Did bikepacking save a life?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Did bikepacking save a life?

Post by JohnClimber »

I've had a day and night to think about it and maybe yesterday bike packing might of saved a life.

While out riding yesterday lunch time on the way home though a 125 ache local woods called Jubilee Woods, doing what all of us do all of the time.
Unlike other riders who mainly focus on what's up ahead, maybe chasing strava times, I and I'm guessing all of us scan the areas that we are riding through much more than others mainly looking for new potential bivi spots.

In the middle of the wood I noticed out of the corner of my eye in the far distance in a little clearing a bloke sitting back against a bag looking up towards the sun.
I thought that's a great little spot, but not wanting to disturb his chilling out I carried on thinking that I need to head back to that and a couple more spots in the area on another trip.

Several turns later I bumped in to 2 very stressed and upset women in there 20's, they were in tears but managed to blub out and ask if I'd seen a man wearing blue somewhere nearby? They said he had "issues" and needed to find him as quickly as possible.

I put 2 and 2 together and described what I'd seen a short while before, yes they said that sounds like him, they asked where he was, and rather than waste time trying to describe every twist and turn I went back with them.
They didn't want me to go on ahead to "disturb" him but they wanted me to show them exactly where he was, it's been may years since I've seen women cry in stress and then in relief when they knew that they had found their friend and he was OK, I didn't follow them into the area and rode away to carry on home.

I didn't like asking what was wrong or why he was there, but their body language spoke loads.

Now I'm not after a pat on the back or any patronising replies. I feel proud that I may have helped and who knows possibly helped save someone from something that possibly wasn't very nice.

So why bother typing this out?
It's just to remind you all just to keep an extra eye open for not only bivi spots but for people who need our help either directly or indirectly.

Keep em peeled
SeannyD

Re: Did bikepacking save a life?

Post by SeannyD »

Nice one John, good reminder.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't fault you John. You really never know what's out there. I'm not taking the piss for once - but even spotting injured / stuck animals is something many fail to see.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done john
Bearbonesnorm wrote: but even spotting injured / stuck animals is something many fail to see.
I must admit, I did wonder if I've ever managed to come across such a thing and "come to aid"... but then remembered that just on my 1st of 3, 85 miler commutes (managed the 3rd yesterday :-bd ), on the 78th mile whilst the light was failing me and I desperately didn't want to get late for work: spotted a daft (possibly baby as it was that small) rabbiy sat on the curb edge in the road. Rode past it at first due to my rush but didnt take me long to cintemplate and come back (to the rescue). It had already landed back on the crub but unsure which way to go. I appropriately wooshed my wheel at it to help it decide to run for the hedge!

Well done all and keep, keeping an eye out!

NB. Yes, I did ride down yesterday with a keen eye for potential bivi spots :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Nice one. Also to speak about it here.
Good reminder.

There have also been a few situations where an inquisitive nature, following weird sounds or going up towards 'boulders' which looked strange (despite climbing over obstacles), saved lives (mostly animals).
Making a phone call when seeing an accident rather than thinking 'oh, many must have seen it, it'll be taken care of' etc.

If you're outdoors a lot, helping (no matter how little or large the help may be) animals/people seems more of a question of when, not if.

I remember meeting a tourist up on a ridge - the very famous Brienzergrat - when our group of four bikepackers started droping down to a little hut in the dark. He was without maps, but minimal sleeping gear, no food or water. Instead of advising him to go to the nearest alp hut (north) one of us, who's not comfy in exposed terrain, less in the dark, walked down southwards to the hut we meant to stay for the night. We shared food - raclette and more - and drinks - beer, wine and whisky - with him and had a most enjoyable evening. He ended up quite pissed...
Next morning he followed the lower route to finish his hike and we enjoyed a lovely descent to the lake of Brienz.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Nice one John.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: I appropriately wooshed my wheel at it to help it decide to run for the hedge!
Small things count...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Quite some time ago I stayed over in Gregs Hut bothy. There was a guy already there who was walking the Pennine Way. There was something not quite right with him and over the course of the evening he opened up. He was a young soldier just back from the first Iran conflict. As a psychiatric nurse I just let him talk, no prying, just listening. I'd like to think I was some help to him.