the hood cover where you can connect a new hose to, much easier job :-bd Next fit the Blips for shifting on the tops.. and for possibly the first time i made a decent job of wrapping the bars, finally sussed out the figure of eight wrap around the shifters!

Brakes bled nice and easy, next job was to fit the AXS derailleur, utterly simple job. bolt on, pair up then just set the limits..
refit all the luggage and ready for the winter event :-bd The works not over however as i discovered the bearings are shot in the rear hub, I don't think ill have the time to replace them before next weekend but hopefully they will survive..
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Drilled the spearfish frame to move the bottle cafe and to fit a second one, annoyingly I've run out of M5 rivnuts so can't finish that job yet.

Put the new wheels on the gravel bike which meant swapping the tyres, discs and cassette over. Getting the tyres to go up (tubeless) was hard work. As the new rims are wtb and so are the tyres I'd hoped they go up easy, they were easier to fit on the old rims which were stans.

I also sorted the rear brake on the Selma, a sticking piston was causing it to bind. Cleaned and lubricated and now works fine. Chickenlegs unfortunately had to listen to it dragging for over 200 miles on the winter bivi :oops:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 pm Drilled the spearfish frame to move the bottle cafe and to fit a second one, annoyingly I've run out of M5 rivnuts so can't finish that job yet.
Curiously I did a very similar job this morning - drilling and fitting three rivnuts to the downtube of the Puffin. Thinking ahead I'd bought myself a step drill bit. Annoyingly I didn't take my glasses to the store and bought the "2, 4, 6, 8, never too late" rather than the "3, 5, 7, 9, little white line" version* so most of the time was spent with a small file widening the 6mm hole to 6.8mm :roll:

Yesterday's mud and grime finally put paid to the front pads on the Puffin so while it was in dry dock I replaced those as well.

*readers of a certain age will get the reference.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 am Curiously I did a very similar job this morning - drilling and fitting three rivnuts to the downtube of the Puffin. Thinking ahead I'd bought myself a step drill bit. Annoyingly I didn't take my glasses to the store and bought the "2, 4, 6, 8, never too late" rather than the "3, 5, 7, 9, little white line" version* so most of the time was spent with a small file widening the 6mm hole to 6.8mm :roll:

Yesterday's mud and grime finally put paid to the front pads on the Puffin so while it was in dry dock I replaced those as well.

*readers of a certain age will get the reference.
2,4,6,8 motorway shudder
Our school bus driver played a tape with this song every school day for 5 years.......
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Supernova rear light fitted to the Longitude today.

Came with a seatpost clamp which would be fine and dandy if I was not using a seatpack. Hidden by the back guard if placed at the bottom of the post.

Moved it to one of the seatstays and used an alternative shorter o'ring to fasten it on along with a couple of zip ties for good luck.

Also fitted a front Mudhugger. Had to drill a couple of extra holes so it fitted the rigid forks. A bit tight with 29 x 2.6"s on but we'll see how much it gets clagged up.

Also got a couple of Lomo dry bags - a lot cheaper off their site than on their eBay store.