Who’s brand ‘loyal’ ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Who’s brand ‘loyal’ ?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t think of a better word, but who’s brand loyal?

I’m either loyal, lack imagination or I like collecting things of the same!! Either way, I always have default brands I turn to when new kit or kit browsing is in order.

Examples - Arcteryx, the fit is great on me, been using for over a dozen or so years and the clothing/equipment just works. My first purchase from them still looks like new despite it getting hammered.

Raph@ clothing, almost ten years since my first purchase and as above with arcteryx, good fit and lasts well. Bought into the brand as back then all the road kit had more fluro than the average weekend enduro rider now... :wink:

Salsa cycles - this is what sparked my thoughts to brand loyalty. Had a few pass my way and they’ve been brilliant. Whenever a new one is posted/released, I’m always keen to view it/want it :lol: and that’s despite that I can’t tell the difference between the two new full suspension bikes :-bd

And I started running last year and I’m quickly making my way through the Salomon range...

Just call me a marketing persons dream !
psling

Re: Who’s brand ‘loyal’ ?

Post by psling »

I wouldn't say I was "brand loyal" but there are certain brands that I do seem to favour. I don't mind paying for quality in the knowledge that it will fit well and last a long time with care. Equally I have a selection of Ron Hill, Parrot, and Altura kit that has served well over the years at a very reasonable purchase price.
I do tend to hang on to stuff for a long time; some of my kit is over 20 years old, some (for example my Phoenix bivvy bag) much older than that.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Brands I have brought before and have had good experience with are going to get a better chance of me buying something else from them but not blindly and without consideration. I think that the service you get in someway makes up for a slightly defective design as well. For example, some slight ham-fistedness let to me cracking a brand new (plastic) magura mt5 master cylinder. Despite my feeling that an alloy part would have been a much better design, the help I got from them was vaguely exciting and next time a need a new brakeset they will be right at the top of the list. Assuming they are reasonably priced of course...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I prefer hope [if i can afford it] and all my bikes have time pedals,

Clothes wise all my kit is ether one of
1) aldi
2) whatever was on special offer- fair amount of polaris kit for this reason
3) expensive because its waterproof

I do have some expensive shorts for long days but they were 75% off .

I dont think [ aldi and polaris aside] i have either bikes [ or saddles]that are from the same manufacturer
All my bags are from different manufacturers as well, I am not even loyal over the shimano sram shifters having both sets [ on drop bar as well as MTB]- - I suspect the manufacturers hate me

I can join your club though as i have a salsa bike . :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I guess I do stick with products from brands I know and trust but more importantly I know how to hold a grudge!
If I've bought something crap or had bad customer service from a shop or brand they will definitely never see any of my money again. Even if I have to go out of my way to avoid them/it.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Solo

Post by Solo »

Certainly (sadly?) I am. Especially to brands that I have good experiences / dealings with.

Surly and Cotic in terms of bikes spring to mind.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not necessarily brand "loyal" but there are brands that I'll look to first, Hope for example.

20yr old kit? Pah! I've a Mountain Equipment fleece jacket that is pushing 30 years :shock: There's one tiny hole in it and that's with something like 200 days a year usage. It refuses to die! :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Good that you mention Salomon. I had years of trying and wearing ill-fitting hiking boots, developing blisters and other foot problems. I eventually got around to some Salomons and they fitted me really well (using a slightly different last to most others). As a result, almost all my walking/leisure/running footwear is Salomon. I know the fit so well that I can order them online without having to try them on first. This is an example of finding something that works well and sticking to it.

Another example would be Endura clothing. I've owned quite a few bits, I know the sizing and I have an expectation of quality and longevity. As a result it's one of the first brands I investigate when looking for something new. I have similar experience of Gore Bikewear, though I expect even more of it given the price premium.

I can think of many other examples where I have chosen to stick with one manufacturer - Exposure lights (+1 that they share the same mounts), Revelate luggage (+1 that they are designed to work together as regards strap placement etc). Shimano brakes/gears (commonality of tools, pads, etc)

However, I also feel that it is important to sometimes reach out for other ideas. My bikes are a complete mix - I don't have two of the same brand. I doubt that the best/most appropriate bike in all the categories I use are made by the one manufacturer. I'll often try the occasional item of clothing from another brand to see what it's like (Tenn turned out to be a mistake - Polaris has become one of my favourites).

There is also something of the collector in many of us. If it's not stamps, it might as well be bikes!

Edit: and Planet X/On One over my dead body. a company that turned lying into an artform
psling

Post by psling »

whitestone wrote: 20yr old kit? Pah! I've a Mountain Equipment fleece jacket that is pushing 30 years :shock: There's one tiny hole in it and that's with something like 200 days a year usage. It refuses to die! :grin:
Mountain Equipment was good stuff. I have a Karrimor Alpiniste fleece from that era, still have the snap on hood too! I think one of my oldest bits of kit is a Buffalo Mountain Shirt from the early 80s which still sees occasional use on the coldest days :smile:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As for loyalty, I'm won over more by peoples thinking and attitude than I am by their products. Products come and go and what's fantastic today is old-hat tomorrow but the way people conduct themselves hopefuly remains far longer.

When it comes to pricing, I feel that I have a decent understanding that cost and value are two different things and cheap doesn't usually equate to bargain. Although, as soon as I feel someone is taking the piss / cashing in / exploiting customer loyalty (or gullibilty), then I'm out like a shot and never to be seen again.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Brand loyal to Surly (I do have four of them) definitely. I like there bikes as there idiot / bomb-proofness suits me perfectly. I've alos met a few of them and they all seem like decent folk making bikes for the right reasons.
I'm loyal to Jones too I suppose (you kind of have to be to lay out that kind of wedge) as he's the only one bucking the geo trends and they suit my dodgy back very well.....
I tend to only use shimano gears, shifters and brakes but I don't feel much loyalty to them - its just a case of it works and its reasonably priced.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:As for loyalty, I'm won over more by peoples thinking and attitude than I am by their products. Products come and go and what's fantastic today is old-hat tomorrow but the way people conduct themselves hopefuly remains far longer.
That's partly why I stick with Hope. OK, it helps that they are just a few miles away from us but when we've had problems the response has been spot on: replacement part sent out (free of charge) for a product that I had bought second hand; products well out of warranty repaired and sent back by return post, again no charge.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

So true about Hope basically you know it will still work/have parts in about 20 years time - dont think they do XC hub parts anymore but may be wrong - mine are still going no idea how many thousands of miles they have done
Planet X/On One over my dead body.
sometimes their deals [ for things they have not made] are so good they cannot be ignored

2 x goma tyres and a camelbak water bottle for a tenner springs to mind

still took 4 online exchanges with customer services to get them though
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Schwalbe Magic Mary. Started riding them when they were released as Muddy Mary.
Love them. Other Schwalbe products not so much, except for the new Racing Ralph/Ray

Rab Boreas. Best piece of clothing. I have three. All in different stages of falling apart/bleached from the sun & use - being in one piece and looking new.

Swissstop disc pads.
Organic or sintered - they get more out of my brakes, make less noise etc.

Oakley glasses. The Prism stuff is a visual enhancement. Absolutely amazing. I'm complicated when it comes to glasses, but Oakley... yeah definately brand whore.

Selle Italia SLR TT.

Pro Dual Lock Race grips, 35 mm.

Dynafit for skimo gear (skis, boots, bindings).

Bike brands... meh. What ever rides nice. Bold have really done a great job and went quite a bit further, only to make another customer happy.
Really good people behind the brand. At the moment I'd very likely stick with them should I need a new trail bike. But basically I go back and forth between brands.

The most bought brand for my bikes must be Kona.
Since 2016 they - again - have some seriously good bikes... took them about 8 - 9 years - im which I didn't own one for a reason or two.

Other parts I tend to stick to;
Hope for head sets - shame they have no angle set.
DT Swiss for hubs
SRAM for drivetrain
Lightbicycle rims

and oh my... Garmin.
I liked their old e-trek series, foretrex.
Now Edge and the superb InReach mini.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

We're defo Rahpa fans for cycle clothing. They do some brilliant stuff and I love looking smart rather than one step from homeless.

Most other stuff I'm always willing to experiment with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

McVitie's - nobody else can make digestives properly.

( this thread is a product placement executive's dream :) )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

( presumably a brand disloyalty thread might cause us some libel issues? ;) )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yes, very much so
Hope for hubs and brakes - just seem to last for ever. My oldest Pro2 hub is from 2007 and still on original bearings, and hubs easy to re-use. Another pair of hubs have been 26QR, 29 QR twice and are now 700c x bolt thru and are similar age to the other hub.
King for headsets - I have some that are 15 years old and still perfect.
Brooks for saddles. Thomson for finishing kit. Maxxis for tyres.
For equipment I am a massive Alpkit fan, they are everything Planetx could be, but are not. Cheap, excellent customer service, reliable products.

I used to be a huge Salsa fanboy as I loved their bikes and had 3 in the garage, but supply and cost mean I dont own any now. I still only ever use Salsa seatclamps though.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The only thing I think I buy repeatedly when needed are alpkit bibshorts/tights ,they are the only ones I've found that fit perfectly for my rotund short legged frame ,and they seem to last a eternity ( not good for alpkit but great for me)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm a combination of loyal customer and lazy shopper.

If I find something that works for me then I keep replacing it with the same until it either no longer works for me, the price goes up or the quality goes down.

With some companies I give them more chances because I like how they do things or their eco credentials etc...

With other brands I'll not give them a penny of my money even though their products might be great.

Examples are:

I've been buying the same pair of Howies jeans for coming up to 20 years.

I only own Innov8 trainers for walking, running working and biking (but only ever bought when on sale) as I like their fit, feel, grip and weight.

I'm a massive fan of Cotic bikes (currently own 3) and so would look there if in the market for something new but would obviously only buy of it suited my needs.

I love Hope stuff but fell out of love with their brakes a few years ago and so stopped buying them. The reason for not re-giving them a go is that I've been using Shimano ever since and they're cheaper and I've had no issues (but well aware that they're inferior brakes).

I'm the same with food items, tools for work and pretty much every other area of my life.
Last edited by gairym on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Post by ton »

surly seem to be one I choose often.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

exposure get my money all day(night maybe) long when i need lights.

Angus bike chain get my money where i can for being ace people.

things i dislike -

Altura clothing - Variance in sizing across models of the same size mean no more.

Cat eye lights - seem to let water in for fun and are pricy.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I always buy Tunnocks tea cakes, McVities Jaffa cakes and Marmite. Everything else is up for grabs.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you buy from the same brands because of the service/quality/value/fit etc. then is that brand loyalty or just wise purchasing?

I buy from the same group of brands for the above reasons.

The only brand I would say where I buy out of loyalty would be inov8. I keep buying their running shoes despite the fact that the uppers fail and holes appear at the creases after about 400 miles. I've gone through 4 pairs in recent years but I keep buying more.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote:If you buy from the same brands because of the service/quality/value/fit etc. then is that brand loyalty or just wise purchasing?

I buy from the same group of brands for the above reasons.

The only brand I would say where I buy out of loyalty would be inov8. I keep buying their running shoes despite the fact that the uppers fail and holes appear at the creases after about 400 miles. I've gone through 4 pairs in recent years but I keep buying more.
Yeah, I suppose brand loyalty is continuing to buy stuff that's crap just because it's made by X. Subtly different from buying from companies that make decent kit. There's also: company that used to make good stuff but got bought out and now the "brand" is just cheap crap labelled up.

I think many of us would have said Wildcat, definitely a case of check there first for baggage needs.