Tubeless

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nobby

Tubeless

Post by nobby »

I came across this: http://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -tubeless/
and shortly after received a tyre from Stuart that has been used tubeless.

Is the method used by gypsybytrade the standard or best way to make up a tubeless wheel and tyre, and is it worth doing?
Any information appreciated.
cheers
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tubeless

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do it in true cheapskate fashion.

1/ Cut the valve out of an old tube ... leave about 1/2" of rubber around the valve.

2/ Place valve in rim. Use a little silicone sealer between the valve and rim.

3/ Give the rim 3 good wraps of normal insulation tape ... remembering to pop a hole through the tape/valve.

4/ Fit tyre and add 150ml of sealant, blow tyre up and away you go. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The method in the link seems a lot of faff, could be fatbike tyres are more hassle?

I use Roval tubeless tape (£10 roll is plenty for 10s of rims) and roval or superstarvalves (£6 or £7 a pair).

The one thing I'd do differently from S8tannorm is try pumping it up before adding the fluid as if you cant get it to inflate then you'll have to get the goop out and put it somewhere! Something to help the tyres slide when inflating such as proper tyre lube or car shampoo is also a good idea.

Good luck!
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks both.
I will ponder this and try to decide if I am brave enough BUT what are the gains of being tubeless and do they apply to road bikes as well?
I've been using Schwalbe Marathon's of various types the last five years and only had two punctures and one of those was my own fault (dropped a washer between tube and tyre during a tube change and 20 miles later had cut a neat 5mm hole through the tube. I feel better now that I have admitted it :) )
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Weight is generally less, I just use "normal" tyres and the tubeless tape can't weigh more than the regular rimtape. A couple of cups of goop must weigh less than a tube. After that puncture resistance is generally improved. A thorn stuck in the tyre will seal up, in a tube it'll pop it.

I've had a tyrewall slit that wouldn't seal but a tube would've gone as well. I just patched the tyre not the tube in that situation.
nobby

Post by nobby »

johnnystorm wrote:Weight is generally less, I just use "normal" tyres and the tubeless tape can't weigh more than the regular rimtape. A couple of cups of goop must weigh less than a tube. After that puncture resistance is generally improved. A thorn stuck in the tyre will seal up, in a tube it'll pop it.

I've had a tyrewall slit that wouldn't seal but a tube would've gone as well. I just patched the tyre not the tube in that situation.
Can I ask what you carry for puncture/tyre repair?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

nobby wrote: Can I ask what you carry for puncture/tyre repair?
Does anyone who has gone tubeless still carry a tube in case of dire emegency? Would those of you who have gone tubeless ever consider going back?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I still carry a tube in case I rip the tyre. The goo generally does the job though.

I would always run tubeless where possible. Forgot the other advantage, running at 25psi feels grippier but less draggy than with tubes.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've been tubeless for years ever since i lived in the lakes. I used to get an average of one puncture per ride, now its hardly ever. I still carry one tube just in case on normal rides, sometimes 2 on longer rides.

I have once ripped a Tyre and then had the valve totally jammed and took ages to cut away the rubber from the valve, glad I had a little leather man too that day.

I don't know how much of a difference it actually feels but I can definately get away with lower pressures. Just don't go too super light on the sidewalls is all
slarge

Post by slarge »

Tubeless is the future! My MTBs are all tubeless, but with standard tyres. I use 24" inner tubes (Schwalbe as they have removable valve cores) split all the way round and used as a rim strip, fit the tyre, inflate it using either a gas canister or my home made tyre inflator (2litre pop bottle and some tubing), then when it is seated, deflate and add sealant.

The only punctures I have had in 4 years are when the sealant has dried out.

The only reason not to go tubeless is if you are a serial tyre swapper - it can get a bit of a pain fitting different tyres, so it's a good excuse to buy more wheels!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ray Young wrote:Does anyone who has gone tubeless still carry a tube in case of dire emegency?
Yes. Used once/twice in the last, erm, don't know how many years. A long time.
// goes off to find some wood to touch...
Ray Young wrote:Would those of you who have gone tubeless ever consider going back?
No. Last pair of tyres I wore out I inspected for thorns etc. Found about 7 in total, none of which manifested itself as a "puncture". In general, I find I have to check the pressure fairly often as they do loose air more readily than tubes tyres, but it's not a big deal. Changing tyres is a bit more of a chore, but not enough to get me back to tubes.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Do people actually get punctures that often?

Think i've only had 2 all year. Personally i'm not sure it's always worth the hassle, as you still have to carry a spare tube just in case.

I might try one day out of curiosity, but for now i'm still unsure
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Chew wrote:Do people actually get punctures that often?

Think i've only had 2 all year. Personally i'm not sure it's always worth the hassle, as you still have to carry a spare tube just in case.

I might try one day out of curiosity, but for now i'm still unsure
This is my thinking too. The main advantage I can see is being able to run lower pressures for more grip.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I've got some Bontrager tubeless wheels (no strips or things needed) that I tried tubeless on my full susser back in the summer. I used a maxxis high roller and a crossmark, just normal ones and no way on earth would they blow up without a compressor. Even got a mate to help who has run tubeless for years and he gave up so I had to run around the village and find someone with a compressor.

I ran them for a few months and didn't get a puncture but then I am not plagued by many punctures anyway. Came home from work one Friday and wanted to change the front tyre for an advantage, lots of pumping and swearing later all I had done is make a mess. Threw the bike in the corner and rode the Inbred instead. This carried on for another month till I wondered why I had a full susser anyway so I split it up and sold most of it off :roll:

I've still got the wheels, and they may go on the Inbred somewhen (with tubes) but I don't think tubeless is for me, just seems too much faff to fix a problem I don't have.

I might consider it if I had a cheap compressor so I knew I could change a tyre without any hassle
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My mate had Crossmarks that he found a nightmare to try and inflate tubelessly. My ignitors went up with no hassles when I used a bit of car shampoo to seal the edge, lube them.

I recently bought a tub of the tyre/rim lube On-One are selling. Using that a fresh pair of Nobby Nics on Crests went up with a track pump straight away with less faff than using the shampoo.

It appears to be hedge cutting week around here. I got a thorn in my rear tyre on the swift (still running tubes), my brother using tubes punctured front and rear, and my brother running ghetto tubeless......unaffected. :roll:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am a convert to tubeless and wouldn't go back. Not had one in 3 years which is a lot of miles. I do carry a spare tube and a tyre patch just in case but not needed. On a long tour last year I took some sealant as well. (In 2 months and 4,000 miles I used just a 5mm allen key).

On the road I still have tubes and regular punctures and carry 2 tubes and occasionally 3.