What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by lune ranger »

I’d love to but I don’t have any third party picture hosting. Posting photos here is off puttingly complicated.
Certainly a very purposeful machine.
Can’t wait to ride it properly.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I use an android app called image resize. The I post a picture res 600x 800, as an attachment. I'm sure there are similar apps for other platforms.
Enjoy the upgraded bike.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm Fargo finito.
Finished cabling the Rohloff.
Dynamo lightning/charging wires installed.
Redshift drop grips attached. Remaining bars taped.
Saddle and bar positions tweeted.
Good to go.
How are you liking the drop grips? I’ve fitted a set of top and drops to my curve walmer bars and so far I’m liking them a lot, very comfortable and locked in.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:34 am
lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm Fargo finito.
Finished cabling the Rohloff.
Dynamo lightning/charging wires installed.
Redshift drop grips attached. Remaining bars taped.
Saddle and bar positions tweeted.
Good to go.
How are you liking the drop grips? I’ve fitted a set of top and drops to my curve walmer bars and so far I’m liking them a lot, very comfortable and locked in.
Initial impression is good but no real testing yet. I’m kicking myself a little for not adding some extra padding above the bottom grips up to where the brake levers are. This is usually my primary hand position when the going gets rough and it feels a little thin here (I’m used to adding a lot of gel under my bar tape).
Our Fargo’s should meet one day, they sound a bit like twins separated at birth - mine also sports suspension forks and seat post (sometimes) like yours.
I’ll add some pictures tomorrow now I think I’ve worked it out.
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

During a faffery stage, found a cracked caliper.

Getting bored of Shimano brake failures.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Popped the PannierCC patch on with some ShoeGoo :o

Then took some pics of the inside of the Ortlieb (may it have a long life ahead of it and many more advntures/commutes) as well as a pic of the inner of the Revelate Spinelock. Hardware looks similar but some extra supports inside the Revelate.

Then weighed both with the same filling/gear. The Revelate coming out 205g extra but the space is alot more uable for my gear so hopefully it'll balance itself out.

Happy with that, got a new saddlepack and the Ortlieb gone to a happy packer :grin:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

6 months since my last wild camp, I set my bike up with my latest kit on it to see how it all went together and to see how much space I had left.

I even took it out for a spin too
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 am New (rebuilt) bike day :grin:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Wiw1zT ... 6MH41WHomQ
(Lune Ranger)
Boab

Post by Boab »

Took the rear derailleur hanger off so I could take some photos in a effort to track down a new one. Decided to whip off the old cassette and put the one I've had since last June one; one less job to do when the new derailleur turns up.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 am New (rebuilt) bike day :grin:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Wiw1zT ... 6MH41WHomQ
These Salsa forks... are they worth it and well dampening or just as trashy (and spine/wrist busting) as Surly steel equivalents. Please... thanks :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have three sets of forks I use on the Fargo. These carbon ones, some ‘trashy (and spine/wrist busting) Surly steel’ ones, and some X-Fusion Slide RL suspension forks.

The carbon ones aren’t Salsa despite the decals :o but came from Italian shop Ridewill.
They are ok. They are light and stiff and fit a 3” tyre if needed. They have Salsa decals because the guy I bought the Fargo from had peeled all the decals for whatever reason. I got a decal set for the frame and had some spares.
My favourite forks are the Surly steel (Krampus forks) which, contrary to your view, I find comfortable and forgiving over even pretty rough ground.
The suspension goes on when I’m doing long ‘proper’ MTB rides - I used them on the Braunton 150 for example.
The steel forks went back on the day after that photo - I much prefer mounting my Revo at the fork crown to having it on the bars and I cannot do that with the carbon.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/09lXhi6 ... nH478d5Lxg
WSC
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:23 pm Broke it. :sad:
Again. :((

Sticking free hub, worn rear bearings and an odd tendency for the rear cable disc brake to lock on fully (despite a change of cable, outer, caliper and pads).

And it's always the MTB that fails: the "skip bike" just seems to plod on like the Top Gear Toyota Hilux :roll: .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Fixed it :grin: .
Again :roll: .

Rear wheel rebuilt by local shop, using the old Halo Combat rim, allows use of a surprisingly-spacehoppery 2.2 tyre :shock: . Very comfy :-) .
Brakes work, too.
Wonder how long it will last... :???: .

Now to uncannibalise the skip bike :roll: .
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:25 pm I have three sets of forks I use on the Fargo. These carbon ones, some ‘trashy (and spine/wrist busting) Surly steel’ ones, and some X-Fusion Slide RL suspension forks.

The carbon ones aren’t Salsa despite the decals :o but came from Italian shop Ridewill.
They are ok. They are light and stiff and fit a 3” tyre if needed. They have Salsa decals because the guy I bought the Fargo from had peeled all the decals for whatever reason. I got a decal set for the frame and had some spares.
My favourite forks are the Surly steel (Krampus forks) which, contrary to your view, I find comfortable and forgiving over even pretty rough ground.
The suspension goes on when I’m doing long ‘proper’ MTB rides - I used them on the Braunton 150 for example.
The steel forks went back on the day after that photo - I much prefer mounting my Revo at the fork crown to having it on the bars and I cannot do that with the carbon.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/09lXhi6 ... nH478d5Lxg
Which Surly then please Luke. I will soon be saving up for some forks you see and need summat comfy but cost effective to go on the the SC. The surly forks I had were the 1x. It was a long time ago and maybe the tires were too solid!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Krampus. They are the same dimensions as the steel Firestarter forks supplied with the Fargo. They are also good. I have them on my Krampus (long story!)

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/surly-kram ... 3708-p.asp

They also do a steel boost bolt through version now.

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/surly-kram ... 3336-p.asp

They have a particularly long a-c measurement so may not suit all bikes.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:13 pm Krampus. They are the same dimensions as the steel Firestarter forks supplied with the Fargo. They are also good. I have them on my Krampus (long story!)

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/surly-kram ... 3708-p.asp

They also do a steel boost bolt through version now.

https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/surly-kram ... 3336-p.asp

They have a particularly long a-c measurement so may not suit all bikes.
Thanks for that Luke... Might have to invest and give Surly a try once more in the near future...
redefined_cycles

Today I popped a new tyre on a Dura Ace wheel I managed to secure at the start of lockdown. It had sat in a mates storage for almost a year before he mentioned it and the other 2 front wheels that I sevured with it. Must've been super cheap and twas a surprise pleasantly, when he told me of em.

Anyway, popped the tyre on aftwr sadning the rim channel and taping for tubeless. Got tyre pumped up and looked at my handy work after giving the freehub outer a clean in prep for regreasing the bearings and cleaning the (closed, non serviceable) freehub. One of the fronts I've already seen had/has a ding so already explained the cheapness of that. Just now after the deep clean and inspecting my handy work I notice this beggar...

It's had a right good old fight with a cassette at some point in life. Thankfully I have some of these spkes spare but the problem is that I've already taped up the rim channel and don't fancy undoing it. I wouldn't say it's clever to be riding it for any decent distances...

So next stage at some point I shall try to loosen the spokes and grip em to ensure they don't get lost in rim channel. Then carefully pop some new spokes in and brig it back to tension. Not looking forward to it :o
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Built a new set of wheels for the Occam. Wider rims (27mm internal) and XT hubs. I've taped them up but not fitted the tyres yet. I'm riding it when out with Metalheart today and didn't want any issues holding him up. Test rides are solo rides.

The old DT Swiss wheels will be up for grabs in due course.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Fitted summer tyres.
Took off the rear Mudhugger.
Have we had St Swithen's day yet?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fitted one of those cheap 2.6” Mezcals to the front of my Fargo, nice tyres :-bd still roll really well with the near continuous centre blocks but have chunkier and wider spaced knobs so hopefully a bit more grip. Wish I’d got one for the rear as well as I think we have a winner.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I fitted one of those 2.6 Mezcal tyres on a Halo rim/hub on my Longitude. The tyre was ok but I prefer the Teravail Cumberland; so I put that back on. I will have a think, but if I don’t want the Mezcal I will stick it on here for sale as I know some people like them.

The Halo wheel is a nice job and am pleased with it. I will have to get used to the noisy freehub though as I am used to the quiet Shimano ones I have on all my bikes apart from the Rohloff.

Considering I bought it on impulse on eBay, I am enjoying the mk1 Longitude. I thought of it as a poor man’s Krampus, but it is a great bike in it’s own right. I think the qr rear is only a disadvantage compared to boost if you want to run 3” rear tyres and you run into chin rub/line issues. Dropping to 2.6 on the back solves that and you don’t lose that much to a 3”.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Landslide wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:11 pm Fitted summer tyres.
Took off the rear Mudhugger.
Have we had St Swithen's day yet?
Went out in the snow today.
:roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

New chain fitted. Not sure how but my chain lost all tension on one ride and failed miserably. Never seen a chain sag so much. SS setup, was tensioned fine at the start of the ride but was drooping lots by the end :shock:

Somewhere under the dirt, there’s a bike waiting to escape :lol:
Attachments
7221076B-1BC9-431F-9DA9-40CDD33B27CE.jpeg
7221076B-1BC9-431F-9DA9-40CDD33B27CE.jpeg (290.03 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Being pretty much clueless at bike maintenance and repairs started having a go.

1) Went tubeless - impossible to begin with due to my old pump not being up to the job - FAILED! Tried again with a new pump - SUCCESS!

2) Attempted to use chain tool to work out how to break a link and the bugger wouldn't budge...at all! FAILED. Tried again later and still FAILED. Gave up.

3) Fixed what looked like a buckled wheel rim...ok the LBS kinda fixed it and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Nevermind that, I'm claiming it - SUCCESS.

4) Thought the tyre was damaged as above. It wasn't. SUCCESS.

5) Learned how to remove valve core - SUCCESS.

6) A few days ago, thought I had brake rub and spent ages trying to re-set it. FAILED. Was going to try again today but after removing the wheel while going tubeless, by the time the wheel was re-attached it had gone - SUCCESS. When at the LBS it became clear it wasn't the brakes after all anyway.

So, 4 FAILS today but 5 SUCCESSES, so all-in-all a great day, I'm sure you agree. :smile:
redefined_cycles

The bike named Butcher has needed finishing for a while now and not had a proper mtb ride since Stan (the Sonder RIP) fell apart on me. So, considering that Luke (Lune Ranger) wouldn't be impressed me turning up with a road bike on gravel wheels, I needed to make an effort to finish Butcher off.

First up, the Wildcat I've lovingly been using for the past year or so was clashing with the front mech cable-stop/tab (thingy). So out came the saw and off it came. Needed to be careful to not cut into the frame as I'd not wanna void any warranty.

A fine job if I do say so myself. Obviously I've sanded it down and it'll be covered over with my frame bag, in case anyone (previously) from Pinnacle is watching.

Next came the gearing and this is just a pic of me exploring the rear mech and the excess mechanical slack. Got it super cheap cos of that off the fleabay. Sized the chain up, got the cable inner and outer going and Maqbools your fathers brother.

Though I knew what colour outer I was having - green obviously as a tribute to my Stan (RIP) - the decision for the inner wasn't so straightforward. So I asked my mates who cunningly told me 'the coated one', not realising that they're both coated and the foreground one is actually the special/posh 'optislick' version.

Framebag back on... Wahoo (thanks to a nice BBer) bracket mount on bars. Needed it taking for a ride but a pic would have to do for now.

Pretty sure there's not enough carrying capacity for a 2night Dartmoor outing. So to preserve the space and ensure my water isn't taking up real estate, I feel a Kleen Kanteen bottle might be in order for the under down tube. Pairer with a lightweight rucksack I might just get away with it.

Test ride in the morning hopefully post work :smile: Can't wait, hope it doesn't dislodge a chainstay at the first look of uphill Mirfield cobbles :grin: