The Distance event

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

The Distance event

Post by boxelder »

<Holds hand up as organiser with commercial interest, but it's probably of interest to a few here>

The Distance has been discussed here before, when it was in Galloway and last year in the Peak District. Chat was mainly around fires on beaches etc. As an event concept it was quite different in 2017, but now we see a few similar weekend bike packing events springing up.
Anyway, the reason for mentioning it here is to point out that this year's event, in the Lakes, will have lots of proper MTB route options, alongside the usual 'gravel' and 'gravel lite/adventure road' options. I realise it probably won't be of interest to hard Boners (ooh err missus), but for anyone fancying a sociable weekend's trail/road/gravel riding, carrying minimal overnight kit, without really knowing where you're heading, but knowing you'll have GPX/mapped routes to follow, it should be ideal. The aim is to keep you riding for ~ 8 hours at whatever pace you choose, to a decent camping spot with food and bar. It's not that expensive either.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: The Distance event

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I can see the appeal of this sort of event. I like going off on my own and being self-sufficient in the wilds for a few days. This is totally different, but I'd enjoy it too. It wouldn't be top of my list, and I'm away that weekend anyway, but if I were available I might consider doing it with some friends. Not sure I could stomach spending £65 for a night's camping and a meal though, but that might just be me. I am pretty tight.

Are you one of the people behind the Kielder 101 then boxelder?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

No it's not just you Mr wind I am a tight fisted midlander plus I don't like the idea of the constraints of having to ride a set mileage to get to the site or be there by such and such time ,but there is for definate lots of people out there who this would suit down to a tee,it's just horses for courses .I saw a few months back over on gnarrtrackworld there's a route not too disimilar to the big bear same again set camp spots over night with all the bells and whistles but it was a dam site more than £65 think it was around the £1000 mark for 5/6 days riding ( not totally the same as bigbear but very close distance and route) there was a big interest in that ,it may be that I'm just antisocial and I don't get on with many people why I wouldn't go on a ride like this :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a theme developing here - I am also tight BUT, I think £65 represents very good value and I to, think that there are lots of folk who would jump at that yet wouldn't perhaps want to venture out on their own or ride an event where they need to make more of their own choices. For many folk, cost isn't their prime concern but having a level of safety net / hand holding in place is. When you're not that way inclined, it can be hard to fully understand those who are, yet I believe 'we' are the minority by some margin :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm booked ok, multiple times in fact but that was promptly sorted out!

I do organised events, and I do stuff off the cuff under my own steam. It is a little pricey, but I guess you pay to ride the spirit of the event. Though i know that there is a genrtal spitit of an un organised event. Or even just a ride out and camp with mates or solo. There's a good spirit there too.

I honestly can't wait! :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I reckon there's a good market for this sort of event - at that sort of price. I won't be doing this one (I'll be on the Outer Hebrides) but I'd certainly be interested in more of the same.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

No personal interest in that type of thing but £65 isn't bad at all. Most 100km sportive events are at least £40 from what I see advertised.
The bit that caught my eye was the compulsory kit list. It has a flashing rear light on it. Rear light is clearly a good thing but flashing? Nothing more annoying than riding with other folk if they have flashing lights.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

wondered about emergency blanket when tent and mat and sleeping bag were also mandatory
Agree with the bear on who it is aimed at and dont really think it us.

I find it weird pricing these events [ i mean deciding what they should cost/what I would pay not charging per se] as essentially I can just ride where i want and camp for nowt

Best of luck but that area is familiar enough to me I can ride without mapping
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Are you one of the people behind the Kielder 101 then boxelder?
Yes, I was. Unfortunately the costs to do it properly was more than the desire from riders to enter (at least in time to allow us to commit). It was, in my biased view) a great route. We now do the Dirty Reiver, so still heavily involved in that lovely place.
I don't like the idea of the constraints of having to ride a set mileage to get to the site or be there by such and such time
and that's sort of the point of it Sir - you ride at the pace you're comfortable with, reach a checkpoint, and we give you a map/section to suit that pace. If you arrive late, you just get a shorter next leg. No pressure.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

As I said it's horses for courses , it's not just the set times it's having a set place to camp ,I like to go as far or as little as I feel like ,like we all seem to agree there's a great market for these events for people who want definates in there ride ,me I like a loose plan and see where it goes ,there's no right or wrong it's just what gives the most pleasure for that person (+I did say I was a bit antisocial :lol: )
postierich

Post by postierich »

Looks like a great event will be showing my face at some stage and helping out hope to see lots of Boners on skinny tyres :-)