Bar tape recommendations for loop bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

Bar tape recommendations for loop bars

Post by fatbikerbill »

So my new PX bars have arrived.

I'll be using ergo grips at the pointy ends.

Any particular bar tape recommendations please?

I'll go with Black though.
sean_iow

Re: Bar tape recommendations for loop bars

Post by sean_iow »

My favourite is this

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTPXNSG/p ... l-bar-tape

It obviously would have been better to order it at the same time as the bars to save postage #-O In the textured finish. Not as padded as some but I wear gloves anyway. It does seem to be very hard wearing so puts up with the rubbing of harness straps over it. Mine has done multiple events and trips (probably over 2000 miles) and is only just starting to show signs of wear at the locations I strap my bags on.

On my gravel bike I had a more hand friendly tape that came on the bike and the straps wore through the outer of the tape in a couple of hundred miles.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've done my Jones bars with Fizik (along with all the weird accents) bar tap, available in a couple of thicknesses and several textures.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had some Easton tape, I recall that was very good. The thick stuff from Evans (own brand) is good too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

fatbikerbill wrote:So my new PX bars have arrived.

I'll be using ergo grips at the pointy ends.

Any particular bar tape recommendations please?

I'll go with Black though.
The cannondale 3.5 thick is supposed to be bees knees... dont wrap it too tight. I have some and kinda like. Its the second layer
redefined_cycles

The thick stuff from Evans (if I'm talk8ng of the same stuff that Stu mentioning) comes with gel pads. They acrually work very well...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Supacaz stuff is great, thick, sticky and apparently long lasting too :-bd

Shall we say it’s on the premium side of pricing though...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Supacaz is great, I have that on my Alpkit Confucius bars with Ergons on the end. Avoid Lizard Skins DSP, I've found it falls to bits in less than a year and doesn't wrap easily. I mostly go for Cinelli and I've never been disappointed by it.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

So the SuperCaz is good for nice thick cushioning that won't collapse after x amount of miles. I did hear from a friend who got some that its highly rated in the Audax circles
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It's superb but eye wateringly expensive. It cost more than the bars it's wrapping :???: It's lasting well and you can scrub it clean unlike a lot of other tape.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fiver to the first person to wrap their bars in this.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it's for Jones Loops just use the cheapest you can find. It's not like you will be using it much.

Other than that, Lizard Skins DSP sets the Gold Standard others are judged against. It feels grippy even when wet meaning you don't have to grip the bars so tightly and even comes with functioning finish tape, something sadly missing from its competitors.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote:It's superb but eye wateringly expensive. It cost more than the bars it's wrapping :???: It's lasting well and you can scrub it clean unlike a lot of other tape.
Might give it a shot by having it as my top layer and retiring the cannondale stuff to the bottom. Thanks :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote:If it's for Jones Loops just use the cheapest you can find. It's not like you will be using it much.

Other than that, Lizard Skins DSP sets the Gold Standard others are judged against. It feels grippy even when wet meaning you don't have to grip the bars so tightly and even comes with functioning finish tape, something sadly missing from its competitors.
My experience of DSP was poor. Didn't wrap well first time. Got it wrapped after a couple of goes. It was very good but only for a few monthsand then disintegrated and looked way tatty. Replaced with Supacaz which is outperforming it imo
WSC
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mine are wrapped in Fizik, wifey's in Lizard Skin tape. The Fizik was just over £20 but it's had a lot of use and is still like new. The Lizard Skin stuff is the thickest they do (3mm I think), it's grippy and cleans up nicely, can't comment on it's long term durability.

Grips wise, I use ODI Longneck XL, wifey has ESI. The ODI's are a fair bit cheaper than the ESI grips and are doing well, so I'd recommend them. I rode the Divide using £4.99 for 4 Clarks grips. They were getting a bit thin and hard on the hands at the end, but are certainly good value for money.