Does this Garmin mount exist?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Does this Garmin mount exist?

Post by pistonbroke »

On the back of the G clip success, thought I'd try this poser.
Recently bought a Garmin Edge Explore which works well with on the go recharging via a power bank-dynamo setup. The only issue is that the usb port exits right behind the 1/4 turn mount so is awkward to mount onto the stem. It can be done using a right angle usb cable but I'm trying to find a top cap or stem mount where you don't turn the gps when mounting, the ones in the pic below have a lever to turn the mount rather than the unit but are designed for Tri bars so the clip dia is too small, they also cost around €50 which is mental.
Any ideas?
redefined_cycles

Re: Does this Garmin mount exist?

Post by redefined_cycles »

I use the standard garmin mount from my old edge. It allows me to recharge my wahoo on the go which has the port right behind the device...

Actually, I seem to remember dealing with your problem when i had my garmin and the interface of charging port..

Woukd this work??

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571684#overview

Or this...

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-trace
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

An out front mount doesn't work as there's so much clutter towards the middle of my bars with lights, bar roll accessory bag,feed bag etc. Basically I want to plug the gps in, place it in the mount and lock it in place rather than turn it 1/4 turn. I may have to compromise with a top cap mount but that then interferes with my bag on the top tube. The usb port is underneath the unit right by the mount rather than exiting rearwards as on the Edge Touring.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Why not leave the Edge mount permanently attached but use the elastic bands to take it on and off?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
HUX

Post by HUX »

Hi Duncan. Sorry cant help with the mount. Just wondered what battery you use with your dynamo setup?!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Given the lack of space between the mount and the unit, it would be very fiddly to undo the bands Dave, I've had a play but with my fat fingers, that's a no go. I've considered the top cap mount but it puts the unit at a fixed position which limits visibility when the sun is at certain angles.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Re battery Hux, I've got 2 bikes set up with dynamo and buffer battery, the gravel bike has a 2,000mAh that allows pass through charging, it's a Juice Cube I got for a fiver from Maplins about 2 years ago. On the mountainbike where wheel rpm is slower, I use a Portapow 10,000mAh which again can be charged as well as being left plugged into the gps. The gravel bike has a Lovemud Juice dynamo and the mountainbike has a Shimano Alfine which has been faultless for 6 years.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Cheers Duncan. Will take a look :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You might struggle to find the Juice Cube Hux, the reason I tried it was that the charging port is a mini usb that is compatible with my Kemo switch/rectifier, had a look for 1 recently and there was only a few on Ebay at £20. Also I'm not sure if Portapow is still available, when I bought mine, thet wouldn't ship to Spain but I collected it from my BIL when I came back.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm assuming that the USB connector on the Explore is the same as other Edge units. On my 510 the angle up/down (can never remember which is which) connector protrudes about 11mm below the body of the device. Centre of quarter mount connector to centre of USB connector is 30mm. Any "out front" type mount would have to account for this and either have the quarter turn part of the mount raised or offset to one side or have a slot in the support arm for the cable to push through.

With the connector in place I can mount/unmount the 510 on the standard quarter turn mount (mounted on the bar top) with no fouling so I can't foresee a problem with using a top cap style quarter mount.

Maybe a DrJon style spacer for the mount to bike part of the devices shown in the pic? Then the Garmin would sit "above" the stem.

The Edge series are designed to mount using the quarter turn so fighting against that will always be a problem. In fact I'd go so far as to say you'd be creating a problem that you then have to solve!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Try to make sure that anything you get has a nylon mount. There maybe some steel type mounts about, these tend to wear the body on the Garmin so it becomes lose & eventually unusable...
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!