SixMoonsDes Deschutes DCF

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

SixMoonsDes Deschutes DCF

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not another shelters thread I heard you say. Sorry :-bd

So I've followed the various thread on shelters and eventually decided on this badboy as its similar to the Connoisseurs Choice (ie. Stu highly rates the heavier and possibly slightly smaller Gatewood version).

Reason why I'm going for the Deschutes and in cuben is that in my understanding it'd be stronger and less saggy than the sinylon (or whatever it is) of the standard Gatewood and also thought it might be slightly more robust.

So, anyone got any thoughts to share whilst I'm still sellong away as much gear as I can afford to whilst I saves up for it.

It'll be used for both seasons (we only really have winter and spring right! :geek: ) and am hoping it might even be big enough for one of the little ones to fit inside aswell (so essentially it would be doing the job of a Gatewood/Zpacks and a standard tarp...

Over to you please Mr and Ms Bear(s) :-bd

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collecti ... tes-zero-g
restlessshawn

Re: SixMoonsDes Deschutes DCF

Post by restlessshawn »

I have an old SMD wild oasis, like a cape but with netting at the bottom. Not terribly relevant other than I think it's a great tarp, have had it for years with no plans to change. Actually I slept under it on Monday night :-bd

Was also the first outing of your red tangle, fits my ritchey like a glove :)
redefined_cycles

restlessshawn wrote:I have an old SMD wild oasis, like a cape but with netting at the bottom. Not terribly relevant other than I think it's a great tarp, have had it for years with no plans to change. Actually I slept under it on Monday night :-bd

Was also the first outing of your red tangle, fits my ritchey like a glove :)
Nope... totally relevant. Tells me that investing heavy in an SMD is gonna keep me pretty pleased. Glad the RD is gping well. I'm missing already and plan on getting a Revelate as a toptube bag. Thanks Shaun...
redefined_cycles

Oh... My first choice is obviously gonna be the Gatewood cape but reading bout materials it seems the dyneema doesnt suffer from needing to be reproofed issues and stuff like that. Its the 0.74 version
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Had a standard Deschutes for nearly three years now - its survived strong wind, heavy rain and strong wind and heavy rain. Plenty of space inside, works well with the mesh inner to make a proper tent, or with just a groundsheet or with a Borah bivvy or similar. Light, compact and pitches fairly easily with a bit of practice. Works well with a BB 10mm dia carbon pole. If you pitch it right there is no issues with sagginess but like all single pole tarp tents it is a bit flappy in the wind. Highly recommended.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apart from a (fairly small) reduction in weight, you're not going to gain much by choosing cuben. Generally, it packs bigger than sil' and while stronger in some regards, it isn't in others ... very poor with abrasion for example. It's true that it doesn't stretch but that can mean it's harder to put up well.

As for reproofing, there's no good reason why you should ever need to reproof a sil' shelter really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The Deschutes is a Lunar Solo without the inner, I have both, as well as the mesh inner for the Deschutes.

If you intend buying the inner tent as well and only using it as a tent I'd strongly recommend buying a Lunar Solo instead. The separate inner gives much less space than the Lunar Solo, it's a rectangle and doesn't make any use of the space at the rear of the tent and it's shorter. I'm six foot and can easily fit a mat and all my kit inside the Lunar Solo with plenty of room to spare, the Deschutes and inner tent there's just about enough room to sleep, any kit gets left outside, the difference between the two setups is huge. (The reason I have the inner is that wifey uses it sometimes).

As a tarp it's great. Plenty of floor space, a small child using a child sized sleeping mat should be possible but will probably be very tight, not having children I'm guessing. Both can be pitched low to the ground by angling the pole a bit to reduce head height, or left at normal height for ventilation. Not as versatile as a flat tarp but you do get an easy to pitch item with a zip door. If I'm going to be kipping in the woods I take a flat tarp instead.

The usual thing with silnylon is to re-tension the tent/tarp after it's been pitched a while. Do this and you shouldn't get any sagging. Buying cuben is lot of money over the standard one to save 100g or so.

If you're doing the WRT I'll bring mine along.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Gatewood plus child would imo be pushing it a bit.
There is just about enough floor space I guess but it would be a tight package.
One for clement weather.
I hope your kids don't wriggle as much as mine. Think I'd want to tie my kids up in that situation for fear they would squirm the main pole down at stupid o'clock in the morning.
No bikepacking with my girls so far but my preferred bivi option with them is a XL DD tarp - loads of cover for play space and they always think it's more of an adventure than the tent
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Big fan of the silnylon Deschutes.
I'd too fancy the cuben version (for little practical reasons though), but it wasn't available at the time and now... can't quite justify it...

A friend makes shelters and I got to use two cuben ones and well... special. I've seen how fast they get punctured (though fixing holes on cuben is dead easy) and can't see myself taking care when packing it or pitching it (flapping in wind), on the other hand much like how taught cuben shelters pitch and how light they are. Packing size is indeed about the same to silnylon.
Whilst I agree with Stu about the benefits of higher flexibility in pitching sil nylon - I more often would prefer more taught seam lines and panels.
A well made cuben shelter pitches very impressively. They cope better with wind.

I've made some attachment points to my silnylon Deschutes inside and out, changed a few tiny things like better handling for the front line/closure and larger loops for the stakes and all in all with all lines it's very close to 400 g but holds up really well in the wind. I'd do the same mods on the cuben version.

Quite a few nights out skimo this winter and in autumn I took it to a Munro bagging trip, going over ridgelines for 10 days, just when Helene (and the even fiercer gale afterwards) struck.
Not always I found a well sheltered spot but the Deschutes was quite alright.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:As for reproofing, there's no good reason why you should ever need to reproof a sil' shelter really.
There is. After 2 - 3 years of intensive use (>100 nights) some sil shelters will let spray pass the fabric during a thunderstorm or in wind driven rain.
I've had to reproof two shelters so far.
Best part is, you only need silicone (diy store), solvent (pure benzine) and a paint roller and/or brush. Dilute the silicone to about 1:20 in the solvent and off you go.
Ours were as good as new.
Silicone lasts much longer than PU but especially high altitude sun and generally lots of use will break down the coating eventually. By that time I can imagine a cuben shelter will have needed quite some patches - at least how I use shelters, packing in wind on abrasive surfaces (hard and rough snow, volcanic surfaces etc.).
The cuben used for the Deschutes will definately not be more robust than the silnylon Deschutes.
More stable in the wind likely, but quite surely not as robust longterm.

That said, if you treat cuben with care it may well give you many happy nights.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

For me a shelter for uk summer use needs to have an inner - midges! As others have said built in mesh will be more spacious and lighter. But only if you need it...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just had an email to say Gatewood Cape now back in stock at SMD
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For my cost-benefit analysis I wouldn't go DCF in this instance. The silnylon Deschutes is 370g, the DCF version is 227g, that's not a big saving when the price more than doubles. Remember that that's outer only, add the 312g for the net inner and the weights become 682g and 539g. The Gatewood weighs 284g so with the inner would be 596g.

I've not seen a UK cost for the DCF Deschutes but if it follows the same pattern as the other SMD products it's going to be £400+. The silnylon version is £185, the Gatewood is £150.

For a different comparison the smallest Alpkit tarp is £59 for 300g whereas the Trekkertent DCF tarp at the same size is £155 for 125g, so roughly 1.8g/£. The weight saving on the Deschutes costs 0.6g/£.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks all for your excellent inluy as always... in this instance (especially since I've already managed to bag a Borah 200g bag) it would appear that the smart mans choice would be to go for the SMD Lunar solo.. Especially since its (as pointed out above) actually the deschutes with a fitted inner (so the mesh is only costing around 50 quid extra if we go ny the Ultralighoutdoorgear prices....).

Add poles from Stu and I imagine (the older version) the full weight of the Luna solo comes to 750g (+/- 20g cosidering stakes/lines).

:-bd
redefined_cycles

The lunar solo seems to come in a version with heavier floor and there's one review i read where the person mwntions that he went with the LE (heavier floor version which is now discon) one cos it had a heavier floor and he need not take a footprint as water might come through...

Is that true (it would mean yhe difference of trying to get the older 680g version or upgraded 740g version as the 680g is also discontinued now)...

?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've not heard anyone complain about water coming through the floor of a Lunar in either form.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I used to have the Le version, great tent, never had water come through the floor...