What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by ledburner »

I bought a Pedros Chain pig (recommend it :-bd ) , so I cleaned my road bike. Cleaned/degrease / lubed chain.
[It has been oiled & wiped down. The original grease was stiffening up. It only be used for good weather and it is probably the 2 proper clean in 5 years!] :o The rear derailleur pulleys were also replaced. Now it runs sweet :-bd . The degreaser was bought in the 90's!
:o
I also rebuilt the rohloff chain tensioner on my cube 29er9. It is a very early edition tensioner, from early 1999 so the bottom pulley had a 4mm bore not the usual 6.35mm bore. Rohloff own spec, those pulleys are obsolete :| , I had to use modern 10T bearing pulley, (getting less available :roll: ) . Since I couldn't source a suitable spacer make a spacer for the bearing to sit on. 6.35mm Dia, x 9mm, 4m bore :oops: :oops: . The chain was also cleaned and lubed.

An Interesting day. Faff, fiddle & fun... Hmm.
I'm running out of excuse not to get up those hills!
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

Fixed the latest in my current series of punctures, thanks to hedge cutting, and fitted some nobbly tyres.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Made another hole. This time into the posh (second owner me so wasn't as posh by the time it arrived) steel frame.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Finally got round to attaching the seat stay light and recharged all my other lights only to discover that the only front light have that's working is my Joystick - both the FWE 500 and my old candbeseen are dead as a dodo even after an overnight charge, joy.
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:33 am
Can't wait... We have 73 chevrons to get through. Tel me when. Bring your baggies :grin:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Fitted a new 11 speed chain to my fat bike after throwing the previous (nearly new) one and bending it on a ride yesterday. :cry:
Dean

Post by Dean »

I transplanted some SKS mudguards from one gravel bike to a new version of the same bike (outside in the rain), which as everyone who has put SKS mudguards onto a bike knows took two hours and eliminated any motivation to ride the thing.
ton

Post by ton »

stripped it down. placed it in several boxes, and sent it out via various couriers to various location throughout the UK.

hope everyone is well pleased with their purchase.................. :-bd
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm stripped it down. placed it in several boxes, and sent it out via various couriers to various location throughout the UK.

hope everyone is well pleased with their purchase.................. :-bd
When you gonna spill the beans as to what's coming as the replacement. Proper interested but didnt wanna prod it out of you when I came and picked that 'funny' saddle. Thanks again Tony...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Broke it. :sad:
Again. :((

Sticking free hub, worn rear bearings and an odd tendency for the rear cable disc brake to lock on fully (despite a change of cable, outer, caliper and pads).

And it's always the MTB that fails: the "skip bike" just seems to plod on like the Top Gear Toyota Hilux :roll: .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:23 pm Broke it. :sad:
Again. :((

Sticking free hub, worn rear bearings and an odd tendency for the rear cable disc brake to lock on fully (despite a change of cable, outer, caliper and pads).

And it's always the MTB that fails: the "skip bike" just seems to plod on like the Top Gear Toyota Hilux :roll: .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Regards the cables Pete... Have you checked the oritentation and grade of bend of the cable from the levers to the calipers. I recall some BB7 I had on my brothers bike, used to always chew up the ferrule/end of outer at the lever end. You have too much pulling power :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Shaf - thanks, but nope. The moving pad moves back and forward easily: it's as if the disc is sticking to the static pad. It's happened with 2 pairs of pads and after a caliper renewal, too. Something to do with the pad-disc interface, perhaps :ugeek:.
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:03 pm Shaf - thanks, but nope. The moving pad moves back and forward easily: it's as if the disc is sticking to the static pad. It's happened with 2 pairs of pads and after a caliper renewal, too. Something to do with the pad-disc interface, perhaps :ugeek:.
Interesting. What brakes? I'll remember to stay away :smile: Hope you get summat sorted...
slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:52 pm
Can't wait... We have 73 chevrons to get through. Tel me when. Bring your baggies :grin:
You might want to fit a saddle unless you're planning some standing only climbs........
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Finally got time to fit the sks velo mudguards to my Arkose. That was an interesting experience, lots of frustration trying to squeeze metal nuts into plastic fittings until I discovered that a 10 mm Alan key makes a good press.
They’re made from a really stiff plastic so they’d probably be ok without the optional stay kit but fitted it anyway. The rear went on ok though due to the stiffness there’s a bigger gap between the tyre and get mudguard in places than I’d like. The front went really smoothly until I discovered that the longest supplied fork bolt wasn’t long enough to get all the way through the fork so I need find a longer one from somewhere.
Dean

Post by Dean »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:27 pm Finally got time to fit the sks velo mudguards to my Arkose. That was an interesting experience, lots of frustration trying to squeeze metal nuts into plastic fittings until I discovered that a 10 mm Alan key makes a good press.
They’re made from a really stiff plastic so they’d probably be ok without the optional stay kit but fitted it anyway. The rear went on ok though due to the stiffness there’s a bigger gap between the tyre and get mudguard in places than I’d like. The front went really smoothly until I discovered that the longest supplied fork bolt wasn’t long enough to get all the way through the fork so I need find a longer one from somewhere.
I have cut several tiny slits in the sides with a dremel and fitted a spacer to the seatstay bridge to let the mudguard sit nearer to the tyre, I have not found that the slits allow any spray to get me dirty or have weakened the structure overall (I am using the stay kit).
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:52 pm
You might want to fit a saddle unless you're planning some standing only climbs........
Saddle sorted Steven :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Put the gears back on the fat bike.

I'd used a normal cog (rather than a specific wide footed SS cog) at the back and it had really dug into the freehub splines, an Industry Nine hub, far more so than the supposedly "soft" Hope freehubs. Maybe I'm just AWZUM :lol:

With it all stripped down I noticed play in the bottom bracket :sad: so will need a new one of those. It was only a cheap Deore and has been on the bike for four years so not bad for £11.

Then a quick ride in the snow to check the indexing was OK :-bd We've something like 6-8cm here, it's all a bit wet but it's meant to freeze overnight so I'll get out in the morning for a ride.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Fixed all my punctures :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 pm Fixed all my punctures :-bd
Pssst,
Well done but don't mention that word.
:-bd :o :))
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Finished something I started last March.

I had to take a hacksaw and file to a set of XTR cranks so that I could fit a Trickstuff Exzentriker BB. As a result, I've been able to remove the chain tensioner I'd fitted and the bike looks much "cleaner" now.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:09 pm Finished something I started last March.

I had to take a hacksaw and file to a set of XTR cranks so that I could fit a Trickstuff Exzentriker BB. As a result, I've been able to remove the chain tensioner I'd fitted and the bike looks much "cleaner" now.
Are these for threaded or press fit bb bearings?
I suppose they effect the chain line?

Edit: I've just seen the price 'Oooh, Missus! That'll use all mi' coupons! '
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ledburner wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:21 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:09 pm Finished something I started last March.

I got it secondhand for much cheapness last year.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Put a venturemax XL bar on it... Wrapped it in outrageously expensive 40mmx5mm thick tape.
Swapped a 0 degree stem for a 6 degree.

I'm sure it will feel super duper.

Might bleed the brakes before I ride it though, as they're don't work currently :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:53 am
ledburner wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:21 am

I got it secondhand for much cheapness last year.
Lucky is you!