What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by RIP »

>takes a wrong turn and opens door by mistake and enters.....<

Well this thread is 42 pages (43 now!) long and I don't think I've ever frequented it before. I tapped it by mistake so I suppose I've got to say something now. Oo-er.

Erm..... what do I do to my bike. I ride it. I suppose I clean it too. Oh and adjust the gears now and then. Berate it occasionally.

I know! The other day I found a Rocket Ron tyre at the back of the shed that a mate gave me a few years ago (the tyre not the shed). Been a bit fed up for ages with the slight vertical 'bump' in the Mountain King that's been on it and nothing seems to fix it so I thought, sod it, let's see what you can do Ronald.

Street cred gone, but..... bump also gone, insanely light, grip fine, blah blah. Lovely.

Right, er, as you were, back to your fancy of-the-moment mods, erm, just ignore me, see you on Page 84/86 again I suppose.

>Looks around a bit as he shuts the door quietly on the way out. Shakes head slightly.< Fascinating.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You could always pop in next time yoy attach another thing made of gaffer tape, or fix a puncture, many of cant remember what they are.....
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dean

Post by Dean »

I fitted a pair of Jones bars to my hardtail and rode it for the first time in five months. The multiple hand positions feel good and I stormed up a local climb with relative ease, I might need to move the bar ends higher. My cables are long enough to fit without being changed but I can't fit any bags to the loops like this.

How long do people run their cables (from brake lever to headtube) to fit around bags? I am worried about catching the cables when not running bikepacking bags, a lot of small branches encroach on my local singletrack.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:54 pm >takes a wrong turn and opens door by mistake and enters.....<

Well this thread is 42 pages (43 now!) long and I don't think I've ever frequented it before. I tapped it by mistake so I suppose I've got to say something now. Oo-er.

Erm..... what do I do to my bike. I ride it. I suppose I clean it too. Oh and adjust the gears now and then. Berate it occasionally.

I know! The other day I found a Rocket Ron tyre at the back of the shed that a mate gave me a few years ago (the tyre not the shed). Been a bit fed up for ages with the slight vertical 'bump' in the Mountain King that's been on it and nothing seems to fix it so I thought, sod it, let's see what you can do Ronald.

Street cred gone, but..... bump also gone, insanely light, grip fine, blah blah. Lovely.

Right, er, as you were, back to your fancy of-the-moment mods, erm, just ignore me, see you on Page 84/86 again I suppose.

>Looks around a bit as he shuts the door quietly on the way out. Shakes head slightly.< Fascinating.
:lol: Thanks for popping by Reg. I just looked at when it was made just before I came to the current posts. 2019 so you've ignored this door for about 3 years :-bd that's endurance? Look forward to you popping by again in 2025 God Willing (InshaAllah).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dean wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:45 pm I fitted a pair of Jones bars to my hardtail and rode it for the first time in five months. The multiple hand positions feel good and I stormed up a local climb with relative ease, I might need to move the bar ends higher. My cables are long enough to fit without being changed but I can't fit any bags to the loops like this.

How long do people run their cables (from brake lever to headtube) to fit around bags? I am worried about catching the cables when not running bikepacking bags, a lot of small branches encroach on my local singletrack.
Longish, such that my bar roll goes under the cables. Shimano brake lines standard length without shortening. So far I've not managed to catch the cables on a tree branch and I'm massively prone to such stupidity so I think its not a problem. (Cue strangling myself on next woods ride)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Swore non stop at the massive bastard after a tubeless failure and brake bleeding epic. I must learn that bikes need love monthly otherwise all sorts of hell breaks loose.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dean

Post by Dean »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:24 pm
Dean wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:45 pm I fitted a pair of Jones bars to my hardtail and rode it for the first time in five months. The multiple hand positions feel good and I stormed up a local climb with relative ease, I might need to move the bar ends higher. My cables are long enough to fit without being changed but I can't fit any bags to the loops like this.

Longish, such that my bar roll goes under the cables. Shimano brake lines standard length without shortening. So far I've not managed to catch the cables on a tree branch and I'm massively prone to such stupidity so I think its not a problem. (Cue strangling myself on next woods ride)
This is filling me with (hopefully well-placed) confidence, now to find more cable.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Fitted a pair of WTB Bridgers 27.5 x 3.0 fro Chain Reaction. At 20 quid for the pair it was rude not to. Both went up tubeless with zero trouble. Raining out so I'll have to wait and see how they go for another time.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Fitted a 29er tubeless wheelset to my ALICE with a 10 speed 11-46 cassette and an 11 speed XT mech which index together surprisingly nicely.

Much swearing with one of the tyres that inflated, but wouldn't stay up. Sorted now.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Swapped the Lauf Grit on the Hipster Hybrid, for some carbon rigids. Forgot to order 12mm adaptors in advance, so will have to wait for the gravel test.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Knocked the bearings out of the front wheel on the fatbike. Just about to go order replacements now.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Day two of the build of my new fat bike. It's going quite well so far, I had to cut the front brake hose at the lever end to allow it to be threaded through the internal frame routing ports but I think I've got away without needing a bleed which is a result. The main hold up is that the front brake adapter is the wrong size as my old bike had 160 post mount and the new one has 180 post mount so I can't fit my 203 disc until the new (180-203) adapter arrives. I may have to borrow the 180 rotor off my spare 29er rear wheel and stick it on the front as a stop gap so that I can complete the build tomorrow and have a test ride. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Richpips wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:48 pm Fitted a 29er tubeless wheelset to my ALICE with a 10 speed 11-46 cassette and an 11 speed XT mech which index together surprisingly nicely.

Much swearing with one of the tyres that inflated, but wouldn't stay up. Sorted now.
What's the cassette Rich? I am after a similar range cassette in 10 speed
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Steve, pretty sure Sunrace do an 11-46T 10spd cassette. Advent do an 11-48T 10spd. There's the Shimano M4100 as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

slarge wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:36 pm
Richpips wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:48 pm Fitted a 29er tubeless wheelset to my ALICE with a 10 speed 11-46 cassette and an 11 speed XT mech which index together surprisingly nicely.

What's the cassette Rich? I am after a similar range cassette in 10 speed
Yep, Sunrace 11-46
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dynamo hub wheels taken off gravel bikes and thrown in back of shed, replaced with go faster hunt wheels on the straggler and trad touring wheels on cross check. Spring is in the air!
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Fixed my 1st puncture on a tubeless tyre with a plug. Obvs very simple but still giving myself a pat in the back. Added some more sealant to the rear tyre too. Didn't give myself a pat on the back for that. Staying humble.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Finished building the Macabre Muffin (with apologies to Pinkbike). It's actually a Smokestone Bow ti LS which I've built using mostly donor parts from my previous Smokestone Henderson. The frame, forks (Manitou Mastodon Pro 140mm travel) and headset (Hope) and dropper (One Up 210mm) are all new though. It's about the most radical fat bike out there with geometry that's comparable with a hardcore hardtail (long reach, 64.5 degree head angle, 74.5 degree seat tube angle) but it's a fat bike. I have a pair of 29er wheels on fat bike hubs that'll go in it as well though. Just waiting for the blue fork graphics kit to arrive from Slik in Sweden now to finish it off. :cool:
ImageThe Macabre Muffin by Jurassic690, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
I was wondering when you were going to put some pics up of this. Fab, I'm jealous but far to hamfisted to have such a fine machine under me :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Nice one Jurassic :-bd
Looks like loads of fun.
My custom Waltly has similar geo numbers, just a steeper STA and longer reach and is a fantastic companion on all sorts of soft surface trips, flat or steep.

Going on a bike ride with mates tomorrow and thought I could give my short travel trailbike some love. Due to the rather little amount of snow we've had in the prealps I was able to ride it lots and it has constantly been rather dirty.
Had very minor shifting issues and thought it came from a crash which left some pretty decent marks on the mech.
Turns out the cassette was wobbling, thankfully not the expensive XX1 AXS mech or bent hanger (which I currently don't have as a spare - big mistake).
Quick inspection showed a bust bearing inside the freehub. Thankfully I had a spare one.
This is my second damaged DT freewheel on this bike in about 4000 km and all other DT freewheels on the other bikes have showed no weaknesses on more than 4000 km each. Perhaps I've been overtightening the rear axle... no idea what's causing the failures.
Anyway, rather unusal, but happy it's just the freewheel and bike's like new again.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I rarely do anything to my bikes anymore as got them all where I want them to be.
However, have a weekend away at some trail centres in Dumfries & Galloway next weekend so have been fettling the electric Enduro machine:

New grips!
Remove the big plastic thing behind the cassette that's been on it since I got it.
New dropper lever and new assist switch (the standard Shimano switch is like a front mech switch which means you can't use a normal dropper lever). So put a switch from their town bikes on which is actually a lot better.
Then took it for a ride around Glentress which was lovely, if soaking.

Today I shall brush all the (hopefully) dried mud off of it and then hook up a Magicshine headlight into the motor wiring <- not really sure why they don't all come like this.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:27 pm Have finished working on my girlfriends everyday/offroad touring bike. She's been using it practically every day for nearly 5 years and rode it across Iceland 2 x with hardly any love. Was about time to give it some.
So... she managed to break the SON dyno hub.
Of all the people I know who use them, there are now two I know of, who managed to break one.
In my girlfriend's case water found its way inside, the cold nights froze the water and lead to parts turning with the wheel which otherwise shouldn't move, tearing off the connectors. SON fixed it quickly (for free, outside the 5 y warranty).
Whilst her hub was away she used one of my trailbike's wheels (all boost :-bd ), so I just needed to put rim tape, rotor and tyre back on, fix the connectors and off she can go again without thinking about lights. Usually, when I work on bikes I spend ages in the cellar faffing about. This time I did the job in half the expected time without any hurry. Lovely. Two happy souls.

Edit. The SON hub was out of warranty by 6 weeks.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Turns out the Magicshine light is really good and pretty simple to connect to a Shimano E8000 motor (two wee screw terminals under a plastic cover).
However, trying to run the cable through the internally routed downtube is some kind of dark art so it's now cable tied to the outside of the downtube like a normal person's bicycle.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I felt bad about my failure with internal routing.
So, after some thought, I managed to poke some fencing wire through the down tube, then tie/tape the cable to it and drag it down that way.
And now things are neat.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The front wheel on my Fatbike is now wobble-free after replacement bearings were fitted.