What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by pistonbroke »

Can't post a photo as I'm a long way from home but I've got an OnOne Scandal with track dropouts and a White Industries Duo 2 speed freewheel. I've married this to a double chainset so can manually change from 34/19 to 36/17 without moving the wheel or needing a chain tensioner. Doesn't sound much difference in ratios but it is surprisingly different.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Me and a mate have been thinking of trying that using a surly dingle. I do need to bite the bullet and give it a go sometime. Being picky I wish the dingles or the WI duo cogs had a bigger teeth gap to allow a wider ratio gap.

(Some smartarse is going to come along and suggest we fit a cluster of sprockets on the rear wheel along with a lever / pully arrangement to enable constant chain tension whilst allowing the chain to move across the different sprockets....)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mostly finished building my Transition Rapture CX into a long distance brevet/audax/all-road machine.
This is the bike that has the Cam-ano gears. Campy Centaur 10sp with a Shimano GRX crankset to take advantage of 30/46 chainrings. Seems to shift as well as with the proper chainset in the work stand.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Dingle speed wise, have you tried 2 cogs on a hg freehub body? Planning on setting mine up like that, probably 30-18 and 33-15 on 650b wheel
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

PaulE wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:17 pm Dingle speed wise, have you tried 2 cogs on a hg freehub body? Planning on setting mine up like that, probably 30-18 and 33-15 on 650b wheel
Thats what we were thinking so be interested to see how you get on.

Steamroller now complete apart from mudguards. I have them it's just that it looks so nice without them in my living room....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath's rear mech was, shall we say, sticky. When in the higher gears the jockey arm wouldn't move back to pick up the slack.

Cue me removing the mech, cleaning, greasing and reassembling it. Never done one before so it took a while and a couple of YT videos. Annoyingly the bolt that holds the arm is meant to be done up to 8Nm but at that torque it hardly moves so I had to loosen it off a touch to allow it to work.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Raked through the potting shed and raided the spare parts box. I now have the following that can be fitted to the Scandal:
  • Calibre Trail 70mm stem
  • On-One OG Handlebars
  • Tektro Auriga brake levers
  • Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes
  • Shimano Altus shifter
  • Shimano Alivo 8 speed rear dérailleur
  • Shimano 8 speed cassette (if I can get it off the old fat bike rear wheel)
  • 2x 160mm disc rotors
  • On-One Twelfty MTB Seat post
  • Shimano PD-M324 SPD pedals
Pretty much all off the old Dune fat bike.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:15 pm Raked through the potting shed and raided the spare parts box. I now have the following that can be fitted to the Scandal:
  • Calibre Trail 70mm stem
  • On-One OG Handlebars
  • Tektro Auriga brake levers
  • Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes
  • Shimano Altus shifter
  • Shimano Alivo 8 speed rear dérailleur
  • Shimano 8 speed cassette (if I can get it off the old fat bike rear wheel)
  • 2x 160mm disc rotors
  • On-One Twelfty MTB Seat post
  • Shimano PD-M324 SPD pedals
Pretty much all off the old Dune fat bike.
Well done Bob. I'm currently away from the bike (knee injury but not sure if the extreme lower back pain is me staying away from the cycling or it's gonna make it worse!) but the only real things needing doing on the bikes are...

Mtb: sway out calipers and rebleed then good to go!

Road: swap the chain set to the semi compact power meter thingy.

Really need to motivate self to get it done and get back out there :sad:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:10 am Mostly finished building my Transition Rapture CX into a long distance brevet/audax/all-road machine.
This is the bike that has the Cam-ano gears. Campy Centaur 10sp with a Shimano GRX crankset to take advantage of 30/46 chainrings. Seems to shift as well as with the proper chainset in the work stand.
This has been running very well over 600km or so.
The gearing range isn’t quite what I need though. It’s fine with fresh legs or unloaded on the road but less good off road, loaded or tired. I need something easier than 30x29 if I’m to use this bike for the very long distance multi surface rides I’d like to do.
Sooo…
I just fitted a SRAM 10 speed cassette and medium cage rear mech. Getting this to play with Campy shifters has required a Jtek ShiftMate and a Wolf Tooth Road link (thanks FLV).
I now have a properly Frankenstein drivetrain with components from all of the big 3. All I can say is that it works almost perfectly in the workstand - what remains to be seen is if it works in the real world.
Will it hold up or will I be looking for SRAM shifters in a month or so? On the bright side if I do switch shifters I’ll have all the original Campy back with which to build back the Ribble it came off :-bd
Stay tuned for the next instalment.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Shimano, campag and SRAM. Nice one Luke :-bd bet it looks very posh :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 pm Shimano, campag and SRAM. Nice one Luke :-bd bet it looks very posh :grin:
Bit of adogs dinner really… but if it works then that’s what counts.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:54 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 pm Shimano, campag and SRAM. Nice one Luke :-bd bet it looks very posh :grin:
Bit of adogs dinner really… but if it works then that’s what counts.
Best ofAll* or Beast of all?
Its Shi(t) mano Tourney of course, all eBay sellers rate em :grin:
seriously I.. *hope it works for you
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

So do I. Shifters are hellishly expensive, even second hand.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Finally wrestled the mudguards onto the steamroller. Turned into a right marathon for various reasons but I can now ride it in the rain without getting water sprayed up my backside and into my face / groin / legs / belly etc. Doesn't look quite as sporty as it did but I may take them off again if we get some dry weather this year.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

This morning I gave it a proper wash after a mud fest ride yesterday and set to indexing the SRAM GX 1x12 which was shitting me all day. Ghost shifts all over the place which made the techie stuff extra exciting.

I just can't get it right. Either it shifts nice going up the cassette, but won't shift down. Or the other way around.

I've never had anything like the issues I've got with this groupo. Rear derailleur alignment is spot on.

The Hive will know. What's the process?
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:53 pm This morning I gave it a proper wash after a mud fest ride yesterday and set to indexing the SRAM GX 1x12 which was shitting me all day. Ghost shifts all over the place which made the techie stuff extra exciting.

I just can't get it right. Either it shifts nice going up the cassette, but won't shift down. Or the other way around.

I've never had anything like the issues I've got with this groupo. Rear derailleur alignment is spot on.

The Hive will know. What's the process?
That's usually a sign of a sticking cable.... give a clean or renew?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What you done t' your bike today

Absolutely nothing.
But the double garage were they live now has a floor and is not covered in stuff I've dumped there.
I didn't realise I had so much floor and workbench space.
Still got the bike packing and packrafting shelving to sort out, but now I have the room this wiil be a nice evening job.
Now the challenge is to try and keep it that tidy without it becoming a dumping ground yet again
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
My garage is pretty good in terms of being tidy as the bikes are kept there but the loft… :shock:
redefined_cycles

Getting pedal strikes on the Pinnacle Ramin 3+. In 650b guide. Took it for a ride today and was meant to come back and change the angle of the eccentric BB but haven't got round to it.

Current position of the BB inside the eccentric is at about 9 o clock. Am thinking if I put it at 12 o clock I should alleviate the pedals strikes (only off camber) but also not messing up the chain length too much :???:

Watch this space!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:26 pm Getting pedal strikes on the Pinnacle Ramin 3+. In 650b guide. Took it for a ride today and was meant to come back and change the angle of the eccentric BB but haven't got round to it.

Current position of the BB inside the eccentric is at about 9 o clock. Am thinking if I put it at 12 o clock I should alleviate the pedals strikes (only off camber) but also not messing up the chain length too much :???:

Watch this space!
post a picture!
Or fit shorter cranks if that's an option, Eg going from 175mn to 170mm. Ivm just throwing more ideas on the pot... :wink:
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:26 pm Getting pedal strikes on the Pinnacle Ramin 3+. In 650b guide. Took it for a ride today and was meant to come back and change the angle of the eccentric BB but haven't got round to it.

Watch this space!
post a picture!
Or fit shorter cranks if that's an option, Eg going from 175mn to 170mm. Ivm just throwing more ideas on the pot... :wink:
Thanks Dan. Will try and post a pic. Going to smaller cranks is probably not an option as it's more money :grin:

When we gonna go for out yearly mtb ride mate?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:43 pm
ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 pm

Watch this space!
post a picture!
Thanks Dan. Will try and post a pic. Going to smaller cranks is probably not an option as it's more money :grin:

When we gonna go for out yearly mtb ride mate?
err, when I've got some lard off.. :o
cranks you've sold all your spare parts bin off then.... :grin:
redefined_cycles

No Dan... the shed and outhouse are a bit of a mess. Need a good clear out and then some more shelves putting up with some better organisation mate. You don't need lard-off to go for a simple mtb ride mate :-bd
ledburner

Re: What you done t' your bike today- Rim Tape woes

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:20 pm No Dan... the shed and outhouse are a bit of a mess. Need a good clear out and then some more shelves putting up with some better organisation mate. You don't need lard-off to go for a simple mtb ride mate :-bd
I just taken off the back tyre as it wasn't holding air compared to same tyre on front. . The rim taping was looking suspect so I stripped it off and notice all the spoke holes has solid sealant in under the RimTape. one tape had properly failed/ been bodged on One Spoke hole so was all sealant probably also causing the sealant in the rim cavity. :roll:
I cleaned it up as best I can. Then dried off the trapped moisture. I noted some sealant was gooey, Maybe from the trapped moisture? The Bond of sealant between rim & tyre wasn't great as well. re-tape tomorrow. morning.

Any Advice ? ??
redefined_cycles

Sounds like you have a right good job of cleaning on your hands. :smile: