What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Jurassic »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:49 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:11 pm The plan is to use it as a loaner bike for friends who are fatty curious to ride. I just love building up bikes! :grin:
Nice, can I be your new friend :wink:
I’ve only ridden a fat bike for a few miles, Dr Nicks Cannondale lefty, my ungracious option was “it’s not as sh!t as I imagined”
I’d love to live somewhere I needed one, I grew up (debatable) on the channel coast and could have had lots of fun on the sand and pebbles. Somehow we survived with panracer smoke and darts.
It's already been tested by a fatty curious friend. Nothing fell off it (including the rider) and he loved it and has already booked a follow up ride so it seems to be a success!😎
ImageIMG_20200626_103902892 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Swapped the disc rotors on my bikepacking bike for some better quality ones. I'm not sure that it was strictly necessary but as I'd already upgraded the brakes themselves I thought I'd fit rotors that were specifically rated for sintered pads rather than just organic pads. :geek:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:50 pm Swapped the disc rotors on my bikepacking bike for some better quality ones. I'm not sure that it was strictly necessary but as I'd already upgraded the brakes themselves I thought I'd fit rotors that were specifically rated for sintered pads rather than just organic pads. :geek:
What rotors did you get? Are they spline/shimano type compatible
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:15 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:50 pm Swapped the disc rotors on my bikepacking bike for some better quality ones. I'm not sure that it was strictly necessary but as I'd already upgraded the brakes themselves I thought I'd fit rotors that were specifically rated for sintered pads rather than just organic pads. :geek:
What rotors did you get? Are they spline/shimano type compatible
I just went with Shimano SM-RT66 rotors, I've used them before on other bikes and they're decent for not too much money. The ones that were on the bike were only recommended for organic pads but I'd been running them with sintered pads anyway and they'd been okay so far. It's more of a precautionary change tbh. The new discs were 6 bolt not centrelock (straight swap to suit my hubs).
Boab

Post by Boab »

From this:

To this:

Didn't fit the cassette, as the new chain wasn't skipping when I rode up an down the High Street, even when mashing the gears. Also spent a ridiculous amount of time pricing up more worn out parts, like a new bottom bracket, headset, brake pads, tools, etc, etc...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey, GRX hasn't been out for that long and you've already got it rusty and worn :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

htrider wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 pm Blimey, GRX hasn't been out for that long and you've already got it rusty and worn :-bd
🤣 Mostly that's just the colour of the dust from the last long ride I did into The Brecks. That chain had done 5,314.3 km, so I'm still slightly surprised I didn't have to replace the cassette...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 pm Didn't fit the cassette, as the new chain wasn't skipping when I rode up an down the High Street, even when mashing the gears.
They never do on the test ride though do they, no matter how hard you push? They wait until you get just a little bit to far from home... then start skipping on that one sprocket... is that just me?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 pm
K1100T wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 pm Didn't fit the cassette, as the new chain wasn't skipping when I rode up an down the High Street, even when mashing the gears.
They never do on the test ride though do they, no matter how hard you push? They wait until you get just a little bit to far from home... then start skipping on that one sprocket... is that just me?
In my case, I changed cassette and chain just before a 3-day trip and all was well on the test ride. First big hill out of Inverness and I thought there was something wrong with my rear mech. Turned out I had developed chain suck while in the small ring at the front. The rest of the 200km was done with no granny gear. Still, at least it was only 4,000 metres of ascent.
redefined_cycles

K1100T wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 pm
htrider wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 pm Blimey, GRX hasn't been out for that long and you've already got it rusty and worn :-bd
🤣 Mostly that's just the colour of the dust from the last long ride I did into The Brecks. That chain had done 5,314.3 km, so I'm still slightly surprised I didn't have to replace the cassette...
Thats some good mileage... I've gotten into the habit of pushing the chain tool in when I check for wear on the minimal position (0.75) and if it slots in then just change the chain. That way (in my head at least) I feel that my drivetrain lasts alot longer. Cant remember the last time I had chain suck (well, actually I do... was on my SantaCruz Superlight 26er on a canal towpath of Huddersfield maybe about 2012(ish)...
Boab

Post by Boab »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 pm They never do on the test ride though do they, no matter how hard you push? They wait until you get just a little bit to far from home... then start skipping on that one sprocket... is that just me?
I've had that happen in the past, which is why I bought a cassette as well as a chain. Gave it a proper thrashing this morning, with multiple KOMs, so all looking good so far...
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm Thats some good mileage... I've gotten into the habit of pushing the chain tool in when I check for wear on the minimal position (0.75) and if it slots in then just change the chain. That way (in my head at least) I feel that my drivetrain lasts alot longer.
I should really get one of those tools, as I'd rather replace a chain two or three times pre cassette.
Mart

Post by Mart »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm
K1100T wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 pm
Thats some good mileage... I've gotten into the habit of pushing the chain tool in when I check for wear on the minimal position (0.75) and if it slots in then just change the chain. That way (in my head at least) I feel that my drivetrain lasts alot longer. Cant remember the last time I had chain suck (well, actually I do... was on my SantaCruz Superlight 26er on a canal towpath of Huddersfield maybe about 2012(ish)...
my chain tool does 0.5 and 0.75 on the other side so you get a bit of warning before I change the chain
I generally change 3 chains to 1 cassette and have had no problems
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

oh ....
And other than that I swapped my sus forks out on the hard tail and put my carbon forks in
Just fancy a change as I have the bouncer now and wanted to have rigid for a bit of variety
2924 miles per Gallon
Boab

Post by Boab »

Going to turn into the village mechanic at this rate. Friend popped round the other day holding his left crank arm, not sure how he managed to have to fall off. Long story short, he handed me his credit card and asked me to fix it; he nearly got a villa in Crete as well as this lot:

I fitted them yesterday, he went for a ride and didn't die, so all good:

Now someone else is supposedly bringing a second hand £5k road bike they just bought round, as the gears are a bit out at the back... 🙄
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath got some new wheels for her road bike so she's been swapping them over. Front wheel all well and good. Then there's a "I can't get the cassette off". So I have a go. No dice. Even a bit of "Nnnnnnn!" :oops: didn't cut the mustard. Time for some reinforcements in the shape of bar extenders. At which point my chain whip broke :shock:

"When did you last have this cassette off?" - " a couple of years ago".

She's gone into town to get a new cassette and chain ...

I sometimes think my biannual strip down and service is a bit much. Sometimes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Yesterdqy I slipped out on this which was a bit disappointing as its a few miles away and I've been working on it for debatablly 15ish years. Finally I think I'm strong enough to complete all 3 sections of slabs but the rear tyre slipped out !! Pity as its real good in mud.

The entry to this is about 20cm or more deep so as the years have gone by its been getting harder as said entry has washed out to what it is today. Hence was super impressed that I managed to ride straight into and to the slabs from the uphill beneath...

Then the second slipperage out was on the next slabs here... Can't enter via the planks as they're very loose and scary (for me) and the water from the other entry doesn't help... Failed again from the slipperage of rear wheel which i thought I'd gotten dialled in in terms of psi...

So earlier today I removed rear wheel and popped the Maxxis that RestlessShawn restlessly sent me. Went from 850g to 900g. Then removed the front Specialized Grid Slaughter 2.8 for a Minion 2.5 DHF and went from about 1200g to 900g again. So all in all a saving of 250g if I calculate correctly.

Tested on todays ride on a climb which I'm told the locals (I'm from Huddersfield and only moved to Dewsbury about 3 years ago so still acclimatising) call Heart Attack Hill. Good name and I figured as much as I've been working on passing the Wessenden Head climbs by repeatedly attempting this here HAH over the fasting period and any minute I get.

Anyway, result. Didn't manage to climb it all in one go but thats probably cos my psi might need some work (and its hard). But even after the 2 dabs I managed to make it up the segment at only 20 seconds slower than my fastest timw (7.09 mins)...

Result I'd say... Next up the pedals from BDS which will drop me 60ish grams and give 4 entry points of the spd
Mart

Post by Mart »

Creaky seatpost on today’s ride so stripped, cleaned and regreased all the bits.

Surprised me when i pulled the seatpost out the frame. I thought it was well lubed, but it had dried out

Test ride tomorrow :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cleaned it! :-bd

Well it's been so dry the thing's hardly got dirty until the last couple of weeks. The chain on the other hand :shock: :shock: Even on minimum wage I think it might have been cheaper to buy another one. It's had a proper deep clean and I'm now just waiting for it to dry so I can apply lube to it. The only problem is that the only wet lube I've got has been decanted into those small plastic fishes you get with takeaway sushi. Fortunately that's enough to do the chain twice :-bd

Also added more sealant to the tyres. Then checked my trail pump could inflate the tyres.

Might be getting ready for something :wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Took it to an actual bike shop, as I'm fed up trying to sort out the headset...

I'm now going for a long walk to gentle simmer.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm FItted some loop bars to my Cotic Solaris.

Can't believe I've not done this before now. Still undesided as to whether to change the grips to something longer? I do love the Rental grips, but they limit the posible hand positions.

Solaris 01.jpg
Was browsing the thread and saw this. I have this Solaris, been running mine rigid with Travis Prongs for a while now and fitted carbon loops recently. I've run the butted loops on an El Mariachi but had carbon Thomson bars on my Solaris. The carbon loops give me the best of both. I have a set of ally VO crazy casey bars but haven't tried them yet.

I had ESI grips on my previous bars and didn't want the faff of taking them off to get my gear shifter off. Now the shifter is off and I'm using lock on ergon grips changing bars should be a bit easier. Although carbon loops might be staying for a while!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Today I cleaned my bike and pondered two questions.
If horsesh sticks to my tyres like it does why doesn't it stick to the horse?
Is it harder to clean a dusty bike than a muddy one?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

benp1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 pm
chrisjones wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm FItted some loop bars to my Cotic Solaris.

Can't believe I've not done this before now. Still undesided as to whether to change the grips to something longer? I do love the Rental grips, but they limit the posible hand positions.

Solaris 01.jpg
Was browsing the thread and saw this. I have this Solaris, been running mine rigid with Travis Prongs for a while now and fitted carbon loops recently. I've run the butted loops on an El Mariachi but had carbon Thomson bars on my Solaris. The carbon loops give me the best of both. I have a set of ally VO crazy casey bars but haven't tried them yet.

I had ESI grips on my previous bars and didn't want the faff of taking them off to get my gear shifter off. Now the shifter is off and I'm using lock on ergon grips changing bars should be a bit easier. Although carbon loops might be staying for a while!
I started with a pair of borrowed SG Jones bars, which I really liked. I then took them off & got some of the Planet X copies as I had to give the Jones HBs back. The mate I borrowed them from then told me he'd ordered some of the ones with more rise & did I want the Loops for £35. :roll:

The Planet X bars are now waiting to go on something else I'm building up from the parts bin,

I've gone for some foam touring drop bar grips cut to size in the end as they were £6 and I've got enought left over to make another pair.
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Fitted cages to the forks of my Escapade.

I used the Topeak widgets which are suprisingly sturdy. They have 2 zip ties each, but bolting the cage tothem tightens them further. I'm really pleased with the results.
IMG_7996.jpg
(124.91 KiB) Downloaded 993 times
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not to my bike but security to the shed I keep my two bikes in as there's been an increase in thefts locally.
Fitted two extra locks to the door and internal bars to the windows. Next step is some sort of internal shutters so thieves can't see in.

If they do get in they have to contend with this.
https://flic.kr/p/2jj1E34
It's a large paint tub filled with postcrete and a good quality motorcycle lock sunk into it. It weighs a ton and you would need an angle grinder to get through the chain, not a thing I possess so they'd have to bring their own. This secures the good bike with the less expensive bike and a set of heavy folding ladders being locked to the good bike with a u lock and two cable locks. Basically i'm making it as awkward and time consuming as possible for thieves to steal them. Hopefully they'll be put off and go elsewhere.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Turned this:

Into this ...

Yep, take one silly bike and make it even sillier :lol:

I had to use the tensioner since the chain sat exactly halfway between too tight with N links and too loose with N+1 links (the EBB is frozen in place :sad: ). I left the 26T chainring on and went with the only singlespeed cog I have which is 16T but that slips under even the slightest load so I purloined an 18T from an unused cassette and that's fine. Gives a 42" gearing. I'll see how it goes, if it's too low then I've a 28T chainring which would give 45" gearing.