What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

darbeze

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by darbeze »

bike cleaned, chain lubed, crud catcher fitted, GPS mounted, lights charged, bivvi equipment packed and mounted.

Getting ready for this weekend and the BB200...

:shock:

Si
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Remade the rear wheel of the Krampus. The Rohloff it revolves around had temporarily been built as a 27+ second set for the Fargo but i’ve decided to ditch that idea.
Solid construction with some new flange support rings on the Rohloff, SAPIM Race spokes laced with DT Swiss Prolock brass nipples and the old FatLab 55mm rim... workman like , verging in agricultural... just how a Krampus should be!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Switched out the 2.6 DHF front and rear for a faster rolling WTB Ranger 2.8. Fitted bike bags and sleeping bag and made a huge list of stuff to pack. Also stripped my Crank Bros Msllet pedals and packed with grease, fitted new chain and oiled! Ordered some new Shimano MW7 boots for delivery tomorrow....Poured a Gin and relaxed....
Ian

Post by Ian »

Could really do with changing the bottom bracket bearings on the fat bike, but can’t get the crank off. Special crank puller required, you see. :roll:
Which is out of stock until mid November. :|
So, took bolt out, went for a ride to try and loosen it ...and... it’s stuck as a stuck thing on a day out to Stuck Land...

On the flip side, it seems a shame to spoil new BB bearings in 30mm of rain and welsh mud...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:20 pm Remade the rear wheel of the Krampus. The Rohloff it revolves around had temporarily been built as a 27+ second set for the Fargo but i’ve decided to ditch that idea.
Solid construction with some new flange support rings on the Rohloff, SAPIM Race spokes laced with DT Swiss Prolock brass nipples and the old FatLab 55mm rim... workman like , verging in agricultural... just how a Krampus should be!
Is that last minute fettling for the weekends BB... or os it just fettling :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just fettling.
Had give up my BB200 place a while back.
I’m doing senior on call for the whole surgical division Saturday night and funnily enough couldn’t find anyone to swap with... :wink:
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 pm Could really do with changing the bottom bracket bearings on the fat bike, but can’t get the crank off. Special crank puller required, you see. :roll:
Which is out of stock until mid November. :|
So, took bolt out, went for a ride to try and loosen it ...and... it’s stuck as a stuck thing on a day out to Stuck Land...

On the flip side, it seems a shame to spoil new BB bearings in 30mm of rain and welsh mud...
What cranks are they?
Ian

Post by Ian »

They are e*13 ones. I‘ve researched their removal online and they’re easy to knacker the crank even with the tool. I think I’ve figured out how to do it without the proper tool, but I’m only going to get one go at it without destroying the crank...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Weather for the next few days is looking a bit damp and dreary so I fitted the mudguards and the wheels with the WTB Horizons onto the Amazon for some road work.

Had to take it for a wee spin and did 52km in (mostly) sunshine :|
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 pm They are e*13 ones. I‘ve researched their removal online and they’re easy to knacker the crank even with the tool. I think I’ve figured out how to do it without the proper tool, but I’m only going to get one go at it without destroying the crank...
I have the raceface tool if that would work, can bring it to the BB if it's any use.
Ian

Post by Ian »

A kind offer, thanks. Unfortunately the crank is fecked. e*13, in their wisdom, put just three threads for engagement of an extractor tool. Which just strip as soon as you start to tighten it up. The only way it’s coming off now is with a grinder :roll:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm A kind offer, thanks. Unfortunately the crank is fecked. e*13, in their wisdom, put just three threads for engagement of an extractor tool. Which just strip as soon as you start to tighten it up. The only way it’s coming off now is with a grinder :roll:
Power tool time, Eh, good luck!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm A kind offer, thanks. Unfortunately the crank is fecked. e*13, in their wisdom, put just three threads for engagement of an extractor tool. Which just strip as soon as you start to tighten it up. The only way it’s coming off now is with a grinder :roll:
Heat gun and a hide mallet? Or failing that a puller??

Been fiddling with the Straggler tonight although I'm aff it for a while yet until back on speaking terms with knees. Fitted new Giant Gravel King tyres to my winter wheels, fitted new BB, new surly stainless ring (36t) to crank, new sprok (just the one, 18T) with nice shiny coloured spacers from velosolo. New tyres are 45mm and have come up big so a bit tight in the frame and round the 45mm guards. A bit of b*ggering got the wheels spinning freely but the rear is going to rub under extreme single speed cranking.... Hopefully won't be too bad, just need to see if the gearing is right now
Ian

Post by Ian »

htrider wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm
Heat gun and a hide mallet? Or failing that a puller??
Carbon frame, so not keen on the heat bit. Puller won't work as the fit to the BB shell is so flush, there's nothing to get behind to pull. I'll sleep on it, to see if I can think of something clever to try tomorrow.
redefined_cycles

1. Modified my rivetless toptube bag... Lets call it the mark2 and this time I properly let the backing on the 3m mushroom hook n loop stuff set and used less of it.

2. Added myself the rear Mudhugger and thanks to Duncan gave it a mod to make the Mudhugger Shorty almost same length as an frx :-bd saved at least a fiver over and fr and at least around a tenner over a proper rear Mudhugger... Lets call it the BB200- shitometer... the clear plastic extension will hopefully do some measurements until I can upgrade for something a bit wider :grin:

3. Added sealant to front tyre...

4. Whilst the wheel was off I swapped out the shimano pads for some Ubers... still seemed to have life left but some juddering on last ride around the pennine bridleway (Sue Ryder Trust Brone Challenge of which I went Heathcliffe) towards the last 3 miles of 38.... was a lot of mud and had thought the forks were knackered but hopefully not as a clean (might have) sorted it all :smile:

5... Stood Stan up for the photoshoot and ongoing is the Q... do I take the full frame or half frame or none at all :???: ... will have water on back and sleeping kit on front harness...
redefined_cycles

Ian... you do mean a Dremel type grinder right :smile:

If you did decide to try heat (dependent on the metals used I suppose hence probably not that use on them cranks I'd imagine) then one of them cloth heatshields could be your friend... summat like this: https://www.amazon.com/NAC-INDUSTRIAL-B ... B01CIKMTVW
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Ive;

Replaced front and rear pads.

Replaced chain.

Replaced cassette.

Mounted gps.

Mounted light.

Packed saddle bag.

Fitted new tyres.

All of this doesn't make me feel any more confident for this weekend.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Did a night ride and tested new Shimano MW7 Goretex boots. Very impressed, feel super comfy - like slippers and very warm and dry.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I found out that the sllightly trimmed down rear rack (he said Jehova!!!) for my old fatbike may not fit the rear of my new frame, but it goes perfectly up front.

6 h making templates of cardboard last night for the upcoming expedition where I'm planning to carry to TLS*

The fatbike frame is morphing into a madmax version of a bicycle

*Take Loads of Sh!t
FLV

Post by FLV »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am
The fatbike frame is morphing into a madmax version of a bicycle
Going to need pics of course :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I'll post some when the flame thrower is installed :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Put the chain on properly as its routed round the rear mech the wrong way. Install super fancy brand new Swissstop pads, if I can find them.....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Continuing with the Krampus.
New front wheel built with FatLab 55mm rim, SAPIM Race, and Schmidt SON hub.
Swapped on the steel forks from my Fargo so I can raise the front end to get the Loops up level with my saddle.
Taking shape nicely for its first outing in a couple of weeks.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:07 pm Continuing with the Krampus.
New front wheel built with FatLab 55mm rim, SAPIM Race, and Schmidt SON hub.
Swapped on the steel forks from my Fargo so I can raise the front end to get the Loops up level with my saddle.
Taking shape nicely for its first outing in a couple of weeks.
Where's its first outing may we ask please sir? :???:
redefined_cycles

But more importantly... what are your nipples looking like :lol: