Double Bagging For Extra Protection Ooh Er!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Double Bagging For Extra Protection Ooh Er!!!

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey up

So I'm thinking my next bivvy is a solo one. #5 in total, but it's looking like it might be quite chilly. Maybe -4. My bag is rated to -6 but if i was cold, apart from pressups there's nothing I could do.

I have a couple of options ;

•Use my OEX 7-2 degree bag inside my cumulus 0- -6 as well as extra layers along with using a bivvy bag.

•use water from the lake for making a bit water bottle

I'll be using a DD Superlight tarp, because its all that I have. There is a chance of a bit of snow. But not a big chance.

What do you think guys, any input is greatly appreciated!!
ianfitz

Re: Double Bagging For Extra Protection Ooh Er!!!

Post by ianfitz »

Yes bag and bag or quilt can work nicely. It’s my go-to winter system.

The hot water trick is a good one too
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ianfitz wrote:Yes bag and bag or quilt can work nicely. It’s my go-to winter system.

The hot water trick is a good one too

Good to know that I'm not being silly thinking of that! Thank you.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just make sure that the outer bag is big enough to fit over the inner without compressing the insulation in either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just make sure that the outer bag is big enough to fit over the inner without compressing the insulation in either.
Good point. Although being small enough to allow the down to loft inwards works too
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just make sure that the outer bag is big enough to fit over the inner without compressing the insulation in either.
Good point. Although being small enough to allow the down to loft inwards works too
I don't have that option :oops:

Last night's bivy used PHD Minim 200 with Cumulus 150 as a wrapper. Was toasty warm :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

-4C overnight using my MH Phantom 32 (T Comfort 2C / T Limit -2C) and a Montane Prism jacket. Was pretty snug though the area around my head got damp as my breath condensed on it (a disadvantage of no breeze).

If it had been breezy, I'd have been a bit too chilly - i.e. take windchill into account when planning sleeping system. A windproof outer/sheltered pitch/judicious tarp can make all the difference.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote:
ianfitz wrote:
I don't have that option :oops:

Last night's bivy used PHD Minim 200 with Cumulus 150 as a wrapper. Was toasty warm :-bd
Whats the lowest temps youd risk taking this this system in bags in please Bob... I'm assuming the phd minim is sub400g and the cumulus 150 must be close to 300g or 250... (nice)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm fine to -6C in it. The Minim is this one - https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-200-spring-sale-2019 The Cumulus 150 weighs 370g or thereabouts.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Bob... good system that there then at sub800g and very compressible for an arguably 4 seasons bag (when combined)...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Aye never thought of that , good stuff!! :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:I'm fine to -6C in it. The Minim is this one - https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-200-spring-sale-2019 The Cumulus 150 weighs 370g or thereabouts.
I use a similar system but I am a cold sleeper. Bobs setup would be good down to 0 for me. My 4season setup would need to be warmer than that.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ianfitz wrote:
whitestone wrote:I'm fine to -6C in it. The Minim is this one - https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-200-spring-sale-2019 The Cumulus 150 weighs 370g or thereabouts.
I use a similar system but I am a cold sleeper. Bobs setup would be good down to 0 for me. My 4season setup would need to be warmer than that.

I've got a cumulus Panyam 450 about 850g but I was just wondering IF I was a bit cold weather that would be good.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If you leave the second bag behind, but take an extra clothes (e.g. down jacket, insulated trousers), said clothes can also be worn when not sleeping so double as emergency layers/something to wear when pitching a tent, cooking, etc. Might be worth bearing in mind.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

thenorthwind wrote:If you leave the second bag behind, but take an extra clothes (e.g. down jacket, insulated trousers), said clothes can also be worn when not sleeping so double as emergency layers/something to wear when pitching a tent, cooking, etc. Might be worth bearing in mind.
Thanks buddy, thought about insulated trousers, though money is a little tight at the minute, so I was hoping to use my down jacket, layers, and bag(s) as a get me through the next bivvy before weather gets a tiny bit warmer. Started in november, but missed december due to man flu, so I don't want to buy much more winter stuff until I really need too...