Braunton 150 prep.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Braunton 150 prep.

Post by lune ranger »

The B150 website isn't being updated this year and I don't use Facebook and there is nowt on the Twitter feed.
Is any information starting to come out yet? Like the start time, compulsory kit (if any) and when a gpx might appear.
Who's riding this year?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Re: Braunton 150 prep.

Post by sean_iow »

The Facebook page says group start is 09:30 on Saturday 4th May.

I can't seem to copy the entry list using my phone but my name is down. I assume the gpx will be emailed out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Sean
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just been looking at a map of the 2016 route which I'm guessing is not a lot different to this years.
Does it go basically clockwise, i.e. along the coast first or anticlockwise and inland first.
WSC
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Anti clockwise, over the Moor first then a stunning ride following the North Devon coast, a nice route!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thought so. Nice. I've ridden most of the route at one time or another. Mostly in the opposite direction. Never the coastal stuff west of the Doone valley though. At my rate of progress should be riding that at dawn/morning I guess. Looking forward to that.
WSC
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

The group start is as indicated on the FB page. Will email/FB/Twitter out route the week before. If anyone has any specific questions please just let me know. Cheers.
Clink

Post by Clink »

Myself and mate unable to make group start so we are going to give it a go later this week. We were thinking of starting in Minehead as it’s the closest point to drive to, but is the route ‘better’ from Braunton? My other question was clockwise/anti-clockwise but that’s been answered. The only gpx I could find was here https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=yj ... anguage=en
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just compared the gpsies route to the one I rode in 2017 and there are some differences between them. I have the 2017 route, which was actually revised again shortly before the start if I remember correctly. If you PM me an email address I can send it to you. Or you could contact Ben (biggaygibbon) and ask him for the current route in case there are any changes.

The 2017 route went through a section of woods that wasn't on a right of way as it was a downhill course and I think that's staying in.

As for the start location, you'd have to check if starting in Minehead is allowed if you want to record an official time. Starting in Brauton should hopefully mean a tailwind for the outward leg but that does mean a headwind back... but by then you've got to keep going to get back to your car :smile: The other advantage with starting in Brauton is that the last 8 miles are then a nice flat run in the finish, although a Minehead start would make the last section downhill.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

The 2017 route is the latest route. This years will be a little different again. The 'downhill' course is staying in. You can start wherever you like on the loop as long as you complete it self supported.

Cheers
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Do you have a link to the 2017 route so I can do a bit of planning?
Will there be an opportunity to leave some kit at the start, maybe at the cafe, for the duration of the ride.
It's likely that I'm going to ride to the event and will want to lighten my load for the sctual B150.
WSC
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnxVMLymUgw-0yZ8vHgIzUWYZmX0

Am not sure about leaving kit at the cafe but you are welcome to leave some stuff at my place.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Cheers Ben.
WSC
Clink

Post by Clink »

Just ridden the route over 3 ‘relaxing’ days. Absolutely stunning ride, helped by brilliant conditions. Massive respect to anyone riding it in the times posted for the group ride. Just a heads up that (if we have the right section) the ‘downhill’ course bit is largely unrideable due to felling with blocked trails.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Looking at re-supply options on route.
As far as I can make out on a 24hr pace you would be lucky to get food past Minehead on Saturday and will probably be too early for anywhere to be open on Sunday morning until the end.
Anyone know anything different?
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In 2017 I did it in 26 hours and a bit and Minehead was the last place I passed that was open on the first day, although it was Good Friday as it was run at Easter that year.

I did get some supplies at a shop on Saturday morning just before 07:00 when they were opening but would have to look up where and if aiming to finish in under 24 hrs you'd need to be past it by opening anyway.

I'm hoping for a sub 24 hr ride and planning on Minehead being my last resupply point.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Porlock, 30km and 2 big hills from Minehead. Shops still open + bars and restaurants. I was on a 22 hour ride and found the One stop store open until 10pm. Leaving Minehead before 7pm will get you in time.
After that, no more food
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks guys, that confirms what I thought. Unsure as to how realistic 24hrs is for me but that’s what i’m shooting for.
WSC