What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by redefined_cycles »

Oh... the excess slack in the rear mech didn't seem to affect tuning at all and seems to shift lovely...

Next up, I think I need to find a local grafiti artist to help Sharpie some colour on there with the name...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm ... needed finishing off.... So out came the saw and off it came...

:grin:
you sound like the Krays... :shock: :lol:

4 grams lighter, i'll never keep up..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Now then... Just got back from work. Bought the missus flowers but they only lasted for about 1 hour (actually less) before I'm in the doghouse for not completing the loft already :o

But before I ended up in that house, I managed to get a few more bits done Alhamdulillah...

Removed the long bolts on top of the stem which held an outfront mount. Now I have 2 ti bolts underneath that might be weak but at least won't look rusty in time. The top ones are steel but time will tell if it's stainless (I suppose I could get out a magnet and not need to wait in suspense).

Then before getting to work on water carrying abilities, I noted this little chain smack/slap groove seems to be a bit deeper than anticipated :o Oh well, it'll keep me on the edge :grin: and also adds character, right!

Then the bolts under downtube came out and a sidelaoding specialized cage went in. Not looking forward to mud splatted on the water bottle spout so might need to put some thought in here...

Kleen Kanteen looks good but you'd still have some splatter arohnd the edges of the cap, right. Other option could be one of them camelbak bottles with the nozzle protector shield (thingy). But expereince of the newer Camelbak bittles has been that they start to stink up too soon even with kust using plain water :sad:

Obviously, then I admired it. Butcher (the bike), you little gorgeous little basket you... Hope it rides as well as some of the hype. But... at least the framebag fits snugly!

Stan (the Sonder): RIP
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:29 am Now then... Just got back from work. Bought the missus flowers but they only lasted for about 1 hour (actually less) before I'm in the doghouse for not completing the loft already :o

But before I ended up in that house, I managed to get a few more bits done Alhamdulillah...

Removed the long bolts on top of the stem which held an outfront mount. Now I have 2 ti bolts underneath that might be weak but at least won't look rusty in time. The top ones are steel but time will tell if it's stainless (I suppose I could get out a magnet and not need to wait in suspense).

Then before getting to work on water carrying abilities, I noted this little chain smack/slap groove seems to be a bit deeper than anticipated :o Oh well, it'll keep me on the edge :grin: and also adds character, right!

Then the bolts under downtube came out and a sidelaoding specialized cage went in. Not looking forward to mud splatted on the water bottle spout so might need to put some thought in here...

Kleen Kanteen looks good but you'd still have some splatter arohnd the edges of the cap, right. Other option could be one of them camelbak bottles with the nozzle protector shield (thingy). But expereince of the newer Camelbak bittles has been that they start to stink up too soon even with kust using plain water :sad:

Obviously, then I admired it. Butcher (the bike), you little gorgeous little basket you... Hope it rides as well as some of the hype. But... at least the framebag fits snugly!

Stan (the Sonder): RIP
Nice one Shaf.
Just the ticket for the Dartmoor trip.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

I fixed it, but fitting a new inner and outer cable gear cable, rear derailleur, and chain. Although it took so long I didn't get a chance to switch the tyres over.
Thanks to everyone that replied to my utter brain fades today, much appreciated..
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Added some Togs thumb grips to the loop of my Jones-a-like bars.
No idea if it will help at all but I find the concept intriguing and I saw a used pair on eBay.
Partly I hope they will stop me obsessing about adding a Gnarwhal extension to the bars.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02XbCOR ... r_-_Huxham
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:05 pm Added some Togs thumb grips to the loop of my Jones-a-like bars.
No idea if it will help at all but I find the concept intriguing and I saw a used pair on eBay.
Partly I hope they will stop me obsessing about adding a Gnarwhal extension to the bars.

[/quote]
Ooh, I'd be interested in how you get on.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Took the Terenno Zero's off and put last years Gravel King SK's back on. Sealant pissing everywhere, from both tyres, so took them off again, cleaned them up and put them back on with inners tubes. Then took one back off, patched the hole in the tube, and put it back on.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:05 pm Added some Togs thumb grips to the loop of my Jones-a-like bars.

I have TOGS on a couple of bikes and like them. Never thought of doing that to the Jones bars though. I think that could work well. Very clever.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:14 pm

I have TOGS on a couple of bikes and like them. Never thought of doing that to the Jones bars though. I think that could work well. Very clever.
May need a little playing with to find the best position but they feel pretty good on a trip around the block.
Will report back when they’ve had a proper run out.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Lukes/Lune Rangers Togs
gairym

Post by gairym »

What have I done to my bike today....?

I sat on it and rode somewhere in the region of 30 metres before putting it away again.

I had a vasectomy last Thursday and now that the swelling is going down, the tenderness is a tad less debilitating and I'm hoping we've passed 'peak purple' my thoughts are turning to when I'll be able to get back in the saddle. :shock:

Less than 4 weeks to the Tuscany Trail and I need to get some more long days in asap.....fingers crossed!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

gairym wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm What have I done to my bike today....?

I sat on it and rode somewhere in the region of 30 metres before putting it away again.

I had a vasectomy last Thursday and now that the swelling is going down, the tenderness is a tad less debilitating and I'm hoping we've passed 'peak purple' my thoughts are turning to when I'll be able to get back in the saddle. :shock:

Less than 4 weeks to the Tuscany Trail and I need to get some more long days in asap.....fingers crossed!
Keep wearing your budgie smugglers/those undercrackers that are 3 sizes too small :o . If you don't squeek they're too big!
I've Been there.. 'nuf said..

May be Try riding bow legged & standing up,
Drop your saddle etc. Just walk...
redefined_cycles

Popped a saddlepack on the dropper (once again). Was hoping it'd be light enough for the air pressure in the dropper to counter the weight. But no, pressing yhe lever with the SP on and it wouldn't come up the full length.

Took off thw saddle to get to the air pressure valve. Got the Rockshox pump on it once again and it's already at 200psi. Pumped it as hard as I could to 250 but as soon as I released the valve the excess just keeps coming out.

Then decide I'd let it run as sag. 1.5cm or thereabouts. So I've raised the saddle height instead. Only problem is that when I take the SP off, I'll then need to drop it again. Surely, can't be too hard...

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well yesterday evening. Pulled the rear Hope hub apart and switched a bearing, cleaned out the freewheel (I think some of the water in it was from the River Tilt) re-greased, re-assembled and realised I'd put the pawls in the wrong way round despite actually spending a minute thinking about which way round they go. Not wishing to ride the bike backwards it then had to come apart again :roll: Torqued the sprocket lockring up to 40Nm so no chance of changing the sprocket for a cassette now.

Pulled the EBB, cleaned and re-greased. Faffed with some allen keys to ensure I can rotate it mid ride. Stared at the brake pads for a bit then changed the front pair, put a spanner / allen key on every bolt I could find to see if they were tight, put the 'touring' stem on, fiddled with the bar position and put on ergo grips.

Swapped both tyres as the rear was done and the front a bit worn.

All ready for the 22nd!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I installed my birthday present from the kids. After one or two subtle hints, delivered unto me were a set of Surly Sunrise bars and some of those crazy thick Supergripz. These are the 45mm ones. I have hands like t-bone steaks and I'm not sure about them at all. The 55mm ones must be like rolling pins.. As for the bars, I've been after a higher riding position for a while and am really happy with the BMX-clunker-shopping bike look. First proper ride on Saturday should be interesting.

I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

May 7th

Fitted mud guards ready for tomorrows ride :roll:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well I gave the drivetrain a serious clean yesterday, I’d ran out of smoove lube and resorted to using an old bottle of muc-off wet lube. It’s the work of the devil. A pristine drivetrain is now black again after today’s 40 mile ride :YMSICK: Must but some more smoove ASAP.
While cleaning it I found that the BB bearings were shot again, cleaned them out and regreased but they are rough as a badgers arse. Now I’m an advocate of quality bearings but this Covid thing and divorce has left me hugely skint so……
The postie has just delivered a set of these
EsportsMJJ FEVERWORK 2Pcs 6806-2RS Ceramic Bearings for Cannondale Rotor BB30/PF30/BB 386/BB Right Bottom Bracket https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BQTN512/ ... UTF8&psc=1

Yes £6 a pair and claiming to be ceramic :???:
I’ll Chuck them in tomorrow while it’s raining, if they last half a year I’ll be happy enough, 3 sets a year and I’d still be quids in compared to my normal bearings. Interesting experiment, with expensive bearings you don’t want to change them very often so normally they are well beyond optimal by replacement time at six quid I’d save the degreasing/ regrease hassle and just bang another set in, as I’ve said recently I treat 30mm bearings as a consumable.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm the BMX-clunker-shopping bike look. First proper ride on Saturday should be interesting.

Sunriser s looks like Ragley and Jones bar-stard love child :???: , but who cares :wink: ? .Are they comfy. get some happy mile in! :-bd :grin:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Knocked out the shot BB bearings then during halftime during the Northampton Saints game (don’t ask) poped in my new über cheap ones. They feel lovely, can’t beat that new bearings feeling.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

BigdummySteve :roll: :lol: wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 pm Knocked out the shot BB bearings then during halftime during the Northampton Saints game (don’t ask) poped in my new über cheap ones. They feel lovely, can’t beat that new bearings feeling.
    you end up investing in so many it be
    .... the New Bearing Bank :roll: :-bd :lol:
    BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ledburner wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm
      BigdummySteve :roll: :lol: wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 pm Knocked out the shot BB bearings then during halftime during the Northampton Saints game (don’t ask) poped in my new über cheap ones. They feel lovely, can’t beat that new bearings feeling.
      you end up investing in so many it be
      .... the New Bearing Bank :roll: :-bd :lol:
      Well to be fair you might be right, but there’s method in the madness. My usual quality bearings approach kinda works but I still average less than a year even with the best. So going on usual expenditures I can get nearly 4 sets for the price of one. For the one I’d be popping the seals and regreasing fairly often. I reckon I can put a new set in quicker than servicing the old. And I’m skint so obviously I’ve focused more on the pro’s :-bd

Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

TBH I always have gone for cheaper bearing after the life of the good vs the cheap is pretty much the same, normally get hold of packs of 10 off the bay and just change when they need changing, much better than a pair of bearings for 20 squids a time
      Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
      BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fitted a 2.6” Mezcal to the rear, liked the extra everything with front one and managed to find another cheap . I’ve been liking the 2.6 size, they don’t seem much draggier than the 2.3’s and much much better than the 3” chupucabras on my ECR which I came to hate.
      Oh don’t make a phone call right after seating tubeless tyres, I think TBD thought it was a dirty phone call at first :lol:

Dean

Post by Dean »

Did you let out an "ooh" at every pop? :o

I replaced my gravel bike's rear tyre which had worn down to slicks, tubeless popped straight on first time with no mess. :grin: Now to leave the sealant to soak into the sidewalls overnight for a ride tomorrow.