What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by redefined_cycles »

Deep clean of the chain (petrol shaking... scrubbing.. hot water... degreaser... scrubbing some more then at some point in turps) and hung to dry. Later I'll slap some Smoove on it.

Standard clean of the bike - pedals (Crank Bros don't seem to like mud like Shimano do they) properly cleaned but not sure how ling bearings will last - and decided some form of mudguards need to go back on. Mudhugger(s) will need some new holes in it/them.

After that hopefully pack it and load it in prep for the (probably muddy) Dartmoor bivy this Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Hoping it all goes well and I don't end up half-dead trying to keep pace with Lune Ranger :smile:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fitted the new tyres...

How many times do I have to pump these fuckers up before the sealant* actually seals...? Answers on a postcard...

* Effetto Mariposa Végétalex, if it can't seal weeping sidewalls, then what hope have I got that it will seal an actual puncture...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

K1100T wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 pm Fitted the new tyres...

How many times do I have to pump these fuckers up before the sealant* actually seals...? Answers on a postcard...

* Effetto Mariposa Végétalex, if it can't seal weeping sidewalls, then what hope have I got that it will seal an actual puncture...?
i had the same issue with my wtb raddlers using mariposa effeto. sorted it by putting a bit more than suggested in the tyre pumping it up and then leaving the wheel horizontal (sitting on a bucket) for 30 minutes a side, occasionally giving it a swish around.

in my experience mariposa dries up pretty quickly. its worth refilling or at least checking a bit sooner than you usually would.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Took the tyres off yesterday, cleaned them inside and out, then hung them up to dry. Set them up again this morning (in the correct direction and everything), filled with loads of Orange Seal Endurance. They went straight up to 60psi, so rode up and down the High Street, then left them sitting on their side for half an hour. Just flipped them over, a couple of spots of sealant, but that it's it, none that that foamy crap all the way round the tyre bead, like with the Végétalex.

Should've just stuck with the Orange Seal.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Glad that's sorted, you seem to have had an awful run of luck with tyres!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Landslide wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:47 am Glad that's sorted, you seem to have had an awful run of luck with tyres!
It's just the nature of the local riding, it's either clay based claggy slop, hedgerow clipping with 5cm long thorns, flint shards everywhere, or everything at once. 🤷 It doesn't help that I keep trying multiple new things at once, while searching for the one tyre to rule all local riding. Hopeful that this combo will be the one!
redefined_cycles

Finished building it. Gave up on the superlight build and swapped over some parts to here. This has come in at 7.9kg so not too shoddy thankfully...

Now just needs riding I guess and I really hope it fits me perfectly.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Preemptive swap of cheapo Deore BB for a Saint version and rear pad change, all in preparation for riding in the Cairngorms next week.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Since I ordered my fancy new quilt, I've been wondering how to pack the bike, now I'll be able to fit other things into the saddle bag. The aim being to get rid of the fork cages and improve front end handling. There's no way I could shove all sleeping kit onto the handlebar harness due to my previous woes, with my setup. I didn't want the tent and the sleeping stuff in the same bag anyway, as the Lanshan is an absolute condensation generator, so gets put away wet.

I suddenly realised I could probably fit the tent, on its own, in the handlebar harness and not have it bounce off the front tyre, or get in the way of the shifters. I didn't even have to repack the tent, and with the harness fully cinched down, there's at least 4cm of room between the bottom and the tyre. It also means I can use the food pouch, which I've only ever used once, which is why it's so clean.

I'm going to take this on tomorrow morning ride and see how we get on. 🤞

redefined_cycles

Popped this BBB/BBC120 Adaptrail (m) on the bike. Managed to offset the bottle 10cm :grin:

I think I could get an innertune wedged into it aswell by making a homemade strap thingy-jig (compatible strap sold by BBB).

Beat of all, made in Taiwan :smile:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Fitted some Ritchey Comp Kyote bars to the Indy.

Not pictured fitted an XTR groupset.

Just need a few more bits to finish.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've been given some durace wheel set for road bike carbon rims & alimin'um brake surfaces. too bling for the rest of the road bike! and a pair of mavic Open Pro rims on Ultegra hubs, maybe they're 15-20yrs old but will be lots better than the basic alexRims on tiagra hubs o the bike. hey, I might not have to Wa'r [l]k up the hills (hike-a-bike). :grin:
old wheels need a home ... :grin
[Edit:] Dura-Ace not durace :roll:

they could go to StreetBikes local charity.. to be ReCycled. :lol: :grin:.

they need more than neglected asda bargain bikes.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bish

Post by Bish »

Washed, degreased and relubed it in preparation for putting it up for sale, as for one reason or another I've not been out for ages and have kind of lost my mojo for riding.

In the process of doing so I had a bit of a word with myself and have decided to stop fannying about and making excuses and just ride the bloody thing.
Hopefully I'll get out after work tomorrow as I've got plans this afternoon/evening.
I'm fully expecting to be slow and for it to hurt but for the first time in a long time I'm excited at the thought of going out for a ride.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I never normally post in this thread cos I just sort of get on my bike and ride it. However I've commenced my hunt for a perch that will Spare Reg's Ragged Arse. First off, this thing which is certainly unusual. First impression is a rather curious slight side to side rolling motion. Getting the position right will take a while too. Need to go for a BaM and see how it fares over a couple of long days.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

A friend of mine had one of those following an operation, and was a big fan. He said it felt very strange at first, and missed the nose to lean against when standing, but kept it on his bike
slarge

Post by slarge »

In giving my DT Swiss forks a lower leg service I have managed to mess my forks up. Pulled off the lowers (all good), changed the seals and foam rings and went to refill with oil etc and I pushed the damping rod back into the damper where it jammed. Phone call to TF Tuned who helpfully said to put them back together and give the lowers a thump to pull the damping rod out. All good so far. Except the damping rod is really jammed. So I thought I'd take it all apart to free the damping rod - and now it doesn't go back together again. I think special tools are required. And if I could get it back together I can't figure out how to put damping oil back into the damper. A bit flummoxed.

So I've booked it into TF Tuned for a full service (and I've owned up....). They're booked out for the next 3 weeks so I should get them back mid August.

I have decided to use a different bike for the YD300 next weekend (luckily I seem to have a collection of bikes for this type of eventuality!).
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulE wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:55 pm A friend of mine had one of those following an operation, and was a big fan. He said it felt very strange at first, and missed the nose to lean against when standing, but kept it on his bike
Ta for that. I'll try and give it a fair go then.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ootini

Post by ootini »

No pictures, but changed the pads on my new Fatty, cleaned the discs and all is good. Also transferred my whole bar / cockpit setup from my KTM hardtail to the fatty as I'm planning on shifting the KTM to a mate as a swap for his Spesh Allez.
Then I cleaned, degreased and relubed all five of our family bikes.
*EDIT* Not sure if it counts, but also packed and fitted bags to mine and my sons bikes as a test in preparation for our overnighter planned for next weekend with his cousin. Bikepacking with a 7 year old and a 14 year old, what could go wrong?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Managed to get a Soma Dream Riser handlebar so fitted that plus some open ended grips and Ergo tee style bar ends.
First impression is way too wide but I overlaid the Ergos with the Jones Loops and near as makes no difference same width
just not as swept back as the Jones.
I will have a ride later if it ever stops raining. Folk week ends today so the weather should start to improve.

edit
Folk week over suns out.
This is the Soma with a Loop bar over lay.
ImageP1290556 (1024x576) by michaelwex10, on Flickr

I found I ride a lot with my hands cupped over the ends of the Jones bar so I will give this a go.
ImageP1290558 (1024x576) by michaelwex10, on Flickr
Last edited by Mariner on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

First time trying tubeless today, I couldn't believe it, both went on at the first attempt, needed a touch of soap to get one to seat properly but job's a good un. It seems Schwalbe G-One Ultrabites and my new gravelwanky rims are made for each other. Just need to bung some jiz in tomorrow and go for a quick spin around the block.

I was hoping some bar tape would be delivered today so I could fit the Ritchey XL bars I bought off here a few weeks ago, but no postie today, had a dry run just to make sure hoses were long enough etc.

Any thoughts on Scribe wheels? Might treat myself to a set for my birthday.
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:58 pm
PaulE wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:55 pm A friend of mine had one of those following an operation, and was a big fan. He said it felt very strange at first, and missed the nose to lean against when standing, but kept it on his bike
Ta for that. I'll try and give it a fair go then.
Reg... I could be wrong but thats a really wide saddle and I doubt your sitbones would be up for such a (wide) challenge. Do keep a low threshold for 'enough is enough' if your lower back starts aching.

I know long distancer folks do like their flat nosed double-pointy saddles (not this wide and a bit longer) and hence I tried one put for a while. Wasn't for me so sold it on...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Gave it a good go today around t'Dales. I was going to say I gave it a good thrashing today but on reflection that's possibly the wrong phrase.

Have to say that it felt rather weird. BUT! Reginald's Rear is in top condition this evening (available for inspection upon request) and not sore in any way whatsoever. Even forgot to put arse cream on this morning and didn't even notice.

Make of that what you will.

redefined_cycles

Well done Regs bottom... here here... :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:19 pm Reginald's Rear is in top condition this evening (available for inspection upon request) and not sore in any way whatsoever. Even forgot to put arse cream on this morning and didn't even notice.

Make of that what you will.
your obviously allegic/intolerant to arse cream...
blinking snake oil....
edit: if your Rz get in a bad way sudo cream is very good, other barrier cream/solution are available Such as Cavilon(3m) and Derma-S, as creams (preventative) and sprays on protective 'no sting barrier film once the skin is broken. '.
expensive mind, boot spray on liquid plaster and Germaline second skin will skin and advise to to apply to broken skin.. ie that is it has to scab or dry first. :-bd
t
cavillion spray can be appied to dried wound direct... always read the label.. yah-dee-yah.
I m sure the other more experience health care practioner can advise the most suitable products...
Edit picture attached...
Attachments
IMG_07082021_214312_(225_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_07082021_214312_(225_x_800_pixel).jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tested that there new 'Twin Cheeks' (or Professor Plums as Stu might call it) saddle.

No more razor blades for me from now on, thank you. It's excellent. No sore 'bits' at all and very comfy, as I suppose you'd expect when your sit-bones are, well, sitting rather than perching like they have done with all the ridiculous razor blades I've put up with for over 50 years. No contact with any tackle or barse at all, and cheeks cradled nicely in each 'cup'. A revelation. How on earth anyone can have thought razor blades have ever been the correct shape to exact-match an arse is now beyond me. Still seem to be able to apply 'bum/bike control' movements too.

Will continue with ongoing tweaking to get the tilt and spread at optimum settings.

Obvious question is how did Reg determine the spread? Bit of trial and error for a while, then a dab of emulsion paint on each bone position - Mrs Perrin declined to assist since you ask - and an imprint on some cardboard. Tape measure out, 4 1/2 inches. Not sure if there's an Arsecheeks Scale but I reckon I'm between 'Cheeky' and 'Pert'.

A bonus is that it ('they'??) looks utterly ridiculous.