What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

What you done t' your bike today

Post by redefined_cycles »

Based on a massive thread on one of the car forums. Been thinking bout making this thread a while, as it helps encourage one to do that all important job. As well as it might give others ideas of what might need doing/how to check for it themselves...

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by whitestone »

Following on from my "Easy Job" thread and snapping the mech hanger on my Spearfish, a replacement (and spare) arrived in the post today so fitted that. Now the gears index properly :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

ignored it.

again.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote:Following on from my "Easy Job" thread and snapping the mech hanger on my Spearfish, a replacement (and spare) arrived in the post today so fitted that. Now the gears index properly :-bd
Nice... your "easy job" post was the final straw that prompted me to finally start this off. Plus I have a couple " easy jobs" myself...

I used to hate the mech hanger on my Canyon Ultimate (same reason as yours but probably even more made of cheese). The replaced one hanger FOC but I conceded to the fact that its better having a soft (really is that soft) mwch hanger which means the frame and mech are even more protected when taking a ding... :-bd three cheers for cheesy mechs (hangers)..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well they are intended to be "sacrificial" in the same way a fuse is in an electrical circuit. A lot of the older farm machinery had something similar, often called a shear bolt, whose sole purpose was to prevent the power from the tractor being applied should the machine jam in some way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Ok. One tiny job ticked off. Managed to sell my brakeset on the cheap and buyer wanted the new olive/barb adding in. So done that and rebled it all and its feeling nice again (for an SRAM Elixir)...

Now just the headset bearing to swap (needs knocking out and pushing back in so gonna have to use a homemade 'make do' tool...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Had a tinker-fest this afternoon, I had some bits of carbon fibre kicking about so made a couple of G clips to mount my cooking kit and a riser to lift my Revo light to allow the Ortlieb accessory bag to sit a bit higher without creating a shadow. I was at a bit of a loose end as I'd earlier painted the stairs inside the house so couldn't use them for 6 hours.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Great idea for a thread. I rather like that carbon sticky uppy thing. Nice.

I was awake very early this morning and treated my Brompton to a new gear cable and a new suspension block. Now it changes gear and I can ride through a pot hole without risking spinal injury.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

I think everyone at some point has thiugh of how to raise the lights so it can beam past the bar bag. Thats a great idea of the csrbon pole btw...
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Great bit of fettling there Duncan.
A close up of the way you have fixed it to the Exposure mount wouldn’t go amiss, chap! Or are you trying to patent it?
Like it a lot and wouldn’t go a miss up front on my bike.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Collected it. :cool: And first ride. :cool:

A 2 speed brompton in raw laquer on the bike to work scheme :-bd

And fettled a friend's bike's gears on his commuter at Marylebone station. Got a few odd looks!
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
slarge

Post by slarge »

New seatpost on the road bike to move the saddle forward and fix knee pain.

And looked at the trusty, filthy unloved commuter that needs cables, gears, brakes sorting. Can't quite get the time or motivation to start....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Artie, I took another photo but not sure if it helps. Basically you unscrew the existing arrow shaped mount and replace it with a suitable length M6 countersunk screw, 60mm works well, bridging the gap with a bit of tube, doesn't have to be carbon it's just I've got a supply from cutting down tri bars. The tube acts as a very thick washer to give you something to tighten against. Carbon just looks trick and matches the bars and G clips, again made from bits of tri bar offcut.
Now need to raise the Joystick mount a bit.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

New rear wheel bearings, new chain + chainring + cog. The chainring is visibility worn already and I only fitted it a few weeks back. Not the reason for changing though, I've fitted a lower ratio.

I keep the chain, chainring and cogs together as a set so I can run them to the point where the teeth are so worn they're just about to snap off...or sometimes past that point :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I get it Duncan, top job!
Should cobble something up myself soon.
Thanks for the reply.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Dr Nick wrote:Collected it. :cool: And first ride. :cool: A 2 speed brompton in raw laquer on the bike to work scheme :-bd !
Nick pix please. And what's going on fella? That single speed thingy (is it an Airnimal of some cofiguration) doing it for ya any more?

And when are you moving? Or are you already gone?
I'm just going outside ...
techno

Post by techno »

Re-fitted gears and 29er wheels in preparation for the dales divide. Will appreciate them in the wee hours and on the big gradients.
Probably will be putting OG bars back on soon as I'm not getting on with the Jeff bars.....
redefined_cycles

After some fighting and getting Garfield* (so the missus called the 4 year old when he quickly came to the rescue to turn the top spanner whilst I held the bottom one taut) on the job. The top bearing has happily been pushed into the headtube. Never seen a top bearing go before the bottom but thats what the feeling in my hand when rolling em told me. Maybe its the fact that its push fit and the bottom is more recessed away from the elements!!

Maybe its time to finally bite the bullet and buy a large bearing press (Unior seem to be dping a good multi purpose kit!) and throw this sorry looking press in the bin (normally for BB duties and pushin headset cups in)...

Image A SORRY LOOKING PRESS

Image A HAPPY HEADTUBE READY FOR ANOTHER 5000 MILES HOPEFULLY

*real name AbdurRahman
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I was going to swap chainrings from 32 round to 30 oval. But didn’t get round to it.

Did pump up tyres and reset the saddle on Helens commuter though
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Re-dished my front wheel to centre it in my new Prong forks. First time doing anything like that and surprisingly it seems to have worked.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Left it in the back of the car where it's been, covered in sheep sh!te, since wednesday night.

Probably need to swap out most of the drivetrain before the Dales Divide. :roll: Probably need to scrub the back of the car out and give it a good dousing in Febreze.

Mañana :cool:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I put some snow on

Makes it more aero.
techno

Post by techno »

Alpinum wrote: Makes it more aero.
You could get a full disk wheel setup with a bit of work there fella.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

New BB and flat pedals on the scandal
Just need to ride it now haven't used it since winter event :roll:
Trying to ride bikes.