What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by boxelder »

Still riding Arch EX here from 2014 - big lad with added weight of gear. Built by Hope mind you......
I've replaced the Di2 battery on the hipster hybrid and re-jigged the e-wiring, then removed, cleaned and regreased the GXP BB.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Started disassembly of my Camino Al in anticipation of it's successor arriving............the door bell's just rung! Over to the postman thread! :cool:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Came looking for this thread and got sidetracked.

Anyway, I've not done it yet but watch this space as I'm (road/commuter) bikeless and need to finish the build. Plan on finiahing off the steely today in and amongst of learning some Quran and reading some Covid and ARDS( acute resp distress syndrome) stuff...

Watch this space and hope to have a fully functioning bike by this aft/eve :???:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 am Came looking for this thread and got sidetracked.

Anyway, I've not done it yet but watch this space as I'm (road/commuter) bikeless and need to finish the build. Plan on finiahing off the steely today in and amongst of learning some Quran and reading some Covid and ARDS( acute resp distress syndrome) stuff...

Watch this space and hope to have a fully functioning bike by this aft/eve :???:
I hope you have better luck than me, my build has stalled due to me having been sent the wrong end caps for my wheels (to swap from Q/R to bolt through). It's now on hold pending the arrival of the correct parts from Hunt. Hopefully I'll make some progress this coming week though.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:25 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 am Came looking for this thread and got sidetracked.

I hope you have better luck than me, my build has stalled due to me having been sent the wrong end caps for my wheels (to swap from Q/R to bolt through). It's now on hold pending the arrival of the correct parts from Hunt. Hopefully I'll make some progress this coming week though.
Sorry sir... That's properly frustrating that is. I think I've got all the right bits (been accumulating for at least 6 months :-bd )
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Sorry sir... That's properly frustrating that is. I think I've got all the right bits (been accumulating for at least 6 months :-bd )
Yeah it's a bit annoying as I thought I'd got all the bits ready to go but it just makes the anticipation of riding the new bike even keener. Soon! :grin:
redefined_cycles

:lol: I'm definitely gonna ensure I ride that bike today (or tomorrow)... traning date updates have also got in the way (manual handling!!)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fitted the Strapdeck that came this morning. (slightly out of focus shot)

While getting that bike out I had to move Cath's and noticed that her cranks didn't spin freely so onto the bike stand with that and it turns out that the bearing on the NDS had completely seized :roll: Of course it had to be a Shimano XT so needed an adapter to work with my BB tool except that I'd only got the XTR adapter (yes they have to be different don't they!). Then I thought that since the whole BB is only £16 and was fubarred there was no point in trying to save it so just used a set of adjustable grips to get it off. Given how much force I needed to remove it I don't think the adapter would have stood up to the strain.

Of course everyone is out of stock of the cheap end BBs so she's gone for a Hope BB. Since we've five other bikes with Hope BBs and I've the relevant tools that will make things much easier going forward.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm :lol: I'm definitely gonna ensure I ride that bike today (or tomorrow)... traning date updates have also got in the way (manual handling!!)
Never happened. Brake cable not enough and the inner cabling got in the way... as well as the missus' new shiny BBQ which I needed to build up (took 2 hours almost but at least its done right!)...

Oh well maybe tomorrow now...
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

been struggling with the riding position on my 2018 salsa fargo,so fitted a pair of surly truckstop bars and a 90mm stem,the bars have a 30mm rise to them making more upright riding position.
the salsa forks come as 260mm standard steerer tube length what ever frame size you get which is a bit naff.

didnt want to just fit black standard bar tape so got some black to pink fade and it looks vaguely exciting :mrgreen:

treated myself to a revelate prognhorn bar system only weighs 200grams with the cuben fibre dry bag
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve fitted a quad lock mount for the GPS
Feel like the bars are nearly completed

Edit : The bars also got some extra wrap to help with extra hand positions :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I finally got this finished today and had a quick ride on it. It's very similar to the alu Camino that it's replacing (which is a good thing because I love the alu one) but with some subtle changes in feel and obviously the ride quality is different with the change in frame material. It also has a few minor changes in form as well (bolt through axles, anything cage mounts on the fork, longer fork with more clearance front and rear).
I took a picture of it before I fitted the mudguards cos bikes always look better without imho.
ImageIMG_20200501_140817016 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
But there's no escaping the practical benefits of mudguards.
ImageIMG_20200501_181143235 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

That's very nice.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Not much to write about but finally fitted bells to my two bikes. The’re so many people walking on the roads an trails it makes sense.

I’ll be happily ringing my ding a lings, feel good Friday?

Cheers Rob
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've finally got the Jones bars finished on my hybrid. The micro shift levers arrived today and I've wrapped the top of the bars around the TOGs.
I had time to do the same on my mountain bike with the Jones bars that arrived this afternoon from Fatpacker (thanks for the quick postage dude), and I'm now just really looking forward to getting some use out of them.
Bilbo Baggins.
The Cumbrian

Repeat post...

Post by The Cumbrian »

Bilbo Baggins.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Finally got round to fitting the rear mudguard on my commuter only two years after I fitted the front. Now I remember why I wasn’t in a hurry to fit it.

While I was there I gave the drive train a clean up and thought about removing the cassette. That’s when I realised that it’s actually a freewheel which makes the idle thoughts I’d been having about upgrading the bike somewhat dead in the water.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:46 pm I finally got this finished today and had a quick ride on it. It's very similar to the alu Camino that it's replacing (which is a good thing because I love the alu one) but with some subtle changes in feel and obviously the ride quality is different with the change in frame material. It also has a few minor changes in form as well (bolt through axles, anything cage mounts on the fork, longer fork with more clearance front and rear).
I took a picture of it before I fitted the mudguards cos bikes always look better without imho.
ImageIMG_20200501_140817016 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
But there's no escaping the practical benefits of mudguards.
ImageIMG_20200501_181143235 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Very pretty :-bd
redefined_cycles

Hardest thing for me when comes to building the bikes is the inernal routing. Not actually running the cable through but ensuring I've not increased friction. Pic above shows my little bodge of what IMO would keep the fiction down and after running i5 through to the end and shifting with other end of cable in hand... I'm happy to report that my plan seems to be working. Tomorrow eve I might get chance to run the 3 other cables (1 shifter and 2 brakes) through the frame and handlebars and the rest is hopefully history (just bit of tuning hopefully and I have a commuting bike back :-bd )

Oh... and I asked the little one to pop some naol varnish on the shift lever where some paint seems chipped and it might be carbon beneath... Also asked her kindly to edit out the D... So now my Legend bike had become a LEGEN :grin:

[Edit: Fatto O Mano Da Bertoletti = hand built by Bertoletti]
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Took the chubster down from off the garage wall as it hasn't been used since the Autumn. Pumped up the tyres and forks, lubed the chain and went for a ride.

DSC_1108 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

Happy to report it's all working well (even if I'm not).

Funny thing though, it's always had the Loop bars, as did my previous fatbike. Now I've got used to standard bars again (including on my current fatbike) they just felt a bit odd and uncomfortable. Think I'll find myself some nice flats to fit on it.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fitted a sophisticated motivational device to the top tube of my new bike (just in case I ever forget).
ImageIMG_20200503_204848022 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A while back I bought a half price but new Genesis longitude though it was a three year old model, the one with the aluminium fork. Anyway Stu had done a review on this model and mentioned the low BB height which resulted in pedal strike which I can confirm is true. Anyway, today I fitted a 165mm triple crankset from another bike replacing the 170 double setup. Only 5mm shorter but better than nothing. Test ride tomorrow.
Moff

Post by Moff »

It seems the last time rode my singlespeed was back in Jan, when the Reba’s collapsed on my last bivi.
In the meantime some rigid forks and a front wheel turned up, so had a sunny afternoon in the garden swapping stuff over.

Off - Reba’s, SQ Lab 311 bars, 90x10deg stem, Stan’s Flow & Nobby Nic
On - Enve rigid’s (fancy!!), Geoff bars, 100x0deg stem, Stan’s Hugo & a Cronicle

Issues - rear brake hose too short (new on ordered), steerer too long (not trimming it yet!), bars might take some getting used to....is the stem too long??

Rediscovered an old stem cap, so popped that on too - not quite sure where the camera focused?!

jay91

Post by jay91 »

Nice salsa. There's one currently on eBay that I'm not looking at :roll:

Change my Sus fork to the bontrager ridged on the inbred as Sus is on its last legs
Trying to ride bikes.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 pm bars might take some getting used to....is the stem too long??
It took me a few rides to get used to my Jones. The first time I tried them I thought I'd wasted a large sum of money on new bars which had made the bike unrideable, but I stuck with them and now I wouldn't use anything else. I'd say it was at least 10 hours of riding before they 'clicked' and became the new norm for me.

As for stem length, I took my 70mm stem off and put a 100mm one on at first, but after a couple of rides I swapped that back to the 70mm one. I thought I would need a longer stem to keep my hands in the same sort of location as with my previous bars but realised the point is that they're not in the same position, if that makes sense? But yours is a smaller change in length so I'd say just keep riding and see how you get on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger