Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by jay91 »

Jeeze gairym that sounds like a real lockdown :|

A brake bleed on the inbred ready for a ride after work tomorrow
Trying to ride bikes.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fitted my new pedals and mudguards. I'll probably have to fettle the rear guard a bit, as I've had to attach part of it with cable ties. I also tried to set up my new tyres tubeless, but it looks like I've been scammed with the last bottle of Orange Seal Endurance I bought. It looks like someone's emptied most of the sealant out and filled it with water, really thin; not impressed.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Painted my Falcon frame coat 2 in bright orange, plus cleaned the road bike ready for turbo duties (new smart turbo from Brothersmith).

Fettle some of the other bikes- clean, lube etc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dee's friend wants a bike, she has very little idea and seems to view bikes as a 4 year old would. With your help, I managed to find her a few budget offerings that would do the job nicely. However, she seems to be very tight and happened to send a pic of something she'd seen on ebay. It was a horrible 'full suspension' Muddy Fox badged bicycle shaped object.

I laughed and then like a nob, I mentioned that there was something identical sat right at the back of the cellar. Ooh that peaked her interest, so I told her while she could happily have it, in my opinion, she really didn't want it ... to cut a long story short, guess who now has the job of rolling this particular turd in glitter?

There's no front brake, BB is completely shot. No bearings in the headset, mech' hanger's bent, rear wheel bearings have 1/4" of play, etc, etc. I bet you're all envious :roll:

Even the camera refused to take an in focus picture of it.

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

At least the forks are on the right way :-bd Shame about the wheel... :lol:

Within the last week or two, new rim tape fitted to the fat bike so it no matches the frame :-bd Mudguard fitted to the singlespeed bike and my Lord, I’m amazed how much crap it keeps out.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:32 pm Dee's friend wants a bike, she has very little idea and seems to view bikes as a 4 year old would. With your help, I managed to find her a few budget offerings that would do the job nicely. However, she seems to be very tight and happened to send a pic of something she'd seen on ebay. It was a horrible 'full suspension' Muddy Fox badged bicycle shaped object.

I laughed and then like a nob, I mentioned that there was something identical sat right at the back of the cellar. Ooh that peaked her interest, so I told her while she could happily have it, in my opinion, she really didn't want it ... to cut a long story short, guess who now has the job of rolling this particular turd in glitter?

There's no front brake, BB is completely shot. No bearings in the headset, mech' hanger's bent, rear wheel bearings have 1/4" of play, etc, etc. I bet you're all envious :roll:

Even the camera refused to take an in focus picture of it.

Really feel sorry for you... Few weeks ago my sons mate pringled his wheel. Claimed he hit it but I think it was so cheap and cheerful (trying hard to sub the word 'nasty'). He's a nice lad so I told him I'd have a look at it. Untensioned all the spokes and still pringled. Then I sat it under some weights for 48 hours... Still pringled.

I built it back up (in its pringled state as trying to starighten it with some extra tension on some and minimal on the others, wasn't working well) and gave it back. Dont think he even realised how much time I'd put into it. At least I now know that unpringling a MuddyFox (trying to think of the name but it won't come to me... the wheel was badged with the same name as the bike...) rim isn't easy - or at least its well out of my remit!

Erm, Stu, enjoy the build :lol: I hear they can be very therapeutic :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Err, is Ruddy Dax ripping off Muddy Fox?

Is that even possible?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, it really is that sh1te Colin :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:45 pm
Yes, it really is that sh1te Colin :-bd
Ruddy 'ell
Maybe you should ride it on the winter event just to make sure its sorted :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe you should ride it on the winter event just to make sure its sorted :mrgreen:
Oh if only Phil but sadly I think she's coming for it before then :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

After several severely muddy and wet (up to BB!) rides some maintenance was needed.
Crank pulled, bearing seals popped out , flushed and re-greased.
Mallet 11 pedals striped and re-greased.
Chain removed and cleaned.
Jockey wheels removed, bearings popped and re-greased.
Rear hub bearings popped and re-greased
Seatpost removed and tubes dosed with ACF-50
Brake calipers cleaned and seals lubed with silicone.

I hate winter.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mart

Post by Mart »

tightened a loose spoke and found a few other not so tight
Retrued the rim only for it to untrue itself

Discovered every spoke hole is cracked (on non drive spokes) not sure what has caused this but rim is scrap

Dismantled and sent hub to favourite Manchester shops for building
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just fitted some nice £1.50 foam grips from Wilkos to replace some ESI things that fell apart.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Fitted a very cool Stooge motobar handle bar to our very un cool tandem
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

SP Dyno hub refurb continued.....
Just to follow up on my post on the previous page, I finally got new bearings, hammered them in and re-assembled the hub which appears to work :-bd

The only thing to note is that the magnet is driven from a central ring which gets pinched between the two halves of the hub shell. I stuck all this together with loctite bearing fit and left it overnight whilst clamped together in the press. Overall this is easy so dunno why they insist you have to return the hub to Taiwan to get done.....
slarge

Post by slarge »

htrider wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:23 pm SP Dyno hub refurb continued.....
Just to follow up on my post on the previous page, I finally got new bearings, hammered them in and re-assembled the hub which appears to work :-bd

The only thing to note is that the magnet is driven from a central ring which gets pinched between the two halves of the hub shell. I stuck all this together with loctite bearing fit and left it overnight whilst clamped together in the press. Overall this is easy so dunno why they insist you have to return the hub to Taiwan to get done.....
This makes hopeful. I have a SP hub that there's no output from, so I want to strip and check for broken wires. My last attempt at dismantling a dynamo hub involved a hacksaw and it definitely wasn't going back together.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

For some time I've been looking for an elegant solution to mounting my cooking kit. Plan A was to use a Blackburn cage mounted to my forks and strap it to that. The carbon forks on my Van Nicholas Zion are shaped like a gently tapering Toblerone packet and don't have any proper mounting hardware so it was a bodge of inner tube to protect the carbon and very tight zip ties. I was always concerned about crushing the carbon or the cage slipping into the wheel as well as the non aero look of the cages sticking out from the forks. I have found a solution to mounting on the downtube using a Fidlock magnetic mount that features a wire attachment which is tightened using a Boa wheel as found on mid to high end shoes. The wire extends to items with a diameter of about 100mm although 80 is the claimed maximum. Another issue is that as my frame is Rohloff specific, it has dual cable guides straight up the middle of the downtube but a bit of filing on the mount allowed the cables to run inside it.
https://fidlock-bike.us/products/twist- ... r-uni-base
I got mine from Amazon.de quite a bit cheaper than the RRP
Here's the result
Clearly this position is a perfect excrement target but thankfully we don't have this issue only dust and stones come off the front wheel but I realise it won't suit everyone. The Fidlock gizmo will however fit most tubes, they even do a mount that goes on the outside of belts or rucksacks.
Last edited by pistonbroke on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 pm

This makes hopeful. I have a SP hub that there's no output from, so I want to strip and check for broken wires. My last attempt at dismantling a dynamo hub involved a hacksaw and it definitely wasn't going back together.
It could be one of the output wires as they are pinched under the outer spacers and could easily get chaffed - easily checked by unscrewing the end cap, pulling off the plastic housing that the wires sit in and then pulling off the inner spacer. If its a problem in the windings I think this may be beyond home repair as it wasn't obvious how you got the armature apart and I think this is the bit that has to be pressed together precisely right.... No harm in having a look though :-bd
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:44 pm Image
Duncan, how have you attached the bottle to that top tube mount. Looks like its being sucked on as opposed to a cage...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Shaf, it's another of Fidlock's products, a 600ml bottle which attaches to a magnetic mount. You twist it to detatch and just place the bottle by the magnets to re-attach, works perfectly. I didn't want a cage in a position where I was likely to disembowel myself if I had to get off in a hurry. I had a different design but same magnetic idea bottle from Vincero Designs but the bottle started leaking around the magnet and they don't make them anymore.
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 pm Shaf, it's another of Fidlock's products, a 600ml bottle which attaches to a magnetic mount. You twist it to detatch and just place the bottle by the magnets to re-attach, works perfectly. I didn't want a cage in a position where I was likely to disembowel myself if I had to get off in a hurry. I had a different design but same magnetic idea bottle from Vincero Designs but the bottle started leaking around the magnet and they don't make them anymore.
Thanks for this... Fidlock (pending weight issues for my lightweight commuter) here I come..
slarge

Post by slarge »

htrider wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 pm
slarge wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 pm

It could be one of the output wires as they are pinched under the outer spacers and could easily get chaffed - easily checked by unscrewing the end cap, pulling off the plastic housing that the wires sit in and then pulling off the inner spacer. If its a problem in the windings I think this may be beyond home repair as it wasn't obvious how you got the armature apart and I think this is the bit that has to be pressed together precisely right.... No harm in having a look though :-bd
Hey hey - found a broken wire as it passes under the bearing. Just now need to pull that hub shell off and should be able to fix it. Then rebuild the wheel (which I was going to have to do anyway with a new dynamo hub). You're right though - the bearing replacement shouldn't have to be a return to Taiwan job, but it is a right fiddle and most shops etc wouldn't have the time. Plus it's easy to break bits. It is quite feasible to refurb borked hubs when you've done it a couple of times though (as long as it's only the bearings that are shot).
ton

Post by ton »

fitted a new 3 x 9 groupset to my tourer. oh and fitted new brake pads and a set of jones riser loops.

my old 3 x 9 groupset has done 11000 miles with not some much as a creak. pretty good going.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Hey hey - found a broken wire as it passes under the bearing. Just now need to pull that hub shell off and should be able to fix it. Then rebuild the wheel (which I was going to have to do anyway with a new dynamo hub). You're right though - the bearing replacement shouldn't have to be a return to Taiwan job, but it is a right fiddle and most shops etc wouldn't have the time. Plus it's easy to break bits. It is quite feasible to refurb borked hubs when you've done it a couple of times though (as long as it's only the bearings that are shot).
Good work, always good to fix things rather than have to buy a new one
redefined_cycles

Took a little picture of the commuters (1 to be). Egen on the right and Bumblebee on the left :grin: